Random Thoughts Thread

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

Post by RCBH928 »

High speed internet+youtube is an amazing thing. You scrub forward on the timeline, you scrub backward, it instantly plays. I remember the days where you had to wait 40min to download an mp3 song. We do not appreciate a lot of the modern technology, lets not forget VHS where you had to wait a few minutes forwarding and backwarding the tape.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Why do so many people refer to a tower or desktop as a "CPU" ? Like, there's a CPU inside. But that thing you're pointing to has many components inside of it.
marurun

Post by marurun »

There was a time when almost everything except RAM and system bus and CPU was external, so in a rough sense, the computer housing was the CPU. Because that was mostly what was in it.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

marurun wrote:There was a time when almost everything except RAM and system bus and CPU was external, so in a rough sense, the computer housing was the CPU. Because that was mostly what was in it.

You're not wrong, but that's not why. It's because people kept pointing at their monitors and calling it their computer, and people who knew better kept facepalming and eventually got it through people's heads that the box has the CPU in it, while the monitor is the display, and people then went CPU.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
marurun

Post by marurun »

You mean you’re not a fan of post hoc rationalization?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I'm not a fan of giving people more credit than they are due.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

I think I found my doppleganger and I am freaking out. Different hair but he has the hair I decided on getting before I found out about him.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I bought a new guitar a couple of weeks ago and it gave me new ambition to play and write. Then I pinched my finger really bad and got the biggest blood blister I've ever had. It's going to take a while to heal, and I can't really play guitar until it does. Maybe that's the music gods telling me to practice another instrument. But, dammit, I just got a new guitar!
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Solution is to play with your teeth.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

MrPopo wrote:Solution is to play with your teeth.

You have to be a rock icon to get away with that sort of thing.

But actually, when guitarists "play with their teeth" they are using their teeth or tongue to pluck the strings. My blood blister is on my left hand, which I need to fret the strings. So substituting with my teeth wont help.