Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

by CRTGAMER Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:28 am

RCBH928 wrote:Anyone thinks 4K is really worth it? I mean is 1080p really that upsetting that makes you feel you need to upgrade your TV?

Personally I have seen stuff VHS quality and it doesn't bother me too much specially older stuff, and a lot of is on YouTube but people are just don't notice it. The U/HD stuff only shines with special effects movies which is the newer stuff.

My advice may not have much fire as one that prefers a 4:3 HD CRT 1080i set to 480p to maintain the 4:3 full screen. :lol:

Buy the TV as you would normally view distance
The 4k makes a difference for really large screens. 1080p should be fine for screens under 40", unless one views from a few inches away. This the sales pitch in the store, customers tend to stand right at a wall of display sets and get hooked to 4k.

Has anyone compared a same sized 1080p vs 4k for a composite signal? What about DVDs 480p or Blurays 1080p; upscale issue on 4k? I imagine the 4k even though newer upscaler built in will be worse then the older HD LED 1080p for retro consoles.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:50 pm

At this point, the purpose for going with 4k is also likely to be HDR color, not just further reducing the chance you'll see the pixels. Also, hard to avoid if you're shopping for a relatively large display.

Ones I've seen do a nice job scaling 1080p content, though I can't say I've plugged in composite stuff.
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

by casterofdreams Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:46 am

What's everyone's philosophy on purchasing things to be used at your job?

Things like buying and using your own keyboard, monitors, things of that sort.

I work for a regional bank where they wouldn't order things like widescreen displays or fancy keyboards. Coworkers accept this and stick to stuff that's already here: old keyboards and 4:3 17" monitors and be done with it. Extremely rare to see a dual screen setup.

I went the opposite where I purchased my own keyboard and mouse (combo set - MS Sculpt set) and two 24" widescreen displays (not a stock guy, I just do a lot of multitasking, also love the screen real estate). People here think I'm nuts!
My BTS List: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=37219
My 8 Gen portables: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=41354
My First Guide: Re-Released games w/DLC (this guide needs work. *UPDATED*): viewtopic.php?f=52&t=44588&p=821770#p821770
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:02 am

I'm typically fine with buying oddball things like cleaning supplies or pens out of my own pocket so I can get what I want without worrying about tax-free purchases (state job) or whatever.

Since I work in IT, upgrading/replacing computer peripherals is more in the scope of what I buy with my departmental credit card anyway.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:50 am

In the past I've typically brought my own mouse, because the mouse a company provides is usually crap.

These days I'm friends with the IT Admin at my present employer, so I just tell him what I want and he buys it for me. He doesn't give me a hard time about buying quality hardware, but I don't ask for new stuff very often either.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:16 pm

Pretty standard setup at my work, I kind of like feeling detached from it so I don't have any of my own items I've brought in. They are willing to change out your mouse, keyboard, and maybe monitor if you request it though. They've been testing out desks that can move up and down too, personally I prefer to just sit at work and I'll do my exercise at home. Most of us have different setups. Some people like those weird curvy divided up keyboards but the one I use is just a really basic straight Lenova one or something. I do wish I had dual monitors though, some of the higher level techs do. I actually think the monitor is better and bigger than the one I have at home, haha.
HLTB | RFG (WIP)
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

by casterofdreams Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:12 pm

I wish I had an in with the IT department.

I originally asked this here to get a bit of an idea what the community thought of this concept. I want to assume we are bit more intune with technology than say a typical office at a bank (I could be wrong of course).

In all honesty, considering I'm at my job for most of my waking hours, I don't mind spending a little money to make it a more enjoyable experience. Not spending crazy cash here. Spending money on a widescreen monitor (< $100), a mouse and keyboard you feel comfortable with ($70), little things here and there (gaming statuettes and other like items). A bit of comfort goes a long way.

This is what I mention to my coworkers who look at me all weird and stuff. Some get it. Some scoff at it.
My BTS List: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=37219
My 8 Gen portables: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=41354
My First Guide: Re-Released games w/DLC (this guide needs work. *UPDATED*): viewtopic.php?f=52&t=44588&p=821770#p821770
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:19 pm

Today I learned some Amazon carriers travel through space-time vortexes:

Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

by Erik_Twice Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:35 am

At this point, I think it would be easier for me to make money out of my games writing than finding a job. Not even kidding, things are so bad that I see more of a future in being a glorified Youtuber than on my field.

I've been unemployed for 8 months already. I send around 30 CVs a day, everyday and never hear back. I'm an International Commerce technician, I speak two languages perfectly and understand a bit of another two. I can't do more, if that's not enough, what can I do? I can't get experience if nobody hires me.
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Final Fight ★★★
http://eriktwice.com/
Ack

by Ack Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:41 am

Well, have you considered leaving Spain?
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever