Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
User avatar
RCBH928
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 4643
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:40 am

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

by RCBH928 Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:24 am

I don't know who these nice people are, but on the internet, there are a lot of free services that people worked hard to provide for free.
Want free video Player? VLC
Want free cd burner? ImgBurn
Want free temporary email? 10minutemail.com
Want free videogames encylopedia? mobygames.com
it never ends.

I just want to say big thank you to them.
Last edited by RCBH928 on Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 10085
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:26 pm
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

by prfsnl_gmr Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:21 am

RCBH928 wrote:I don't know who these nice people are, but on the internet, there are a lot of free services that people worked hard to provide for free.
Want free video Player? VLC
Want free cd burner? ImgUr
Want free temporary email? 10minutemail.com
Want free videogames encylopedia? mobygames.com
it never ends.

I just want to say big thank you to them.


+1

Want a free translation patch for an obscure JRPG? ROMhacking

Want a free place to talk to great people about vintage video games? Racketboy

That is a great sentiment, RCBH. There are people working anonymously to bring us great resources, and I take too many of them for granted. Thank you!
User avatar
Ziggy587
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 12082
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:12 pm
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

by Ziggy587 Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:20 pm

One good way to thank these free services is to donate to them. Even a small amount helps.
Image
User avatar
RCBH928
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 4643
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:40 am

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

by RCBH928 Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:40 am

Ziggy587 wrote:One good way to thank these free services is to donate to them. Even a small amount helps.


Want to hear a funny story? I tried to do that with uBlockOrigin and they said we don't accept donations :lol: :lol:

But I really do believe that power is in numbers, if you only donate $1 which is a measly donation that amounts to $300M in Wikipedia's case. You can see how this applies else where.
User avatar
Ziggy587
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 12082
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:12 pm
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

by Ziggy587 Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:55 am

Wow, that's kinda awesome actually.

I like when Wikipedia has their annual fundraising announcement. "If everyone reading this donates just $3 the fundraiser would be over in an hour!"
Image
User avatar
RCBH928
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 4643
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:40 am

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

by RCBH928 Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:10 am

Ziggy587 wrote:Wow, that's kinda awesome actually.

I like when Wikipedia has their annual fundraising announcement. "If everyone reading this donates just $3 the fundraiser would be over in an hour!"


I am not sure if people are just stingy or its because of the difficulty of paying online. I really think people are more willing to pay(for anything) by pulling their wallets out or or swiping a card more than having to input numbers and passwords online.

Also people has developed the mentality of "if its online I don't have to pay for it" just like they developed the mentality of justifying a $5 cup of coffee. I find it funny that they are willing to pay $5 for a cup of coffee daily but not $10 a year for a service/software they rely and depend on.
User avatar
RCBH928
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 4643
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:40 am

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

by RCBH928 Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:43 am

I completed watching the 3rd episode of Firefly and still don't see why it got such high reviews. It feels very average. It has 9/10 rating based on 220K reviews on IMDB.
Either it still didn't pickup or its one of those things that was great for its time...
User avatar
Ziggy587
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 12082
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:12 pm
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

by Ziggy587 Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:51 am

RCBH928 wrote:I completed watching the 3rd episode of Firefly and still don't see why it got such high reviews. It feels very average. It has 9/10 rating based on 220K reviews on IMDB.
Either it still didn't pickup or its one of those things that was great for its time...


It got a cult following after it's cancellation.
Image
User avatar
marurun
Moderator
 
Posts: 9282
Joined: Sat May 06, 2006 8:51 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

by marurun Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:35 am

Ziggy587 wrote:
RCBH928 wrote:I completed watching the 3rd episode of Firefly and still don't see why it got such high reviews. It feels very average. It has 9/10 rating based on 220K reviews on IMDB.
Either it still didn't pickup or its one of those things that was great for its time...


It got a cult following after it's cancellation.


And then Serenity happened, and we were all reminded that lots of Joss Whedon projects crater if given adequate space. Firefly is so good precisely because it didn't have any time to shoot itself in the foot.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
User avatar
Nemoide
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1917
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:37 pm
Location: Monster Island

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

by Nemoide Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:05 am

I couldn't get through Firefly. I also never made it past the first season of Buffy. Joss Whedon really doesn't do it for me and I can't help but think he's overrated. Thankfully it feels like his grip on nerd culture is a lot looser than it was a decade ago.

I'll give him Cabin in the Woods though, I remember really liking that movie.
Image
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest