Random Thoughts Thread

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

Post by RCBH928 »

I don't know who these nice people are, but on the internet, there are a lot of free services that people worked hard to provide for free.
Want free video Player? VLC
Want free cd burner? ImgBurn
Want free temporary email? 10minutemail.com
Want free videogames encylopedia? mobygames.com
it never ends.

I just want to say big thank you to them.
Last edited by RCBH928 on Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

RCBH928 wrote:I don't know who these nice people are, but on the internet, there are a lot of free services that people worked hard to provide for free.
Want free video Player? VLC
Want free cd burner? ImgUr
Want free temporary email? 10minutemail.com
Want free videogames encylopedia? mobygames.com
it never ends.

I just want to say big thank you to them.

+1

Want a free translation patch for an obscure JRPG? ROMhacking

Want a free place to talk to great people about vintage video games? Racketboy

That is a great sentiment, RCBH. There are people working anonymously to bring us great resources, and I take too many of them for granted. Thank you!
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

One good way to thank these free services is to donate to them. Even a small amount helps.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Ziggy587 wrote:One good way to thank these free services is to donate to them. Even a small amount helps.

Want to hear a funny story? I tried to do that with uBlockOrigin and they said we don't accept donations :lol: :lol:

But I really do believe that power is in numbers, if you only donate $1 which is a measly donation that amounts to $300M in Wikipedia's case. You can see how this applies else where.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Wow, that's kinda awesome actually.

I like when Wikipedia has their annual fundraising announcement. "If everyone reading this donates just $3 the fundraiser would be over in an hour!"
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Ziggy587 wrote:Wow, that's kinda awesome actually.

I like when Wikipedia has their annual fundraising announcement. "If everyone reading this donates just $3 the fundraiser would be over in an hour!"

I am not sure if people are just stingy or its because of the difficulty of paying online. I really think people are more willing to pay(for anything) by pulling their wallets out or or swiping a card more than having to input numbers and passwords online.

Also people has developed the mentality of "if its online I don't have to pay for it" just like they developed the mentality of justifying a $5 cup of coffee. I find it funny that they are willing to pay $5 for a cup of coffee daily but not $10 a year for a service/software they rely and depend on.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

I completed watching the 3rd episode of Firefly and still don't see why it got such high reviews. It feels very average. It has 9/10 rating based on 220K reviews on IMDB.
Either it still didn't pickup or its one of those things that was great for its time...
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

RCBH928 wrote:I completed watching the 3rd episode of Firefly and still don't see why it got such high reviews. It feels very average. It has 9/10 rating based on 220K reviews on IMDB.
Either it still didn't pickup or its one of those things that was great for its time...

It got a cult following after it's cancellation.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Ziggy587 wrote:
RCBH928 wrote:I completed watching the 3rd episode of Firefly and still don't see why it got such high reviews. It feels very average. It has 9/10 rating based on 220K reviews on IMDB.

It got a cult following after it's cancellation.

And then Serenity happened, and we were all reminded that lots of Joss Whedon projects crater if given adequate space. Firefly is so good precisely because it didn't have any time to shoot itself in the foot.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

I couldn't get through Firefly. I also never made it past the first season of Buffy. Joss Whedon really doesn't do it for me and I can't help but think he's overrated. Thankfully it feels like his grip on nerd culture is a lot looser than it was a decade ago.

I'll give him Cabin in the Woods though, I remember really liking that movie.