Happy Thanksgiving - What are you doing?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Ziggy

Happy Thanksgiving - What are you doing?

Post by Ziggy »

NOTE: This thread is originally from 2010.

2023 bump here

2020 bump here

2019 bump here

2018 bump here

2017 bump here

2016 bump here

2015 bump here

2014 bump here.

2013 bump here

2012 bump here

Happy Thanks Giving, everyone! What are you guys and girls doing today?

Any one that got to know me better through PMs and IMs probably knows the hell I go through this time of year at my job. Luckily, I have a little seniority after being there 6 years now. So I got smart and request days off like today and tomorrow months in advance. Today is my first day off since the 15th!

So I woke up a little after 9, which is now 'sleeping in' for me :lol: , and turned on the Macy Day's Parade. I think they should have less musical stuff and more awesome floats. I don't even care much for the Parade to be honest. It's just that for years I'd be working at this time and thinking, "I'd rather be home watching the parade". Though Tom & Jerry is on, so I keep switching back and forth.

Any one see the Google homepage today?

So does any one else tie the memory of video games to specific days? Years ago, when I was young, I was playing Hook for SNES on Thanks Giving. Now that game reminds me of Thanks Giving. The music in the level with the waterfall, with the pirates in the hot air balloons, super reminds me of Thanks Giving. So much so that any time of the year if I play that song in my head I'll think of Thanks Giving. It's weird.

A few years ago I was just starting to play Bioshock. So now when I see the beginning of the game, when you're swimming up to the lighthouse, I remember Thanks Giving. Now I just got DKC Returns in yesterday, I wonder if it will give me a memory now. Any one have any video game memories tied to the holiday?

So what are you guys doing today? Going out? Staying in? Working? Not being able to enjoy yourself cause you gotta be at your job at midnight to start your Black Friday shift?
Last edited by Ziggy on Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:52 am, edited 8 times in total.
swiftzx
Next-Gen

Re: Happy Thanx Given - What are you doing?

Post by swiftzx »

I got Quake III arena new last year on thankgiving and still have vivid memories of playing it 8) also, a couple of years ago, I caught Palkia in Pokemon Pearl on Thanksgiving. Those are the only two video game related thanksgiving that I can recall from the top of my head at the moment.
Sale thread (please buy!): viewtopic.php?f=22&t=19428
ReddMcKnight
128-bit

Post by ReddMcKnight »

I am going to my Grandma's House for Thanksgiving Dinner, and while I'm there, I'm gonna play my PSP when I'm not eating. lol. :D
Made by the extremely talented MrAfterFx!
My Blog, Hardcore Old-School: http://www.rfgeneration.com/blogs/ReddMcKnight/
girlracer
Next-Gen

Post by girlracer »

Having Dinner, already played Hoy Pursuit on the PC, prob play undead nightmare and I just got GT5 so I'll try to play it as well. Just a lazy day, don't plan on going anywhere.
tommyboy8689
24-bit

Post by tommyboy8689 »

headin off to my girls grandmas... my family all went to michigan and left me behind this year... im upset too cause im not allowed to bring any games with me :cry: she says i should spend time with her "family" i say screw that pass the sweet potatoes!
blackmagepwns
32-bit

Post by blackmagepwns »

tommyboy8689 wrote:headin off to my girls grandmas... my family all went to michigan and left me behind this year... im upset too cause im not allowed to bring any games with me :cry: she says i should spend time with her "family" i say screw that pass the sweet potatoes!

Yeah I feel your pain, When I'm finally not in classes I'm forced to talk to family that doesn't give two craps about what I'm doing, so I brought my DS anyway, time for some FFIV and shit. 8)

Enjoy your various holiday foods people.
Contagion13
32-bit

Post by Contagion13 »

Im spending thanksgiving with my wife and friend, then after we eat im going to bring dinner to my friends who have to work today (some of the soldiers who I work with in the army) and then come home relax and play some dead rising and megaman x4 :)
"I'm not the jury or the judge, I am the gallows and the noose!" ~TOTA
"YES I KNOW THE GAME IS IN FREAKIN JAPANESE!!!!!!!!!!!"
xan_racketBOY_fan
Next-Gen

Post by xan_racketBOY_fan »

The usual family gathering, stuffing myself with good eats and having turkey sandwiches for the next week - and play some DKC Returns with the wife this weekend :lol:
jp1
Next-Gen

Post by jp1 »

Dinner with immediate family for lunch.

Dinner with in-laws for supper.

Pass out from all the overeating.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone! Hope you all have a great day.
Para
128-bit

Post by Para »

Canadian Thanks Giving was last month. :C