Random Thoughts Thread

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
stickem
Next-Gen

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

Post by stickem »

RCBH928 wrote:Speaking of the devil, I coincidentally found myself watching the movie "Rookie of The Year" . I didn't think baseball shares popularity with soccer in Japan, but its just what I think not what I know. I am surprised to learn soccer is picking up in USA. I never understood why it was not any more popular in US&Canada. Its the #1 national sport near world wide. You would think it should be since USA&Canada is an immigrants country so they should bring that thing over with them. Maybe they finally did.

I think I heard basketball is promoted by the NBA in China as investment to make money off those 1 billion people in the growing economy. Surely stadiums will be sold out. I think they are trying to make a local franchise of their teams. I wonder if that works, like Beijing Lakers and LA Lakers.

i would say soccer is the most played here as far as youth. after that the better athletes go play other sports. it's way down the list as far as viewers/watched on tv.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

The good thing about soccer is its accessible to everyone no need for special setup or tools like hockey sticks or baseball bats.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Got 32GB micro-SD card for about $13. What has this world come to. Around 2002 I got a computer for about $2000 ($2900 FFI) that had 80GB hard disk... Its even micro-SD not full SD. Tech is crazy...
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

Did anyone catch what happened at the blizzard conference? Copyright is at a strange place

https://twitter.com/Slasher/status/1362901765029527553

I did read too that Mickey Mouse's copyright will expire in 3 years. Curious to see what will happen.
marurun

Post by marurun »

The original Steamboat Mickey is already in the public domain, but the Mickey Mouse trademark lives forever. And only ancient versions of Mickey Mouse are available to folks.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

I got a laptop from Windows 8 days. Has CPU which is like i5-m232 and an HDD. I mean I know its an older computer, but this thing moves in slow motion. Even Win 3.1 was faster than this. Launching an app can take up to a minute, even an Explorer window. The weird thing is that plays games just fine, like Ikaruga plays smooth like 60FPS. One thing to note is that the GPU is damaged, sometimes the screen would stop working and it will display random pink+white blocks which is resolved with a restart.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Had to through couple of old laptops. I felt sorry. It has like 4GB ram, HDD, functioning DVD writer drives, working display, batteries, charge bricks, keyboard and not to mention the Windows license. I feel like somehow this could put into good use. But who wants a 7-10 year second hand old laptop, literally worthless usability wise and fixing anything in it is probably going to cost more than its worth.

Any one has a smart use case for 300 and 500 GB drives? I could use them for backups but they are old so I don't know if its a smart idea to use it as a backup drive. I am starting to have a bank of older but smaller drives.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

RCBH928 wrote:Had to through couple of old laptops. I felt sorry. It has like 4GB ram, HDD, functioning DVD writer drives, working display, batteries, charge bricks, keyboard and not to mention the Windows license. I feel like somehow this could put into good use. But who wants a 7-10 year second hand old laptop, literally worthless usability wise and fixing anything in it is probably going to cost more than its worth.

Actually, there are people that want a 7-10 year old laptop. They can definitely still be useful, especially if you can't afford something new (such as a college student).

My laptop is actually at least 10 years old now. It's still in great condition, primarily because I don't use it a lot. The battery still holds a charge, though I have no idea how long it lasts since I rarely use it on battery power. It is a first or second gen Core i3, so not the best CPU but more than adequate for internet and office stuff. It came with 4 GB of RAM but I've upgraded it to 8 GB. It came with Windows 7, but I haven't used it since it lost support. I got a Samsung EVO SSD when it was on sale and set it up with Windows 10. I also have an old SSD that I setup with Linux, which can be perfect for old PCs. And definitely perfectly usable for a college student that just needs internet and office stuff.

RCBH928 wrote:Any one has a smart use case for 300 and 500 GB drives? I could use them for backups but they are old so I don't know if its a smart idea to use it as a backup drive. I am starting to have a bank of older but smaller drives.

Here's some I can think of...

You can set it up in a PS2 with FMCB/OPL and boot games from it. There's ways to use a PATA HDD with a Dreamcast. And the MODE, which is an ODE for Dreamcast, Saturn and PS1, can use a HDD for storage.

If it's an old drive with a lot of miles, I can understand not wanting to use it for long term backups and archiving. But you still can, just keep an eye on the SMART values. Or, if you have a desktop, you can set up an old HDD to use as a scratch drive. Photoshop or most video and editing software can be set up to use an alternative drive for temporary and working files. This can give you better performance, and also keeps wear and tear off of your main drives. You can even utilize a scratch drive for software like 7-Zip, were you might not want to write temp files to your SSD all the time.

You can use an old HDD with a Raspberry Pi for any number of things.

You can get an external HDD enclosure for it, which is literally just a case for the HDD that adapts it to USB or whatever so they're usually pretty cheap. Then you can use it as a big flash drive. Or, some routers have a USB port that can be used to share devices like a printer or HDD. If you put your HDD in an enclosure, you could use it with such a router as a share drive.

There's probably plenty of other uses for an old HDD.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

Windows 95/98/XP computers seem to be on the rise too, at least for parts. I've seen some graphics cards go up to like $150 CAD.

I definitely gotta build one myself soon too as emulation for games of that era are quite flawed.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

PretentiousHipster wrote:Windows 95/98/XP computers seem to be on the rise too, at least for parts. I've seen some graphics cards go up to like $150 CAD.

Good, I'm sitting on a gold mine!