Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

by SamuraiMegas Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:14 pm

I've noticed now that I'm working and have (partially) moved out, I've been feeling noticeably happy for the first time in years. I get a big ole smile on my face randomly regularly now, and it's just a nice feeling.
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:18 am

This subscription and Patreon thing is not working. I would like to help free services/apps and buy subscriptions legally from the likes of Netflix, but soon it all adds up. This will only draw people away from paying in the first place.

Since services and apps are a "build once-sell many times" kind of business, I feel like the only solution to this is to reduce the contribution payment to an absolutely minimum but everyone has to join up and pay. If we assume that Wikipedia has 100 million users a month, if only 50% pay a $1 donation that would pile up to be about half a billion by the end of the year. Hopefully enough to cover their costs.

We can not have nice things for "free". $30-50 monthly to cover all the projects and services you need/want is reasonable. People should break the mindset that "if its on a computer then I am a fool for paying for it".
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

by Forlorn Drifter Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:07 pm

I've been wanting to get Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, but it looks like the blue rays suck. I guess I'll have to track down the DVDs, which will be rough considering every time I buy DVDs online they seem to be for the wrong region.

I'm also frustrated there is no legal way to get any Netflix or Amazon Prime stuff. I want Kakegurui and Dororo, and probably Vinland Saga, but apparently that's not an option.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
marurun

by marurun Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:24 pm

What have you heard about the BluRays that makes you nervous?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

by Forlorn Drifter Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:33 pm

Supposedly when watching the English dub the original Japanese track can be heard. It's mostly small and easy to miss, but there's apparently at least a few cases where it is loud and obvious.

At least that is what the reviews say.

Michi
Next-Gen

by Michi Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:03 pm

Forlorn Drifter wrote:I've been wanting to get Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, but it looks like the blue rays suck. I guess I'll have to track down the DVDs, which will be rough considering every time I buy DVDs online they seem to be for the wrong region.

I'm also frustrated there is no legal way to get any Netflix or Amazon Prime stuff. I want Kakegurui and Dororo, and probably Vinland Saga, but apparently that's not an option.

The lack of Kakegurui is a shame, but it may show up somewhere other than Japanese Blurays eventually.

As for Dororo and Vinland Saga, those just may be too new. The original Dororo is available at RightStuf right now. But the new adaptation just came out this year, so it just may not be available yet. Same goes for Vinland.

And if you're looking for the first season of Stand Alone Complex, check Walmart. Not only have they had a copy of the DVD release in stores, but they've also got it listed online. If you're looking for 2nd Gig....That one will likely be much harder to come by.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:41 am

Lately I have been watching movies from the mid to late 90s... things have not changed too much. Many of the movies can be released today and no one would notice they are from a different era.
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

by Forlorn Drifter Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:55 pm

Michi wrote:
Forlorn Drifter wrote:I've been wanting to get Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, but it looks like the blue rays suck. I guess I'll have to track down the DVDs, which will be rough considering every time I buy DVDs online they seem to be for the wrong region.

The lack of Kakegurui is a shame, but it may show up somewhere other than Japanese Blurays eventually.

As for Dororo and Vinland Saga, those just may be too new. The original Dororo is available at RightStuf right now. But the new adaptation just came out this year, so it just may not be available yet. Same goes for Vinland.

And if you're looking for the first season of Stand Alone Complex, check Walmart. Not only have they had a copy of the DVD release in stores, but they've also got it listed online. If you're looking for 2nd Gig....That one will likely be much harder to come by.

Well, Dororo and Vinland Saga are both Amazon Prime shows, and I don't think any of the anime they've had has gotten released on home media.

Michi
Next-Gen

by Michi Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:00 pm

Forlorn Drifter wrote:
Michi wrote:

Well, Dororo and Vinland Saga are both Amazon Prime shows, and I don't think any of the anime they've had has gotten released on home media.

Hmmm... Well, Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress also premiered on Amazon back when it came out, and it has since gotten a Bluray release.

Of course that doesn't necessarily prove anything, but it does show that there is yet hope for an eventual release.
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

by Forlorn Drifter Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:06 pm

Yeah, the rights for this stuff is a mess. From what I understand, there's only 3 anime that are actually Amazon exclusives, so somebody could do a home release for the rest.

It's similar with Netflix, in that they have the streaming rights for stuff like Kakegurui, but someone else could pick up home release rights (someone has the rights for Kakegurui in the U.K., but hasn't released anything yet.)

Return to Off-Topic / Whatever