Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
User avatar
marurun
Moderator
 
Posts: 10214
Joined: Sat May 06, 2006 8:51 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

by marurun Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:47 am

That's a pretty racially insensitive meme that leans hard into some stereotypes (I know it's inspired by a particular film, but the reason it's so catchy is because the line it borrows plays into western stereotypes about how people in African countries often speak English). I don't think the meme creators were trying to be offensive, but ignorance is no longer an excuse for insensitive offenses.

The drawing of Knuckles, however, is pretty boss.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
User avatar
PretentiousHipster
128-bit
 
Posts: 522
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:10 am
Location: Canada

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

by PretentiousHipster Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:45 pm

Gonna have the most random video title on my channel in like 2-3 weeks, but it's absolutely true: The therapeutic lessons I've learned from shmups
User avatar
Ziggy587
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 13167
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:12 pm
Location: NY

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

by Ziggy587 Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:45 am

That's great that smoke alarms will chirp when the battery is low or it's at it's end of life, but why does that ALWAYS seem to happen overnight while you're sleeping? I've never had one start chirping during the day. It's always at like 3 AM!
Image

My Sale Thread - 7% off all marked prices!! SNES and N64 added! I am selling around three quarters of my video game collection as well as some other odds and ends!

I want to buy Universal Game Cases, if you have any spares please PM me! I'm looking to only deal with members that have good BST feedback on this forum.
User avatar
MrPopo
Moderator
 
Posts: 23152
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:01 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

by MrPopo Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:56 am

Ziggy587 wrote:That's great that smoke alarms will chirp when the battery is low or it's at it's end of life, but why does that ALWAYS seem to happen overnight while you're sleeping? I've never had one start chirping during the day. It's always at like 3 AM!

You did change the battery, right? You aren't just going to leave it chirping for three months like certain callers of a radio program I used to listen to do?
Image
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
User avatar
marurun
Moderator
 
Posts: 10214
Joined: Sat May 06, 2006 8:51 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

by marurun Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:07 pm

MrPopo wrote:
Ziggy587 wrote:That's great that smoke alarms will chirp when the battery is low or it's at it's end of life, but why does that ALWAYS seem to happen overnight while you're sleeping? I've never had one start chirping during the day. It's always at like 3 AM!

You did change the battery, right? You aren't just going to leave it chirping for three months like certain callers of a radio program I used to listen to do?


It's actually harder these days to find units with replaceable batteries than it is the sealed Lithium battery units.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
User avatar
Ziggy587
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 13167
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:12 pm
Location: NY

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

by Ziggy587 Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:33 pm

Actually, it was a combo smoke / CO alarm that's hardwired with a battery backup. The chirp was the "end of life" signal. Two short chirps every 30 seconds, and there's no way to get it to stop. I've already ordered a replacement. It comes Friday. And don't worry, there's plenty of other smoke and CO alarms in the house until the new one arrives.

Yes, I've noticed that modern alarms have non-replaceable batteries that are good for the life of the unit. The last couple that I bought have those, that's a nice feature. They'll still chirp when the alarm should be replaced though.

There's also the expensive Nest alarms that have a feature where they wont chirp for low battery while you're sleeping.
Image

My Sale Thread - 7% off all marked prices!! SNES and N64 added! I am selling around three quarters of my video game collection as well as some other odds and ends!

I want to buy Universal Game Cases, if you have any spares please PM me! I'm looking to only deal with members that have good BST feedback on this forum.
User avatar
RCBH928
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 5283
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:40 am

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

by RCBH928 Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:12 pm

I don't know where the joke of Rick Rolling comes from but honestly the song is not bad its just too stereotypical of the time it comes from. According to my calculation, the artist is more than happy with the meme as it has generated $8M from ad revenue(if its monetized).

trivia: One guy on Reddit, Rick Rolled Rick Astley(the artist) in an AMA by placing a link claiming it was a picture he took with him when he was younger :lol: :lol: :lol:
User avatar
Ziggy587
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 13167
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:12 pm
Location: NY

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

by Ziggy587 Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:17 pm

Pretty sure it started because one person made the troll video and it was just too funny so it caught on with copycats doing the same thing. Whoever the first person to do it was, I wonder if anyone believe him or her. That's like saying you were the first person to say "LOL" or something. Yeah, right.

That bit of trivia is pretty funny though. How wonderfully meta.
Image

My Sale Thread - 7% off all marked prices!! SNES and N64 added! I am selling around three quarters of my video game collection as well as some other odds and ends!

I want to buy Universal Game Cases, if you have any spares please PM me! I'm looking to only deal with members that have good BST feedback on this forum.
User avatar
stickem
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1875
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:57 pm
Location: nashville,tn.

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

by stickem Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:20 pm

RCBH928 wrote:I don't know where the joke of Rick Rolling comes from but honestly the song is not bad its just too stereotypical of the time it comes from. According to my calculation, the artist is more than happy with the meme as it has generated $8M from ad revenue(if its monetized).

trivia: One guy on Reddit, Rick Rolled Rick Astley(the artist) in an AMA by placing a link claiming it was a picture he took with him when he was younger :lol: :lol: :lol:


Watched a live concert video of foo fighters bringing him onstage for a rock remix of that song. It was pretty cool!
User avatar
RCBH928
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 5283
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:40 am

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

by RCBH928 Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:06 pm

Ziggy587 wrote:Pretty sure it started because one person made the troll video and it was just too funny so it caught on with copycats doing the same thing.


but why that song specifically :lol:
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests