Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
isiolia
Next-Gen

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

by isiolia Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:11 am

RCBH928 wrote:CRTs were more expensive to ship, but I wonder if the shipping of a 75 LCD equals '40 CRT, because what was lost in weight was gained in size. CRT were definitely heavier and therefor more expensive to ship but I recall prices were similar, does this mean that the manufacturer kept the cost savings?

Unlikely. While CRT screen size was smaller (the largest ones were what, maybe 40-42"?) they were much deeper, and of course could weigh several hundred pounds at that point. Modern flat panel screens are only large in a couple dimensions.

That said, shipping would have largely been to retail outlets, and the common models would have been much smaller. HD CRTs were not cheap at the time (the Sony 34XBNR960 people go for now had a $2200 MSRP), comparing to higher tier models of TV today. More typically, people would have been buying maybe a 27-32" TV for a few hundred bucks, and even the lower tier 55-60" flat panel they might buy today is a major improvement. Especially if you consider the level of standard features, integrated smart features, etc.
stickem
Next-Gen

by stickem Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:27 pm

When I worked at a logistics warehouse and shipped/received shipping trailers from Mexico it was the opposite. It was about 200 crts to about 50 LCD per load coming in. Crts where loaded top to bottom, no pallets or any unused space, and had to be unloaded by hand by a crew. Lcds come in single stacked on pallets, 5 per pallet. So you got more per load with crts but cost more since its billed by weight.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:46 pm

stickem wrote:When I worked at a logistics warehouse and shipped/received shipping trailers from Mexico it was the opposite. It was about 200 crts to about 50 LCD per load coming in. Crts where loaded top to bottom, no pallets or any unused space, and had to be unloaded by hand by a crew. Lcds come in single stacked on pallets, 5 per pallet. So you got more per load with crts but cost more since its billed by weight.

Shouldn't they charge by capacity? 1 truck is moving for Mexico to USA, why does it matter how much it weighs? They are charging for the trip aren't they? If all they can carry in the truck is a huge cardboard box or 200 CRTs, its the same trip.
marurun

by marurun Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:39 pm

Weight affects gas (petrol) usage and wear on the truck.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:00 pm

My Sale Thread - I am selling around three quarters of my video game collection as well as some other odds and ends!
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:35 pm

What the hell, Beverly Cleary is still alive and 104 years old!!! I had no idea.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:10 pm

Looking at Doom, Sonic, and stuff like LaserDiscs, compact discs, and DVDs-which still holds its position today- I think we were much more advanced than we think we were in the 80s,90s, and even 70s. Sure, the CPU speeds were as slow as molasses at 16-33Mhz compared to today's standards and watching movies on VHS sounds primitive, but looking at the software it was pretty advanced. I think we should give more credit to ourselves (society, humanity) than looking back as if we were in the stone age. I am sure if Sonic was to be released today as a new game it will be popular and score 8-9/10, we were that advanced!
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:32 am

As I roam the internets, more and more I notice my forum accounts older than most everyone else. What a sign of times. I think I am one of the oldest 5 active members here, surely I am in top 10.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever