George Willborn And Family File $100 Million Lawsuit

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
AppleQueso

Re: George Willborn And Family File $100 Million Lawsuit

Post by AppleQueso »

I don't know, I find it hard to believe that the lawsuit is just a cash grab. The comedian is obviously pretty well off if he can afford a 1.7mil dollar house.

Seems to me like he's just trying to say "hey fuck you!" by hitting the owner where it hurts the most, their pocketbook. These people are filthy rich, money is the only thing they understand. Of course I could be wrong about all of this, but eh, that's what I'm getting out of it at least.

Either way, the fact that someone is refusing to sell their house to a person because of their race in this day and age bothers me FAR more than an already rich guy apparently trying to get rich by suing another rich guy.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

In the United States, is is illegal to discriminate based on race or ethnicity with regards to the sale or rental of real property (or personal property for that matter). Here is a link to the Supreme Court's decision if you would like some light reading:

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/g ... &invol=409

Accordingly, you do not have a "right" to refuse to sell someone real or personal property because of the buyer's person's race or ethnicity. I am sure that more intelligent bigots - if there is such a thing - could figure out a way to skirt this prohibition, but that is besides the point. It is still illegal.

Also, there is absolutely no chance that the plaintiffs in that action will recover $100 million. Who is going to pay it? The people selling the house? If they had $100 million, they would (a) live in a house that costs more than $100 million, and (b) be smart enough not to admit that they wilfully discriminated against a potential buyer on the basis of his or her race. At most, they will receive an injunction commanding the owner to sell them the house on the agreed terms. They might receive some punitive damages, but they probably won't touch the amount that the owners of the property would rack up in attorney's fees defending the case. What will probably happen is: the owner's will offer to settle by agreeing to sell the house at a reduced rate and paying the plaintiffs' attorney's fees (which probably will not be more than several thousand dollars).

The unspoken truth is that the only people who get rich from suing other people are lawyers, and, like any business owner, they don't become fabulously wealthy without a lot of hard work and luck.
EvilRyu2099
Next-Gen

Post by EvilRyu2099 »

AppleQueso wrote:
Either way, the fact that someone is refusing to sell their house to a person because of their race in this day and age bothers me FAR more than an already rich guy apparently trying to get rich by suing another rich guy.

+1
PSN: GoTigers9999
Live: Iori8000
Nintendo:Iori9999 3DS Friend Code: 4012-3366-0941
My Twitch stream channel!
EvilRyu2099
Next-Gen

Post by EvilRyu2099 »

Gmr, that is probably what will happen.. Suing for 100 million on grounds of discrimination is a bit ludicrous...
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

EvilRyu2099 wrote:Suing for 100 million on grounds of discrimination is a bit ludicrous...

Not that I disagree with that... I don't think the comedian here actually expects to get that money either way. I suspect that 100mil thing is just to scare the homeowners a little bit.
EvilRyu2099
Next-Gen

Post by EvilRyu2099 »

AppleQueso wrote:
EvilRyu2099 wrote:Gmr, that is probably what will happen.. Suing for 100 million on grounds of discrimination is a bit ludicrous...

Not that I disagree with that... I don't think the comedian here actually expects to get that money either way. I suspect that 100mil thing is just to scare the homeowners a little bit.

You're probably right.. If his intentions were to just make an example of this guy, I could see it, but it's not like you'll change the perception of the seller... Why not just move on? IMO it just makes the situation uglier even if he has good intentions with this...
GamerMON
Next-Gen

Post by GamerMON »

Willie Gary wrote: They were discriminated against in the worst way
Housing discrimination worse than apartheid, segregation, or the KKK.

This reminded me of a Bender quote "This is the worst kind of discrimination. The kind against me."
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

GamerMON wrote:
Willie Gary wrote: They were discriminated against in the worst way
Housing discrimination worse than apartheid, segregation, or the KKK.

This reminded me of a Bender quote "This is the worst kind of discrimination. The kind against me."

pretty sure he was referring to racial discrimination vs say, age discrimination and not housing discrimination vs the KKK.
Jrecee
Next-Gen

Post by Jrecee »

There's a great comment on that article though

"Of course Blacks have the right to buy any house they can afford, but under the new test for constitutional rights developed by the Right Wing, people should not exercise their constitutional rights unless everyone else in the country consents.

Gays cannot serve in the military or get married as it offends some people.
Muslims cannot build mosques because it offends people

Blacks cannot buy houses because it offends some people.

It is fine and dandy to have constitutional rights, but please do not be so crass as to think that you should exercise your rights. We have become a nation filled with hypocritical bigots."
Octopod
Next-Gen

Post by Octopod »

The constitution in large part exist to protect people from democracy so it makes absolutely no sense to need consent to exercise those rights.