Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
grittykitty
forever 16-bit

loving the games everyone else hates

by grittykitty Sat May 12, 2007 12:35 am

due to the unexpected popularity of my previous topic, i decided to do a 180 and ask - have you ever found yourself loving the games everyone hates?

i remember having mild fun (admittedly not LOVING it though) with deadly arts for n64. at the time it was released, it got really bad reviews in the gaming mags i read but i liked the idea of customizable fighters so i gave it a try. it wasn't street fighter, but it thrilled me to play with characters that looked like they were from dragonball z (i was a huge fanboy at the time). i also enjoyed ranma 1/2 hard battle in those days, despite the low reviews because you had to press x or b instead of the up arrow to jump - you could change this in the settings, but a lot of magazines overlooked this. but again, it was probably my fanboy bias kicking in. that's all a thing of the past for me now though :)
Let's TRADE! : check my BST thread
Yackom
32-bit

by Yackom Sat May 12, 2007 3:17 am

I have a fascination with FMV games like Space Ace, Braindead 13 ect.
bustaballs
24-bit

by bustaballs Sat May 12, 2007 4:49 am

I don't know many games that everyone hates. However, if you were to go by "bad" reviews then there are many.
Intangir
16-bit

by Intangir Sat May 12, 2007 5:22 am

I'll go with Dungeon Lords.

I beat it twice, back-to-back. And, somehow, with the stars overhead configured in some specific manner, I managed to enjoy it. There wasn't a whole lot going for it and it was pretty barren, but I remember liking the combat. I had a 90-minute fight with a dragon ("fire-drake") in some weird area not meant to be traversed (not on the map) as a newbie-level character toting a wussy little bow. I wasn't even proficient with bows to begin with, but it was the only way that I could hope to survive by avoiding its fireballs and melee. It was a great fight--I remember it much more vividly than any fight in Fable. Hell, I even remember the rampaging circus troll fight better than most of the fights in Fable.

I hear the Collector's Edition (read as: thoroughly patched) elevates the game to "mediocre," but I was in it from its unpatched beginnings when the masses had still yet to gather their pitchforks and torches and make their collective journey to Heuristic Park's forum to unleash their trite, overblown diatribes. And as they were scoffing at the uneven waters (seas) on the map's edges, I had a screenshot of it as my wallpaper. I thought it looked really neat in some abstract, other-worldly way.
zarcon6
8-bit

by zarcon6 Sat May 12, 2007 8:02 am

Only one I can think of is State of Emergency. I thought it was just some good mindless fun.
aaron
Next-Gen

by aaron Sat May 12, 2007 8:27 am

gadget racers (aka choro q something-or-other) for PS2. i played the hell out of it, getting all the cars, all the items, tracks, bonuses... it was awesome.

i also liked the burger king xbox games.
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Sat May 12, 2007 9:00 am

Wow -- this is a challenge to think about...

First one that comes to mind is Sewer Shark. I actually spent a lot of time with that game. Sure the acting was cheesy and the gameplay was repetitive, but there was some charm about the FMV (Dogmeat!) and it was actually challenging in a good way. Never got terribly far though -- it ain't easy!

Most people didn't like Re-Volt for the Dreamcast, but I think it's a solid and rather unique kart-like racer. Maybe they only played the less-smooth N64 version...
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Sat May 12, 2007 1:12 pm

Well I am one of John Romero's "bitches" if the old ad campaign was correct. My old college friends and I fire up Daikatana everyonce and a while because the coop wasnt that bad, and the multiplayer is actually pretty decent. It very much didnt live up to the hype, but slaughtering the opposing team with a fully automatic shotgun as I fly over them is always fun in my book.
Mozgus
Next-Gen

by Mozgus Sat May 12, 2007 1:17 pm

racketboy wrote:Most people didn't like Re-Volt for the Dreamcast, but I think it's a solid and rather unique kart-like racer. Maybe they only played the less-smooth N64 version...

People hated that game? I grabbed it because I actually heard good things. I like it. Cant stand that voice in the theme song though.

Bah dah bah bah dah pop!
Last edited by Mozgus on Sat May 12, 2007 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Sat May 12, 2007 1:55 pm

Mozgus wrote:
racketboy wrote:Most people didn't like Re-Volt for the Dreamcast, but I think it's a solid and rather unique kart-like racer. Maybe they only played the less-smooth N64 version...

People hated that game? I grabbed it because I actually heard good things. I like it. Cant stand that voice in the theme song.

Bah dah bah bah dah pop!

Yeah, there have been a few people that complained when I've brought it up as a recommended game.
Not sure what the general consensus is...
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever