Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
marurun

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

by marurun Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:47 am

RCBH928 wrote:
marurun wrote:
RCBH928 wrote:I never appreciated the importance of fonts until I saw the first wave of iOS games(and still some). Text in games seemed like a plugged in word documents, making it look something close to proof of concept. I still don't know why fonts were this terrible on iOS.

Don't blame iOS. Blame devs. They're just playing things SUPER safe. iOS runs on devices with a wide range of screen resolutions, and so text needs to be visible on even relatively small screens. Many developers handle this by using a really bland line font. There are far better ways. Android has the same issue for a lot of its apps.

ahhh...so that is the reason? I thought iOS didn't have built in support for fonts in games or something. But how does this makes sense when a lot of websites use many different fonts, and websites are viewed from anything as small as a wrist watch all the way to 4K TV.

Web coding has some accommodations for this, between responsive design and separate mobile sites. Developing a web site is VERY different from generating text and UI in games. You can use custom graphical fonts in games, but there are lots of text functions as well. Games are just programs. Any functions any other program can use a game can use. Games tend to behave very differently from many other apps, so developers may use few if any of the in-built UI functions. The reason, say, the mobile Chrono Trigger port uses fonts that don't fit with the rest of the game is a decision made by the developers and not a function of iOS or Android.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:58 am

marurun wrote:Web coding has some accommodations for this, between responsive design and separate mobile sites. Developing a web site is VERY different from generating text and UI in games. You can use custom graphical fonts in games, but there are lots of text functions as well. Games are just programs. Any functions any other program can use a game can use. Games tend to behave very differently from many other apps, so developers may use few if any of the in-built UI functions. The reason, say, the mobile Chrono Trigger port uses fonts that don't fit with the rest of the game is a decision made by the developers and not a function of iOS or Android.

It went over my head that websites are able to customize themselves based on browser and device on the opposite of the static code of games.
PretentiousHipster
64-bit

by PretentiousHipster Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:49 pm

The fact that my all time favourite album somehow turned into a huge creepypasta, especially among teens, to the point that they're doing "challenges" of trying to hear it all in one sitting, is the most surreal thing of 2020.

https://thequietus.com/articles/29098-t ... -interview
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

by SamuraiMegas Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:31 pm

Started applying for new jobs, as mine is an hour away from Denton. It's kinda weird, I'm applying to a bunch of easy retail type jobs and I literally KNOW I'm able to get hired on just about anywhere I want now with the experience I have ( I am the sole employee at the vapeshop I work at, so I ran the place almost entirely by myself over the summer). In fact, I just applied at a Game Xchange (they start at 7.25... hopefully I can get a bit more than that if they call me) and was able to put down that I write articles on here on my resume.

unrelated: It's kinda funny walking into retro game stores like that, where the workers often don't know tons about the stuff they have. They'll ask me if I need any help and I have to fight quoting Ron Swanson- "I know more than you" :lol:
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
PretentiousHipster
64-bit

by PretentiousHipster Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:36 pm

$7.25?! That's $9.56 CAD. That's ridiculous for salary here in Canada. I work as a part-time dishwasher and make $15 CAD ($11.37 USD)
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

by SamuraiMegas Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:48 pm

PretentiousHipster wrote:$7.25?! That's $9.56 CAD. That's ridiculous for salary here in Canada. I work as a part-time dishwasher and make $15 CAD ($11.37 USD)

Dude, you're telling me... I get 10/hr cash currently, 7.25 probably won't pay my meager bills unless I'm at work 24/7. I really, really love my current job and I'm great at it; but the distance is too much and I can't keep consistent hours with the shop being slow due to COVID. I'm sure I'll find something that pays at least 10~ if i look hard enough.
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
stickem
Next-Gen

by stickem Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:55 pm

Dam fast food places are starting at 15/hr in my area. Places still pay only 7.25? Is it 1998 still. Dam even general warehouse is 10 or more.
marurun

by marurun Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:17 pm

Federal minimum wage hasn’t budged in ages.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:13 pm

stickem wrote:Dam fast food places are starting at 15/hr in my area. Places still pay only 7.25? Is it 1998 still. Dam even general warehouse is 10 or more.

$15/hr for fast food? I thought those employees get paid minimum wage and employees are usually teenagers. $15 is decent pay for fast food employee.
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:38 pm

Animaniacs reboot trailer is awesome
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeOrUvOPfgg
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever