Random Thoughts Thread

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
marurun

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

Post by marurun »

And Disney now owns Avatar. However, the MCU has produced tons of cash, and I don't think the pending Avatar sequels are going to do nearly as well as their progenitor.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Yeah, the first Avatar was the right film at the right place and time with the right gimmick. I'd say it was a fluke but that's downplaying how savvy of a businessman James Cameron is.

The sequel will probably do well but I doubt it'll break any records.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

RCBH928 wrote:Avengers End Game surpassed Avatar as the highest grossing film of all time. Not sure to be surprised of the popularity of Marvel movies which have been being pumped out for 2 decades by now and should be withering in popularity, or that Avatar became the highest grossing film in the first place. Never saw whats so special about that movie and the story as someone has put it , is basically "Dances with Wolves" .

The big thing that likely contributed to the box office numbers for Avatar is that it was the killer app for 3D. It wasn't so much out there to present a super unique story (other film comparisons tend to be Fern Gully and Pocahontas, offhand), but to be a spectacle. Which it was (still is really). 3D tickets tend to cost more, and something like 80% of Avatar's ticket sales were 3D or IMAX 3D, which contributed a fair bit to its record-breaking total.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

I guess it was more of a business tactic than artistic one, because honestly 3D sucks for me. Its cool as a technology but its not really enjoyable for watching movies. I guess everyone was after checking out the cool "3D" movie.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I'm going to warn you; do not watch the trailer for A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood unless you're somewhere you don't mind crying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VLEPhfEN2M
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I did tear up a little. Tom Hanks is a very good actor, but I see a little too much of him coming through. That said, I'm not sure what other actors could handle that kind of role. And the movie, at least the way the trailer is presented, does seem to be earnest.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I wonder how blown my mind would have been if you told me as a kid that the guy in Big would play Walt Disney and Mr. Rogers one day.
marurun

Post by marurun »

And that he would talk to a volleyball on an island!
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

So, I am moving this weekend. 95% is packed up and I will do the rest tomorrow and Saturday morning. I hope to be done by Sunday.

Unfortunately, it will take me a couple of days to setup phone/internet at my new home. They won't install it until the previous owners leave.

So, I will be absent for a couple of days. I shall return after I get set up and hopefully everything will be unpacked by then.

I'm looking forward getting back into my rhythm of beating games again. :D
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Good luck on the move!