Random Thoughts Thread

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Markies
Next-Gen

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

Post by Markies »

Note wrote:Don't have anything specific planned. Wish I could hang out with family and friends like the pre pandemic days. Think I'll just grab some take out, have a beer or two, and enjoy some arcade style games.

Happy Birthday Note!!
Always glad to meet other late January Birthdays. We are hard to find sometimes. :D

I was thinking of hanging out at a Board Game Store on my Birthday, but I decided against it because of COVID. Instead, I had a quiet weekend where I had a friend over to play board games, I slept in every day and I beat some video games. It was a great Birthday.

As I get older, these quiet and low key Birthdays are fairly awesome!
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

Thanks for the birthday wishes everyone, I really appreciate it!

Sounds like you had a really nice weekend, Markies. Glad you were able to spend some time with your friend and get some gaming in. Which board games did you play? I'm just curious, as I don't play board games regularly, but I think it could be something that would be fun to dive into, with being at home much more since the pandemic started.

Also, I totally agree with you about just doing something quiet and low key!
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Happy Birthday, Note!
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

Note wrote:Sounds like you had a really nice weekend, Markies. Glad you were able to spend some time with your friend and get some gaming in. Which board games did you play? I'm just curious, as I don't play board games regularly, but I think it could be something that would be fun to dive into, with being at home much more since the pandemic started.

One of my Pandemic essentials became Board Game Arena.

https://boardgamearena.com/welcome

If you are stuck at home and are looking for something fun to do, it is freaking awesome. It has helped me throughout many days and nights.

It is a free web site where after you create an account, you can play Board Games in your Browser. It works on your phone too and you play with people all over the world. The website has HUNDREDS of Board Games and you can play them for free. Even to pay for a membership is like $12 or $15 for a year's subscription. You can play with your friends or even complete strangers.

I absolutely recommend it to anybody that has ANY interest in Board Games.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

Since work is chaos now, at least I'm getting more money, and don't plan on getting games until I clear some backlog except for the 3 handheld Zelda titles I need. I think I'll be more aggressive with my body mods now.

In the process of getting a cyberpunk jack from mass effect-esque neck/chest/back tattoo. I'll be probably get some filler on my left arm, potentially an "orgasm eyes" tattoo as one of them. I can probably get some piercings done inbetween sessions too.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Happy birthday Markies and Note, and Markies, thanks for the board game tip!

I do like some board games, but I only ever scratched the surface of them, and never liked some of the more popular hits (hate Monopoly, indifferent to Settlers).

Risk was my childhood jam, though. And Axis and Allies. I know Elmo called it all Ameritrash, but even today I still play a computerized version of Risk (Lux Deluxe and its various maps). Simple, quick, and just enough strategy to scratch the itch without being a time sink.

I'll definitely check out that website, though. I sometimes feel a bit plebeian in missing out on the numerous board games available.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Markies wrote:
Note wrote:Sounds like you had a really nice weekend, Markies. Glad you were able to spend some time with your friend and get some gaming in. Which board games did you play? I'm just curious, as I don't play board games regularly, but I think it could be something that would be fun to dive into, with being at home much more since the pandemic started.

One of my Pandemic essentials became Board Game Arena.

https://boardgamearena.com/welcome

If you are stuck at home and are looking for something fun to do, it is freaking awesome. It has helped me throughout many days and nights.

It is a free web site where after you create an account, you can play Board Games in your Browser. It works on your phone too and you play with people all over the world. The website has HUNDREDS of Board Games and you can play them for free. Even to pay for a membership is like $12 or $15 for a year's subscription. You can play with your friends or even complete strangers.

I absolutely recommend it to anybody that has ANY interest in Board Games.

neat, thanks. happy birthday
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

I noticed that Fraiser has been on Cheers for 9 seasons and on his show for 11 years. So 20 years, this means he must be the longest running fictional character on tv, and a popular one unlike Joey from Friends that had 2 season show that flopped afaik.
Limewater
Next-Gen

Post by Limewater »

RCBH928 wrote:I noticed that Fraiser has been on Cheers for 9 seasons and on his show for 11 years. So 20 years, this means he must be the longest running fictional character on tv, and a popular one unlike Joey from Friends that had 2 season show that flopped afaik.

The first Simpsons cartoons debuted on The Tracy Ullman show in 1987 before starting their show in 1989.

Big Bird Debuted in 1969, and was played by Caroll Spinney until 2015, and voiced by him until 2018.

Restricting it to human characters played physically by humans, William Roache has been playing the same character on a British soap opera called Coronation Street since 1960.

If you restrict it to American television, Susan Lucci played the same character on All My Children for 41 years, and I'm pretty sure there are several others with longer careers.

Limiting it to human characters played physically by humans on American prime-time TV, Mariska Hargitay has played Olivia Benson on Law & Order:SVU since 1999.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Limewater wrote:
RCBH928 wrote:I noticed that Fraiser has been on Cheers for 9 seasons and on his show for 11 years. So 20 years, this means he must be the longest running fictional character on tv, and a popular one unlike Joey from Friends that had 2 season show that flopped afaik.

The first Simpsons cartoons debuted on The Tracy Ullman show in 1987 before starting their show in 1989.

Big Bird Debuted in 1969, and was played by Caroll Spinney until 2015, and voiced by him until 2018.

Restricting it to human characters played physically by humans, William Roache has been playing the same character on a British soap opera called Coronation Street since 1960.

If you restrict it to American television, Susan Lucci played the same character on All My Children for 41 years, and I'm pretty sure there are several others with longer careers.

Limiting it to human characters played physically by humans on American prime-time TV, Mariska Hargitay has played Olivia Benson on Law & Order:SVU since 1999.

cartoon character's does not count, you can keep redrawing them.

I'll give you Big bird though, didn't imagine it was the same guy from 1969 up until 2015. Thats insane!

Mariska is more believable, but same, has she been a re-occuring character or one of the main characters on every episodes? I never saw Law&Order.

and I guess I am ignorant, but as for Susan and Roache , have they been like a main character in most episodes or re-occuring character over the years? WHO WATCHES A SHOW FOR 60 YEARS?! Even the viewers are dead, and I do not assume those picked up later on it are willing to watch 20 years of past episodes!