Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
marurun

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

by marurun Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:19 pm

Depends on the storage facility, really.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:29 pm

casterofdreams wrote:is it ever a good idea to store games in a ziploc bag even with silica packets? I'm hearing things from different sides. One group says it's fine and the other says mold and mildew can build up.

I have stored games and electronics in zip lock bags, and seal tight containers, for years at a time. Never seen mold. But that was always in a climate controlled environment.

To store the tower cheaply: I would wrap that whole tower up air tight with Glad ClingWrap, with some silica packets wrapped inside too. Then put that in a garbage bag and tie it closed. I'd then put that whole package in a large cardboard box filled with crushed newspaper. Nestling the tower in large quantities of the newspaper. Close it all up inside the box, and seal all the seams/edges of the box with duct tape.

To store the tower better but more expensively: I would half fill a large lidded plastic container with foam peanuts. I'd put the tower on its side on the foam peanuts. I'd put silica packets around the tower. I'd fill the rest of the container up with foam peanuts, encasing the tower within. Then I'd close the lid of the plastic container, and use duct tape to seal all its seams.
nullPointer
64-bit

by nullPointer Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:34 pm

Just a quick thought on those packing peanuts. Those things can generate quite a bit of static electricity, and electrostatic discharge can be super detrimental to sensitive electronic equipment. That's (ideally) why you wear an anti-static wrist band when you're working with components inside your case. I would definitely advise against putting packing peanuts inside your case, and personally I'd be a bit leary about using them for packing material around the outside the case as well (which is probably being overcautious, but who knows). I think I'd go with bubble wrap or those bubble mailer inserts of the type that Amazon always uses.
Segata
Next-Gen

by Segata Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:35 pm

And just like that Giant Bomb works again on everything without doing anything lol. Happy it's back.
Dreamcast is love,Dreamcast is life!
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:42 pm

nullPointer wrote:Just a quick thought on those packing peanuts. Those things can generate quite a bit of static electricity

It depends on the brand, I use these:

https://www.amazon.com/Bubblefast-3-1-S ... B000SL2ELE

And I did not say to put packing peanuts inside the PC case. To be clear.
nullPointer
64-bit

by nullPointer Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:50 pm

Exhuminator wrote:
nullPointer wrote:Just a quick thought on those packing peanuts. Those things can generate quite a bit of static electricity

Good call on 'picking the right peanuts' as it were. :)
To clarify, the rest of that advice was in response to this:
casterofdreams wrote:I didn't think about putting anything inside of the case. Could I use something like packing peanuts instead of crumpled newspaper?
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

by casterofdreams Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:25 pm

Exhuminator wrote:

Ah I misunderstood. Thanks for the clarification.

Thank you all for the help. Based on the information I picked up here I have a bit of an idea on how to go about this.
My BTS List: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=37219
My 8 Gen portables: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=41354
My First Guide: Re-Released games w/DLC (this guide needs work. *UPDATED*): viewtopic.php?f=52&t=44588&p=821770#p821770
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:34 am

Anyone thinks 4K is really worth it? I mean is 1080p really that upsetting that makes you feel you need to upgrade your TV?

Personally I have seen stuff VHS quality and it doesn't bother me too much specially older stuff, and a lot of is on YouTube but people are just don't notice it. The U/HD stuff only shines with special effects movies which is the newer stuff.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

by Gunstar Green Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:51 am

So this is odd... I got an email from Amazon saying that I left a review on some screen protectors. Only I never bought them or left a review. I quickly went into my account, deleted the review, and changed all of my passwords after running some virus checks that came up empty and enabled two-step verification.

Seems a little odd that someone would hack my Amazon account just to leave a positive review on a screen protector of all things. I'm really weirded out right now.
Michi
Next-Gen

by Michi Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:03 am

I don't suppose there's the possibility that you did it on some wild, post-Thanksgiving zone-out, thanks to getting high on all that sweet, savory tryptophan?
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever