Random Thoughts Thread

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

Post by noiseredux »

on the subject of computer platforms, because we're planning to list our house soon we've been going through all of our stuff and getting rid of things we don't need. I decided to strip the gaming PC's of parts for sale, and will be getting rid of my Surface Pro 3 bundle. Basically for over a year or whatever I've only used it for basic office applications, internet, and some media playback. So while cleaning out the basement I decided to Frankenstein a small desktop PC (literally, horizontally desktop) and a gifted Win7 Acer laptop and refresh both of them with Linux Mint. I've been using both for the past week and there's something sort of refreshing about having these two computers that were just repurposed junk and a free OS.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

isiolia wrote:First family computer I used much of was an Apple IIe we were given by my aunt and uncle when they bought a Mac. However, when my dad went to get something new, we got a 386, where I had friends with Macs as well. So, I definitely remember that early 90s Nintendo/Sega kid type stuff between the platforms (can't say I didn't do my share of it, fed with info from my dad). I wound up getting interested enough in the platform that I bought a Mac (Performa 6320CD) to sit alongside my Pentium computer (guess around '96?) and have owned at least one of each platform since.
I think you don't see as many people who are really into their computing platform now I guess, but there's still some rivalry there. I do have more users that are just honest about not being familiar with the other platform though, instead of claiming it's terrible. :lol:

I remember a lot of passion for rivalries that are just not there any more. Mercedes vs BMW , WWF vs WCW, Playstation vs Nintendo, Betamax vs VHS.. I guess even nickelodeon vs Cartoon Network :lol:
NotLuke
24-bit

Post by NotLuke »

noiseredux wrote: Surface Pro 3

Okay no-thrills laptop? Any major complaints? I was thinking about recommending a 2018 Surface Pro to a pal who just retired and needs something portable with a quick boot time.

Robin Williams would make for the ultimate Weekend at Bernie's reboot.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

It's a fantastic machine. It's just basically overkill for my sporadic usage.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

NotLuke wrote:Okay no-thrills laptop? Any major complaints? I was thinking about recommending a 2018 Surface Pro to a pal who just retired and needs something portable with a quick boot time.

With respect to the Surface Pros specifically, keep in mind that they're tablets first and foremost. So I'd only recommend one if that suits the intended use. They have the keyboard covers, but, those won't prop the rest of it up if actually using on a lap/bed/whatever (plus next to no USB ports). They have the kickstand, but it's less than ideal for those uses too.
You can find third party solutions to try and address that, but really, they make the Surface Laptop and Surface Book lines if you want to stay with MS. In general, their hardware is pretty nice. Not going to be very fixable or upgradeable, but, same could be said of most comparable devices.

My experience with handing them out to users has been mixed.

The caveats you mentioned are things that plenty of 13"-ish Ultrabook type laptops with an SSD (so, most of them) would fit.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

The Brydge keyboard I got makes it feel like a sturdy laptop. Those folio cases definitely don't haha.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Is there no "jump to last post" option for the mobile version of the new skin?
marurun

Post by marurun »

First unread only.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

Post by Forlorn Drifter »

I'm going to take a longshot on a vet-tech job. Its local, and I sort of have connections. Hopefully my large animal experience will help. Wish me luck!

I'm also weirdly homesick for my college town.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
Ack

Post by Ack »

Good luck, Forlorn. And homesickness is normal. You spent a lot of time there; you get used to a placement. Enjoy the nostalgia you feel but don't let it rule you.