Random Thoughts Thread

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
isiolia
Next-Gen

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

Post by isiolia »

RCBH928 wrote:Are pre-built PC towers still a thing?
Most people opt for the laptops and many people find themselves adequate with the modern smartphone. Those who are looking for serious computing build their own since they can pick each component to their liking and choose the prices. I understand its even cheaper this way.

There was a time when owning a computer meant you owned a PC tower (or horizontal!)

Prebuilt desktop machines are still a thing, even if they're not as large a market segment as before. Keep in mind that businesses still buy quite a lot of desktops, and there are still plenty of places on earth where not many people have a computer at all that could potentially get into the market for one.

Along with the shift to mobile OSes, something to consider is that most basic computing tasks haven't really demanded new hardware. Folks that are just using a PC for the internet and the like have tended to find that their hardware has remained good enough for a while now. Doubly so if they upgraded to an SSD and maybe a little more RAM. Laptops have evolved a fair bit, and have become a larger market segment, but the upgrade cycle is still slower. If those users do upgrade, the appeal of dedicating a corner of a room, if not a whole room, to having a desktop PC setup is probably unappealing as well.

For home use, desktops are moving towards being an enthusiast purchase more than the standard thing. As overall PC sales have gone down, gaming-oriented hardware sales have increased.

While building a PC isn't exactly difficult, cost savings are not a given. Typically, you aren't saving money if building on the low end, unless you're recycling parts and using a free or pirated OS. Those are low-margin systems that Dell (or whomever) can offer at low prices due to economics of scale. Higher end systems do tend to have fatter margins, and in turn a lot more room to save money by building it yourself. However, the more typical reason to do so is to choose components or build strategies (plus it can just be more fun). There are plenty of places online that'll let you customize just about every part and only charge a modest fee to put it all together too.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

I'm not sure how it is now, but about a month ago it was still cheaper for me to buy a prebuilt, moderately powerful PC than to build it myself, due to the price increase on graphics cards and RAM. I parted out the machine I bought for around $1300, and to build it would have cost about $500 more.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Still the same. The spike in GPU and RAM prices makes this an exceptionally poor time to put a gaming rig together yourself. Prebuilt options are much more cost effective if you want/need something in the near future.
marurun

Post by marurun »

The bad thing about this, however, is that the prebuilt systems haven't gone down in price. It's that individual components have gotten more expensive for people who build their own, so effectively a gaming PC is more expensive now than it was 3 years ago, before the coin mining spike. Thanks to coin mining, now is not a super affordable time to get into PC gaming.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

What's up, y'all? Been a while. Place is looking sharp these days though.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Whooooo! Welcome back, TSTR!
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Interesting to see, things are back where they were in the 90s, pre-built machines are cheaper than custom built :lol:
I really thought towers are dead.. its been a real long time since I heard someone bought a pre-built one because they "needed a computer". Everyone just opts for the laptops, even Pro users in some industries like accounting and programming probably don't need a full desktop machine. (Unless compilers need as much hp as rendering 3D graphics)

TSTR wrote:What's up, y'all? Been a while. Place is looking sharp these days though.

WHOOOOOOOO!!
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

TSTR wrote:What's up, y'all? Been a while. Place is looking sharp these days though.

My man sup
Bikeage
128-bit

Post by Bikeage »

Did that one guy who wanted to be a filmmaker ever move to NYC?
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Bae!