Random Thoughts Thread

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
marurun

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

Post by marurun »

The reason that thread is locked is because, while it is important for the Racketboy community to know that one of their own was harmed by another member stepping over a line in pursuit of a personal grudge, it is also important to respect the anonymity of the victim. That it happened is bad enough. Further, no amount of discussion will change the fact that this behavior was unacceptable. Vengeful, intolerant asshats are not welcome in our community, period. This isn't to say that the topic is verboten in other relevant threads, but the statement from the mod team should stand on its own.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

What about calling out the identity of the asshat? If nothing else, I won't wonder "whatever happen to that kember".
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

I've honestly never seen that happen in the decades using forums. Harassed online yes even off-site but never someone tracking someone down IRL. That's nuts. I kinda agree the asshat who did it should be exposed but whatever.
nullPointer
128-bit

Post by nullPointer »

marurun wrote:This isn't to say that the topic is verboten in other relevant threads, but the statement from the mod team should stand on its own.

My only question on this (and it's okay if it's none of my business), is whether or not the harasser has been dealt with or banned? I'm not really concerned regarding identities, in fact I'd rather not know, mainly I was just interested as to what actions were taken. I guess what I'm asking is, what is the appropriate repercussion for something like this? It's totally fine if the discussion is officially at an end too! It may be the mods stance that no further transparency is needed in this matter, and that's fine as well.

Super Random Crap Bros.
So last night (closer to morning) I had a dream featuring members of this here forum. Basically some of us had convened at ElkinFencer's house for some couch co-op gaming, except the game we were playing wasn't a co-op game at all. It was a 3D Legend of Zelda game the likes of which I'd never seen before. So basically Elkin created a new save slot for the gathering, and we were just passing the controller around at intervals as we worked through the game. Elkin was quite good at it since it was his house, his console, his game. Then the controller went to someone else (Bogus? Marurun? - hard to say since I don't really know what any of you look like, lol), and they were pretty good as well. Then it came to me, and I realized I had no idea about this game. First of all we were using an Xbox One controller ... on a Zelda game. Second of all the control scheme was completely bonkers. It used function buttons that you had to cycle through with the triggers until you selected the one you wanted. So if you wanted to jump with the X button, for instance you'd have to cycle through functions with the triggers until you landed on the jump function for the X button. Same deal for rolling. And I totally sucked! Meanwhile members on the couch were chiding me for not being intimately familiar with this game since it's considered to be an unequivocal classic. At one point Elkin got pissed because I accidentally deleted one of his pre-existing save slots due to my fumbling around with the trigger functions. Marurun jumped to my defense citing that I'd never played this game before. Thankfully we were able to recover the deleted save slot. And then ... well that's right about the time that my alarm started ringing. So yeah ... it was cool gaming with you dudes I guess! :mrgreen:
marurun

Post by marurun »

That is a great dream. I approve! Keep dreamin', bro!
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Segata wrote:I was unaware of some real-world drama regarding some members on the site. Wonder who it was? That's kinda scary.

what did I miss?
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

Here's a tip for tv designers. How about not putting the coax input in the most hand cramping position on the mf'ing tv.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I can guarantee that your TV's coax position is not worse than the one on the CRT I bought for college (and still have). The back panel was recessed into the plastic by a good four inches, and the coax was along the edge of the case; it actually had a divot in the case edge for half of the coax. So you can only even get purchase on half of the nut, because the other half was guarded by the plastic of the case.

Remind me in a month and I'll take a picture once it's out of storage.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

That's sound awful. Usually crt's had it right with it sticking out of the tv, not positioned parallel with hardly any space for you to hand tighten the cable. And then, when you finally get where you can start to hand tighten it, the dam thing won't thread right off the bat lol. The reason this is coming up is I got a new tv and playing musical chairs with all of them in the bedrooms/living rooms.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Are pre-built PC towers still a thing?
Most people opt for the laptops and many people find themselves adequate with the modern smartphone. Those who are looking for serious computing build their own since they can pick each component to their liking and choose the prices. I understand its even cheaper this way.

There was a time when owning a computer meant you owned a PC tower (or horizontal!)