Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
hashiriya1
Next-Gen

Re: Bay Area, CA Racketboy member's meet up planning - who's in?

by hashiriya1 Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:56 am

Lokkenjawnz wrote:
hashiriya1 wrote:Yeah, 707 answered for me, I am in. Sunnyvale Golfland Arcade! Wooooo! Actually, I haven't been there in almost 10 years, I don't know if it is still the arcade gaming mecca it once was.

I've been there relatively recently, and I don't know what it was like last time you went, but it's definitely not what I would call an arcade mecca. They have a lot of rhythm games, and a lot of fighting games (mostly more modern ones), and that's really it. I remember there being a single proper Neo Geo cab, and the joystick for player 1 was broken. Very disappointing. There's an arcade in SJ called Nickel City though, and it's got a pretty wide selection of games for pretty decent prices. They also have a free wall in the back with some older games. It's a place to consider anyways.

I would say the last time I went there was when SF Alpha 3 came out. Back then they had so many cool ass games and my buddy's gf worked there and she gave him tons of free tokens, so he shared them with me and we played fighting games. A lot of Capcom staff played there and they even used that arcade as a testing ground for unreleased material. The Milpitas golfland arcade was also kickass. I won an Alpha 2 tournament, woo! But I suck at fighting games now.

I pass by Nickel City all the time (off the Camden exit from 85), but I have never gone inside. I've been meaning to but never got a chance. I wouldn't mind meeting there but it is a bit far for most of the Bay Areans on this site.

To Sevin: I am going to pass by Milpitas Golfland sometime during the week to check it out. I haven't been there since the 90s! I will take pics and post them here and perhaps that could also be a place.
Lokkenjawnz
128-bit

by Lokkenjawnz Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:12 am

I'd recommend checking out Nickel City if you get a chance. You pay a like $2 cover charge to get in, and then all the games are played with, as the name would suggest, nickels. Some of the games still cost quite a few nickels, but on the whole it's pretty cheap, and the variety of games is good. They've even got a GigaWing cabinet! It's hard to find good shmups in the arcades these days, so that's very refreshing.

Give it a shot if you've got a chance to.

One thing we might want to figure out is where in the Bay Area everyone is. I'm down in Santa Cruz, so I'm probably the furthest south of us, but I don't know how far north we reach, so that would probably be a good place to figure out a middle ground that's relatively easy for everyone to get to.
My Want List!

Consoles: Sega Master System, NES Toploader, Genesis/32X, Sega CDX, SNES, 3DO FZ-1, Sega Saturn, Nintendo 64, Sega Dreamcast, Sony PS2, Nintendo Gamecube, Xbox Halo Edition, Wii, PS3
Handhelds: Atari Lynx, Sega Nomad, Neo Geo Pocket Color, GBC (Atomic Purple, Pokemon Edition), GBA (Pink OG, Silver SP, Spongebob SP+), DS (Phat, iXL), 3DS, PSP (1000, Go)
sevin0seven
Next-Gen

by sevin0seven Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:15 pm

hashiriya1 wrote:To Sevin: I am going to pass by Milpitas Golfland sometime during the week to check it out. I haven't been there since the 90s! I will take pics and post them here and perhaps that could also be a place.

sounds cool :) .i've updated the first post on all possible location with their website for everyone to check it out.

Lokkenjawnz wrote:One thing we might want to figure out is where in the Bay Area everyone is. I'm down in Santa Cruz, so I'm probably the furthest south of us, but I don't know how far north we reach, so that would probably be a good place to figure out a middle ground that's relatively easy for everyone to get to.

i'm coming from San Pablo (510).
Visit my stores: Mercari Store, sevin0seven RacketBoy Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
Bradtemple87
Next-Gen

by Bradtemple87 Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:35 pm

I live in pleasanton (925), but I would be willing to meet anywhere as long as it is in reasonable distance. Sadly, most of the arcades now are filled with redemption games. Dave & Busters does have a few things over there though last time I visited maybe 6 months ago, plus we can grab some beers presuming everyone is of age of course.
MY Sale/Trade Thread
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=27739
hashiriya1
Next-Gen

by hashiriya1 Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:51 pm

Bradtemple87 wrote:I live in pleasanton (925)

I am in Dublin!

I work in San Jose, but I am open to pretty much anywhere in the bay.
Bradtemple87
Next-Gen

by Bradtemple87 Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:20 pm

hashiriya1 wrote:

I am in Dublin!

haha thats awesome
MY Sale/Trade Thread
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=27739
sevin0seven
Next-Gen

by sevin0seven Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:24 pm

Bradtemple87 wrote:
hashiriya1 wrote:

I am in Dublin!

haha thats awesome

925 connection!
Visit my stores: Mercari Store, sevin0seven RacketBoy Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
Dakinggamer87
Next-Gen

by Dakinggamer87 Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:39 am

I'm coming from Silicon Valley. 8)
Odyssey,Vectrex,Atari 2600,5200,7800,Intellivision,Colecovision,NES,Master System,SNES,Genesis,32X,CD,CDX,Virtual Boy,TG-16,Neo-Geo AES,Jaguar+CD,PSX,PSOne,Saturn,3DO,N64,DC,PS2,Xbox,GCN,Wii,Xbox 360,PS3,GB,GB Pocket,GBC,Lynx,Game Gear,Nomad,NGPC,GBA,GBA SP,GB Micro,DS,PSP,PSP Slim,WS,WS Color,3DS,Vita,PC,iPhone,WiiU
A/V:55" Samsung 3D LED TV, Onkyo 7.1 TX-SR605 HTS
My gaming collection
dgamemuster
128-bit

by dgamemuster Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:50 pm

Hayward 510 FTW! 8)
arnold_the_bartender
64-bit

by arnold_the_bartender Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:00 pm

I used to live away from Nickel city on Branham lane withing walking distance but I moved to the east side of San Jose back in late '08 so I'm up in the mountain area. I'm more closer to Milpitas now though.

In case anyone is wondering, I'm in the (408).

I'm fine with Nickel City since I've been there before but it's been a while. My friend told me about 2 weeks ago that there were monitors just out and the classic games on the side wall were all blocked off either for repairs or something else.

Edit: Count me in, as long as it's on a weekend because that's when I'll have transportation. I can do Friday if the place is close where I can just take the VTA or something.

Also, I'm up for hanging out at my place as an alternative. Maybe we can have a game gathering and bring our consoles over and play. I have a separate collection room (I've been meaning to film an update) we can hang out in.
Last edited by arnold_the_bartender on Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What a maneuver!

My j00tube channel: http://www.youtube.com/arnoldthebartender
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever