Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

by Ziggy587 Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:11 pm

RCBH928 wrote:VLC works perfect for you, but you a real rare case scenario. Most people out there have abandoned physical media purchase, sales are down and digital is up. Even those with physical media its likely to be on Bluray which VLC can't play and they will watch it on a BD player not on their computer which does not even come with a optical drive. You see where that is going? VLC is going the way of the Roxio Toast, there was a time where it was the greatest tool out there but people moved on and its use case is vanishing.

Well, from what I've read, VLC actually can playback BDs. It's apparently a pain in the ass though.

VLC will probably stick around for a long while even as the mainstream have less and less of a need for a media player. It's just the best package for so many things, even if most of them are niche or becoming niche. You gotta figure, the market share was probably so small anyway since most computers run Windows and most Windows user just use whatever default app it comes with.

My Sale Thread - I am selling around three quarters of my video game collection as well as some other odds and ends!
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:13 pm

Ziggy587 wrote:
RCBH928 wrote:VLC works perfect for you, but you a real rare case scenario. Most people out there have abandoned physical media purchase, sales are down and digital is up. Even those with physical media its likely to be on Bluray which VLC can't play and they will watch it on a BD player not on their computer which does not even come with a optical drive. You see where that is going? VLC is going the way of the Roxio Toast, there was a time where it was the greatest tool out there but people moved on and its use case is vanishing.

Well, from what I've read, VLC actually can playback BDs. It's apparently a pain in the ass though.

VLC will probably stick around for a long while even as the mainstream have less and less of a need for a media player. It's just the best package for so many things, even if most of them are niche or becoming niche. You gotta figure, the market share was probably so small anyway since most computers run Windows and most Windows user just use whatever default app it comes with.

I am hoping so, one area it shines is that it can be your video library on tablets and phones. Not sure if this is a thing with the general public but I got few videos I keep on my phone and watch on VLC there.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:17 pm

So looking at some American tv channels I noticed a lot of the channels play tv series back-to-back all day long. I mean I get if you play a sitcom where someone would tune in to have a laugh, but who would tune-in to watch a series which you have missed its story line? I guess this is why they make each episode like its a mini-movie where all the story line is in that 1 single episode, and next episode is a different story.

Long gone are the days where someone would stay home to catch the new episode of series X, even in the 90s they were taping it. Is this an American culture thing, or is it that no one is really watching these channels? There are so many channels on tv playing re-runs all day long I really doubt any one is watching.
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:40 pm

It's been a while since I've had cable, but when I did it was only the lesser channels that would do this. The big channels that have the big hit shows don't do this. They show new episodes once a week in a standard day and time slot, and might show reruns occasional for different reason (to fill in a time slot, to let people catch up on a plot leading up to a conclusion of said plot, et cetera). They usually have exclusive rights to a show when it is new. After a while, the show will become syndicated and can be shown on other network channels. These "other" (less popular) network channels ride the coat tails of these popular shows. I remember marathons used to be shown only occasionally in the 90s, but somewhere in the mid 00s they started to become more and more popular. Then it got to the point that you could ALWAYS find one of the Law and Order series on some channel at any point in the day.

My Sale Thread - I am selling around three quarters of my video game collection as well as some other odds and ends!
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

by SamuraiMegas Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:26 pm

is there a secret Santa this year?
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
This account isn't used much anymore. You can find me on reddit and steam @ SamuraiMegas as well.
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:29 am

I've been wondering if there's gonna be any type of thing this year. You guys know me, I will try my best to keep any old tradition going if I can. At the same time, I'm concerned that I might be flying solo in my usual charity bash. Too early to make predictions, but whatever happens, I'll be taking part. I've had a lot of time to do some neat mods this coronavacation. I look forward to whatever happens.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

by SamuraiMegas Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:29 am

Anapan wrote:I've been wondering if there's gonna be any type of thing this year. You guys know me, I will try my best to keep any old tradition going if I can. At the same time, I'm concerned that I might be flying solo in my usual charity bash. Too early to make predictions, but whatever happens, I'll be taking part. I've had a lot of time to do some neat mods this coronavacation. I look forward to whatever happens.

I would love to help, let me know if you ever end up needing any.
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
This account isn't used much anymore. You can find me on reddit and steam @ SamuraiMegas as well.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:45 am

Technology Connections must be the fastest channel in YouTube history to grow a following. I think it was recommended to me by YouTube and he had like 20K subscribers, next time I noticed the channel it was like 377K subscribers. It didn't help that his studio was basically a room at home and his character didn't have the usual charisma of tech YouTubers. Even the content itself does not cater to the general public, its all about old and niche tech. I have nothing against the guy, I like his content, just saying the general public seem to go for charismatic people more than content.
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:43 am

He does have some video that are more niche and about antiquated tech, but he also has a lot of videos that do cater to the general public. If you look at his video by most views, half of his top videos are about general use tech. Portable ACs, electric space heaters, LED traffic lights, North America's turning signals, why the high setting is first (next to off) on fans, and other stuff like. I mean, who hasn't wondered by the high setting is always first on a fan?

Return to Off-Topic / Whatever