Random Thoughts Thread

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

Post by RCBH928 »

i am extremely annoyed by app updates that all they do is "bug fixes and general improvements", I never did any of these updates and found my apps work any better or differently. Outlook on iOS seems to be releasing one every other day.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

RCBH928 wrote:i am extremely annoyed by app updates that all they do is "bug fixes and general improvements", I never did any of these updates and found my apps work any better or differently. Outlook on iOS seems to be releasing one every other day.

Working in IT... quite often, these are the better updates. There are always bugs, and chances are they're addressing things that someone, somewhere, had problems with. Better to focus on making what's already there work than changing up the UI or adding features for the sake of it.

That said, the mobile Outlook client could stand to have some features added.
marurun

Post by marurun »

RCBH928 wrote:i am extremely annoyed by app updates that all they do is "bug fixes and general improvements", I never did any of these updates and found my apps work any better or differently. Outlook on iOS seems to be releasing one every other day.

This is usually the result of large companies like MS and Google beginning to lay down the infrastructure for down-the-road feature updates or changes in regular releases. There often isn't really a particular feature or bug of interest to users being addressed so much as slowly moving the codebase toward a new state. I do find it frustrating, even as I understand what they are doing and why they are doing it. Also, the whole issuing updates every 2-4 weeks on schedule thing guarantees that people get prompted again to leave positive reviews.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

isiolia wrote:Working in IT... quite often, these are the better updates. There are always bugs, and chances are they're addressing things that someone, somewhere, had problems with. Better to focus on making what's already there work than changing up the UI or adding features for the sake of it.

That said, the mobile Outlook client could stand to have some features added.

Not sure how it works in IT, but when I see stuff like "Fixed a bug where the app will freeze for 2 seconds when opening .wmv file" it gets on my nerves. Its ok to fix the bugs but do it on a longer release schedule, I believe this even bothers companies like Apple that have to review each update. I also believe it stresses the developer to keep working everyday hunting and fixing bugs forever.

My other problem is bugs are never ending, whenever they fix a bug there is another one created. So you might as well just stick to longer schedule releases like once every 3 months, unless there is a critical security update.

The guy behind imgburn last update was 16 June 2013
he has the mentality of, if its working don't fix it :lol: :lol: At this point I am not sure if it reached abandonware status

marurun wrote:Also, the whole issuing updates every 2-4 weeks on schedule thing guarantees that people get prompted again to leave positive reviews.

This is also another thing, they keep updating and they keep sending review requests. Its been the same app for few years now... there is nothing more I can add to my review. I would like to give some apps a good review, but am not going to do it on a weekly basis for 10-20 apps.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

So when flat TVs came out and they were 16:9 it bothered me because I was so used to the idea that TVs should be square and all tv shows are squared. I was told that this is better because 16:9 is how movies are shot and something about the human eyes see in "width". Now I hear 3:2 is the new cool thing, what did I miss? at least for computer screens
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

16:9 on a 4:3 TV use to bother me, but 4:3 on a 16:9 never did.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

4:3 isn't square, to begin with. I was never bothered with black bars in either configuration.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

The common complaint with widescreen or letter box on a 4:3 TV was that the image became too small. I know that some people are actually bothered by the black bars. That part didn't bother me, it was just the reduced image size that was annoying. 4:3 on a 16:9 screen didn't have the same effect, which is why it never bothered me.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

But my biggest concern is seeing my media in the originally-intended aspect ratio.

My HD CRT is 4:3 and that's my main TV.
There is ONE SITUATION in which I hate black bars on the side of my video: when standard-definition 4:3 content is mastered as a 16:9 DVD with bars on the sides, because then I get black bars on the sides AND the top/bottom! THE WORST OF BOTH WORLDS! T__T
It happens with blu-rays too, but that at least makes sense because blu-ray is widescreen-only. DVDs shouldn't be!
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Equally annoying are letterbox DVDs, which are widescreen mastered in 4:3 with black bars on the top and bottom of the image. This will also give you play bars all the way around the image if viewed on a 16:9 display.