Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

by RCBH928 Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:39 pm

Why are websites on mobile are completely retarded?
marurun

by marurun Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:14 pm

Are you just complaining out-loud, or do you really want me to write you a multi-page essay on exactly why mobile websites often suffer serious issues?
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:22 pm

marurun wrote:Are you just complaining out-loud, or do you really want me to write you a multi-page essay on exactly why mobile websites often suffer serious issues?

how about a few bullet points. I hear Apple talking about PostPC era and how you don't need a laptop if you have an iPad. But in all honestly, browsing the internet completely sucks on mobile, its ok for quick access but not actual browsing. Worst is that layout somehow keep re-loading, moving around, stuff pops up...really bad exprience.
marurun

by marurun Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:28 pm

RCBH928 wrote:
marurun wrote:Are you just complaining out-loud, or do you really want me to write you a multi-page essay on exactly why mobile websites often suffer serious issues?

how about a few bullet points. I hear Apple talking about PostPC era and how you don't need a laptop if you have an iPad. But in all honestly, browsing the internet completely sucks on mobile, its ok for quick access but not actual browsing. Worst is that layout somehow keep re-loading, moving around, stuff pops up...really bad exprience.

Sites that are designed to be properly responsive are actually just fine. I have no problems using sites like that. And a lot of mainstream sites are using proper responsive design principles. But the short version is that if you want your web content to be available on mobile AND on a traditional PC, you have to start compromising functions, presentation, and access. And some content simply scales better than others. Major US news sites have transitioned to mobile quite well, as well as major content providers. It is the smaller content providers, like Wikia and whatnot that really suffer because they have been unable to find a good enough compromise design.

But my experience has been, for the most part, that the more media-savvy outlets have actually weathered this change rather well.
Segata
Next-Gen

by Segata Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:19 pm

I was unaware of some real-world drama regarding some members on the site. Wonder who it was? That's kinda scary.
Dreamcast is love,Dreamcast is life!
Twitter Segata
CFFJR
Next-Gen

by CFFJR Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:50 pm

I expect most folks were unaware. I certainly didn't know it wasn't even the first time this has happened.

Presumably that person has been banned, but I hope some sort of action has been taken in the real world too.

Having said that, the fact that the topic on the subject was immediately locked suggests that it is probably not meant for discussion.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

by Erik_Twice Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:19 am

I didn't know, much less that it had happened before.

I just hope it's not someone I have on Steam or the like :/

I do understand moderators not wanting to have a discussion on it, I can't see it providing anything truly positive beyond the initial shock.
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Cosmic Encounter: Philanthropist, or the gamebreaking power of giving
http://eriktwice.com/
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

by casterofdreams Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:38 pm

Anyone know of any retro conventions coming up this year that has a decent turnout?

I'm trying to set up some vacation for work and I'd like to do the whole road trip to a place and stay at a hotel thing. I figured why it a convention about retro games? Maybe Anime Cons too. I'm looking for ideas.

Thanks in advance.

Oops I for got to add that I live in New York but distance to travel I'm leaving open.
My BTS List: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=37219
My 8 Gen portables: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=41354
My First Guide: Re-Released games w/DLC (this guide needs work. *UPDATED*): viewtopic.php?f=52&t=44588&p=821770#p821770
marurun

by marurun Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:27 am

The reason that thread is locked is because, while it is important for the Racketboy community to know that one of their own was harmed by another member stepping over a line in pursuit of a personal grudge, it is also important to respect the anonymity of the victim. That it happened is bad enough. Further, no amount of discussion will change the fact that this behavior was unacceptable. Vengeful, intolerant asshats are not welcome in our community, period. This isn't to say that the topic is verboten in other relevant threads, but the statement from the mod team should stand on its own.
stickem
Next-Gen

by stickem Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:54 am

What about calling out the identity of the asshat? If nothing else, I won't wonder "whatever happen to that kember".
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever