Happy Thanksgiving - What are you doing?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Anapan
Next-Gen

Re: Happy Thanksgiving - What are you doing?

Post by Anapan »

Heard it was american thanksgiving and immediately craved turkey. In the middle a major plumbing revamp that involved the hot water tank and main line so while grabbing some new fittings I decide to stop by the new butcher that opened last week. They had a stuffing-stuffed turkey breast pre made - so much better and the breast and thigh I planned to get - a 6lb stuffed turkey breast stuffed with Southern Sausage type stuffing.
Being my first time there I saw so many things I want to try cooking! It's usually hard to get even local wild game meat (the guys who hunt it are friends with guys I used to know but don't want to be friends with anymore due to all of their connections...).
This place has whole dressed rabbit, kangaroo in several cuts & ground, elk steaks and other cuts & burgers, wild boar- MythBusters said it's more like ground chicken than the real thing! So cool; That really made my day. I love ground elk in spaghetti better than beef when the marinara is done right (slow roasted over hours with the meat acid-cured to perfection) Also, spend a lot of the day covered in pipe compound and other quick-curing nasties. Tomorrow will better.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

laurenhiya21 wrote:
Markies wrote:
laurenhiya21 wrote:I'm celebrating with just my fiance's family. As much as it would be nice to have my family over as well, Canada celebrates Thanksgiving in early October so it doesn't line up very well.

Two Thanksgivings in Two Months doesn't sound too bad...

Ah I only end up celebrating one Thanksgiving. I don't get time off for Canadian Thanksgiving and it's kind of difficult to go up to Canada for just a weekend. I wish I could celebrate two though!

Get your parents to move to Vancouver, then going up for a weekend becomes completely doable.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Ack

Post by Ack »

I'm spending the week with my girlfriend's family for Thanksgiving. We have been together for years, but since her folks live in Virginia, this is my first time coming up here. It's only my third time meeting them in fact. But things have gone well, and everything has been very nice.

That said, I do get ragged on for playing computer games so much...
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Ack wrote:That said, I do get ragged on for playing computer games so much...

Hope it's not the "what kinda grown man plays kiddie video games" shtick.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Oh no, not at all. More a "join in the conversation" bit. My girlfriend's mom went on a long story about how much she is into Candy Crush, so my hobbies are accepted.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Visited the parents, had way too much to eat, and hit a few Black Friday sales today. At which I actually bought nothing. I know, right? I honestly didn't see a lot of gaming deals I cared to jump on.

(Online, however, I did order a Turbo EverDrive. 20% off on KRIKzz's store.)

(I'm also going to throw out the fact that my Dad makes the most amazing chicken and dressing on the planet. Perhaps a hyperbolic statement, but only slightly so. That recipe has probably been in the family for nearly 100 years.)
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Ack

Post by Ack »

Beer and popcorn? Sounds like a good meal to me.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Planned on having a quiet Thanksgiving at home with the kids. My wife works today because she is a nurse and I planned on making a small Thanksgiving just for us. The in-laws Thanksgiving is a culinary apocalypse with a turkey slow-cooked for 48 hours and comes out like very tough leather, soupy stuffing, pies burnt to a crisp and lime jello mixed with cottage cheese. It is disgusting.

So we decided to stay home... And they invited themselves over to our house. So not only am I cooking a Thanksgiving for my family, but I have to make a special Different meal for them because they don't like our cooking because it has, "too much flavor" and we do things like use a seasoning other than onion soup mix and cook with visible fruits and vegetables (which they will refuse to eat anything with visible fruit or vegetables.)

So I have to make them food for. Them... Shake and bake chicken in addition to our turkey, canned gravy and instant mashed potatoes and a bread crumb stuffing with no vegetables.

To make matters worse, I have help. A brooding teenager who outright tells my 3 year old that he hates a song she was really excited to share with him and his idea of playing with her is getting on his laptop and saying, "uh-huh" at set intervals when she tries to talk to him so I sent him into our bedroom to be alone because I am not dealing with that shit.

So I have to make two Thanksgiving meals by myself, wrangle my two children by myself and have it all hot and ready at the same time (because my in laws refuse to eat reheated food.) Hooray!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
johnblade
32-bit

Post by johnblade »

Already have Thanksgiving up here in Canada. Just watching random video on the go for fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fW2IK3lnt4