Random Thoughts Thread

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

Post by RCBH928 »

marurun wrote:Grab an Orbi router and satellite. I'm finding it is fantastic. It does cost a little bit, but it's damn effective.

Ironically my repeater is Netgear. I had a very pleasant Nighthawk experience so I thought I should trust the brand. I was afraid to implement a Mesh network because I thought the technology is new and maybe the quirks have not been ironed out yet.

bmoc wrote:
RCBH928 wrote:You know the old saying? "Fast, inexpensive, and reliable: pick 2." Most of the time, I'd say it is pretty accurate. However, I have been very impressed with Ubiquiti network gear as of late. It seems to be all three with a little tweaking.

Something not everyone knows about their Unifi line of products is that they can all be mesh access points (not just the ones advertised as mesh). Mesh doesn't suffer the same performance hit that extenders do. I'd give them a look. https://www.ui.com/products/#unifi

Well I picked reliable and fast, the repeater was for $200+ . I hear my people are happy with Ubiquiti, they are branded as the higher quality more expensive network routers. I guess I might jump ship from Netgear in the future once Wifi6 is perfected or whatever new technology that is. The thing is that I never heard about Ubiquiti until recently, the famous brands for home routers AFAIK are Netgear, Linksys, D-Link, Tp-Link and Asus. I might be outdated...
marurun

Post by marurun »

Netgear is a good brand, but they make a wide variety of products. The reason their Orbi mesh product typically rates well is that it uses a dedicated back channel to communicate between the base and satellites. That means the actual data traffic is not competing with satellite communication and routing for bandwidth. Other mesh systems use the same spectrum for regular traffic and mesh routing, which can hurt throughput and latency.

I tried using a regular wireless router that reviewed well at the time (TP Link Archer C7 rev 2) and an extender and it was total crap. When I switched to Orbi (1 base and 1 satellite, and not even the highest-end model) suddenly everything worked and was reliable. It was like somebody waved a magic wifi wand over my house and said, "Heal thyself."

Not saying that it is guaranteed to work for you, but Netgear's Orbi is regularly at the top or near the top of mesh wifi comparison reviews. Here's the one I based my purchase off of:

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-wi-fi-mesh-networking-kits/
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

Post by SamuraiMegas »

We should do a racketboy smash ultimate tournament.
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

marurun wrote:Netgear is a good brand, but they make a wide variety of products. The reason their Orbi mesh product typically rates well is that it uses a dedicated back channel to communicate between the base and satellites. That means the actual data traffic is not competing with satellite communication and routing for bandwidth. Other mesh systems use the same spectrum for regular traffic and mesh routing, which can hurt throughput and latency.

I tried using a regular wireless router that reviewed well at the time (TP Link Archer C7 rev 2) and an extender and it was total crap. When I switched to Orbi (1 base and 1 satellite, and not even the highest-end model) suddenly everything worked and was reliable. It was like somebody waved a magic wifi wand over my house and said, "Heal thyself."

Not saying that it is guaranteed to work for you, but Netgear's Orbi is regularly at the top or near the top of mesh wifi comparison reviews. Here's the one I based my purchase off of:

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-wi-fi-mesh-networking-kits/

I used to love the wirecutter, they were very honest about everything, but since the new york times bought them I have been skeptical.

I should have considered going all the way for a mesh setup instead of this repeater, but you live and learn. The Orbi looks ugly and huge in comparison with others, I hope future versions are more compact and stylish..
marurun

Post by marurun »

RCBH928 wrote:I used to love the wirecutter, they were very honest about everything, but since the new york times bought them I have been skeptical.

I should have considered going all the way for a mesh setup instead of this repeater, but you live and learn. The Orbi looks ugly and huge in comparison with others, I hope future versions are more compact and stylish..

I don't like how they have really opened up and are reviewing EVERYTHING (except half the things I'm interested in, of course), but the comparisons I was following from before the switch have all remained pretty consistent. Like the mesh wifi one. Orbi has been at the top since pre-NYT.

Orbi's a little big, but it's not too bad, really. Just put it somewhere behind something. The design aesthetic is like Apple slumming it.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

I believe in donating to the free and opensource communities, but unfortunately not many do... more people should learn to donate a little for us to continue to have great free software and service.
Last edited by RCBH928 on Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

Post by Forlorn Drifter »

I think I'm going to have to get a job coach. I just can't seem to find anything in my field, and everything else I find is warehouse work. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but family stuff means I need regular, consistent hours, which warehouse jobs don't really do (at least the ones I've seen).
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

Post by SamuraiMegas »

I've talked about this before but I was considering making a thread where established users give each consoles/parts/cheaper stuff so that everyone can work together to build each other's collections.

Have an extra controller you never need and see someone saying they need it? Send it over for the shipping price and (maybe) trade for bigger items. The idea would be that people can consolidate their collections while helping other users by giving away cheap items that aren't wanted anymore. Everyone posts a wishlist, people give what they can and only can participate if they are willing (and actually do ) give items to other users. Kinda a community "I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine" type of thing.

This is a tight knit community and I think we could save everyone some money this way.

Take noise's last post for example- he has (or can get, I guess I should say) a Virtual Boy that needs parts. I'm sure there's more than one person here with a broken Virtual Boy sitting in a box collecting dust for five years because "you're definitely going to fix it soon". Just help a fellow member out and I'm sure someone will return the favor.

Is there any actual community interest in something like this?
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
marurun

Post by marurun »

I think that's a great idea. I mean, we SORT of do a little of that in BST in that we're dealing largely with known members, but what you're proposing could be much more helpful. We'd all be a spare parts pool for each other, in a sense.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Its sad to me to see 10Mbps internet speed considered slow. I remember upgrading to 1mbps from my ISP in 2006 and thinking "Now we really can compete on Xbox Live! without lag!" .

TBH, I thought it was MegaBYTES not Bits. I didn't understand the difference then...