Random Thoughts Thread

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Ziggy

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

Post by Ziggy »

stickem wrote:I don't understand my 7 yr old daughter. She has a ton of barbies but would rather watch a youtube channel featuring some girls playing with barbies. wtf....

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=lets+play :lol:
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

Ziggy587 wrote:
stickem wrote:I don't understand my 7 yr old daughter. She has a ton of barbies but would rather watch a youtube channel featuring some girls playing with barbies. wtf....

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=lets+play :lol:

I don't get the let's play videos for adults either. Unless it's a walk through I need to get past a certain point, I wouldn't have the time to watch those even if I wanted to.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Why are websites on mobile are completely retarded?
marurun

Post by marurun »

Are you just complaining out-loud, or do you really want me to write you a multi-page essay on exactly why mobile websites often suffer serious issues?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

marurun wrote:Are you just complaining out-loud, or do you really want me to write you a multi-page essay on exactly why mobile websites often suffer serious issues?

how about a few bullet points. I hear Apple talking about PostPC era and how you don't need a laptop if you have an iPad. But in all honestly, browsing the internet completely sucks on mobile, its ok for quick access but not actual browsing. Worst is that layout somehow keep re-loading, moving around, stuff pops up...really bad exprience.
marurun

Post by marurun »

RCBH928 wrote:
marurun wrote:Are you just complaining out-loud, or do you really want me to write you a multi-page essay on exactly why mobile websites often suffer serious issues?

how about a few bullet points. I hear Apple talking about PostPC era and how you don't need a laptop if you have an iPad. But in all honestly, browsing the internet completely sucks on mobile, its ok for quick access but not actual browsing. Worst is that layout somehow keep re-loading, moving around, stuff pops up...really bad exprience.

Sites that are designed to be properly responsive are actually just fine. I have no problems using sites like that. And a lot of mainstream sites are using proper responsive design principles. But the short version is that if you want your web content to be available on mobile AND on a traditional PC, you have to start compromising functions, presentation, and access. And some content simply scales better than others. Major US news sites have transitioned to mobile quite well, as well as major content providers. It is the smaller content providers, like Wikia and whatnot that really suffer because they have been unable to find a good enough compromise design.

But my experience has been, for the most part, that the more media-savvy outlets have actually weathered this change rather well.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

I was unaware of some real-world drama regarding some members on the site. Wonder who it was? That's kinda scary.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

I expect most folks were unaware. I certainly didn't know it wasn't even the first time this has happened.

Presumably that person has been banned, but I hope some sort of action has been taken in the real world too.

Having said that, the fact that the topic on the subject was immediately locked suggests that it is probably not meant for discussion.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

I didn't know, much less that it had happened before.

I just hope it's not someone I have on Steam or the like :/

I do understand moderators not wanting to have a discussion on it, I can't see it providing anything truly positive beyond the initial shock.
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

Anyone know of any retro conventions coming up this year that has a decent turnout?

I'm trying to set up some vacation for work and I'd like to do the whole road trip to a place and stay at a hotel thing. I figured why it a convention about retro games? Maybe Anime Cons too. I'm looking for ideas.

Thanks in advance.

Oops I for got to add that I live in New York but distance to travel I'm leaving open.