Random Thoughts Thread

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

Post by RCBH928 »

I guess I have been deceived...

Nemoide wrote:I couldn't get through Firefly. I also never made it past the first season of Buffy. Joss Whedon really doesn't do it for me and I can't help but think he's overrated.

Yes I noticed the usual formula in play, was waiting to see what makes Firefly so special.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

woah weird. Buffy rules.

Nemoide, knowing your taste, I really think you'd enjoy (probably LOVE) Cabin In The Woods if you haven't seen that yet.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

RCBH928 wrote:I guess I have been deceived...

Nemoide wrote:I couldn't get through Firefly. I also never made it past the first season of Buffy. Joss Whedon really doesn't do it for me and I can't help but think he's overrated.

Yes I noticed the usual formula in play, was waiting to see what makes Firefly so special.

The characters.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

It saddens me to see movie stars fade into the background, De Niro, Cage, Kidman, and others were enough reason to see the movie. Today they take the side roles in lesser known movies. Pierce Brosnan was "the professor" in "The World's End". This guy was James Bond!

I doubt they lost their ability to act, or to draw in money.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

RCBH928 wrote:It saddens me to see movie stars fade into the background, De Niro, Cage, Kidman, and others were enough reason to see the movie. Today they take the side roles in lesser known movies. Pierce Brosnan was "the professor" in "The World's End". This guy was James Bond!

I doubt they lost their ability to act, or to draw in money.

Few actors only ever play the starring roles across their whole career, and the ones you mentioned still get those parts too. The World's End was the third Cornetto Trilogy entry, so the primary actors were sort of set. Plus, hey, they got Timothy Dalton for Hot Fuzz.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I've always seen it as some one who retires and then works part-time or just occasionally for fun but not necessarily for money.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Ziggy587 wrote:I've always seen it as some one who retires and then works part-time or just occasionally for fun but not necessarily for money.

I don't know, I tend to think many like the stardom, money, and acting and thats why they went into this business. A lot of them are middle aged only. The fact that they continue to make "lesser" movies implies they want to work but they are just not getting the deals/movies they want to play a role in. They have this thing where once you hit a specific pay you shouldn't go much less, and I guess because of this, hitting that target is basically a game over for you. Not many will hire you for $5M-10M a movie.

Its weird how they get this "a decade of spike" then fade out. For example, JIm Carrey, Sandra Bullock, and Julia Roberts were red hot in the 90s, but nothing much after that. There are probably similar actors for the 70's and 80s decades.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Some times something (negative) happens and no one will want to work with an actor or actress anymore. But for the huge stars like the ones you mentioned, it's not that. Maybe they get burned out after 10+ years of stardom and no longer want to be as active. They certainly don't need the money.

Here's a good example: Rick Moranis. Maybe he wasn't a superstar that always had the lead role or title character, but the characters he played were played extremely well. He had a dozen memorable rolls over a 10-15 year period, and I couldn't imagine anyone else playing Louis Tully, Dark Helmet or Wayne Szalinski (just to name a few). But after his wife died of cancer he pretty much quit his acting career so he could focus on being a father to his two children.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

I have learned of Amazon Workspaces, and while I don't know how well it performs, it is still mind boggling that you can have a virtual computer in the cloud that you can access anywhere. I know remote desktop software are decades old, but the idea of a virtual one is amazing...

I wonder if it works in a way that you don't need a beefy PC, just something enough to run the client, and all the processing power will be handled by the AWS... never upgrade again!
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Avengers End Game surpassed Avatar as the highest grossing film of all time. Not sure to be surprised of the popularity of Marvel movies which have been being pumped out for 2 decades by now and should be withering in popularity, or that Avatar became the highest grossing film in the first place. Never saw whats so special about that movie and the story as someone has put it , is basically "Dances with Wolves" .