Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
User avatar
meat
64-bit
 
Posts: 316
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:51 pm
Location: eastern nc

Re: The Wrestling Thread

by meat Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:01 pm

i use to like american wrestling.till a friend sent me some youtube link with KENTA vs. ricky marvin.awesome match.then i order a old apjw vhs.i saw misawa vs. vader(yes that one)for the triple crown.i still watch tna for the cruiserweights.
youtube@gamingtrucker1
twitter@gamingtrucker1
twitch@gamingtrucker1
User avatar
sevin0seven
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 8935
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 12:18 pm
Location: Bay Area, CA

Re: The Wrestling Thread

by sevin0seven Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:06 pm

CM Punk was attacked by a fan during a WWE Raw house show in Shreveport, LA last night. During a match with Mark Henry, Punk was outside the ring taunting fans when a young fan reached out and struck him.

Punk then grabbed the fan, which led to others trying to get involved. Several fans were tossed out of the show. There are conflicting reports about how old the fan was - a teenager or younger.

After the match, Punk had to be checked out for a possible eye injury as officials were worried he scratched his cornea.

He's still scheduled for Raw tonight.


source: http://www.pwinsider.com/article/54426/ ... t.html?p=1
Visit my store: sevin0seven Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
User avatar
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 10185
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:15 pm
Location: Florida

Re: The Wrestling Thread

by Gamerforlife Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:31 pm

sevin0seven wrote:
CM Punk was attacked by a fan during a WWE Raw house show in Shreveport, LA last night. During a match with Mark Henry, Punk was outside the ring taunting fans when a young fan reached out and struck him.

Punk then grabbed the fan, which led to others trying to get involved. Several fans were tossed out of the show. There are conflicting reports about how old the fan was - a teenager or younger.

After the match, Punk had to be checked out for a possible eye injury as officials were worried he scratched his cornea.

He's still scheduled for Raw tonight.


source: http://www.pwinsider.com/article/54426/ ... t.html?p=1


Wow, this is like something that happened with Chris Jericho a year or two ago
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
User avatar
BurningDoom
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 5953
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:14 am

Re: Wrestling Fans?

by BurningDoom Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:07 pm

the King wrote:
BurningDoom wrote:So what a lot of the guys were from WWF. A lot of WWF guys at the time were from WCW. That's just the way the wrestling industry works, it's still that way between TNA & WWE. Wrestlers just go back and forth.

As for being a one trick pony, well I have to disagree there, as well. nWo is indeed what most people remember WCW for, but there's far more they've done that still has a lasting legacy today:

-Goldberg. Need I explain more?

-The Cruiserweight Division. Back in the 90s, WWF was all about big men. WCW got some of the best high-flyers, luchadors, and Japanese wrestlers who implemented martial arts into their style and created the fast-paced, high-action Cruiserweight Division. This was the daddy to TNA's X-Division. This is where you get your guys like Rey Mysterio, Chris Jericho, Eddie Guerrero, and others. Without WCW's Cruiserweight Division they probably never would have gotten as big as their careers got.

-Innovative matches like War Games and Three Levels of Hell.

-Ric Flair. His best years, without a doubt, were in WCW. The only name bigger than Ric Flair in wrestling is Hulk Hogan.

-The 4-Horsemen. The most important faction of all-time. Without the 4-Horsemen, we may never have had the nWo, Degeneration-X, or Nexus, or anything like that. They were the blueprint of a good faction.

-Starrcade. Despite what Vince McMahon may like to tell you, Wrestlemania WAS NOT the first PPV in wrestling nor was it first successful PPV. Starrcade was. Starrcade pre-dates Wrestlemania by 2 years debuting in 1983 and had ran every subsequent year since in WCW. That's why it's called "The Grandaddy of Em All!"

-Tag-Team wrestling. WWE was messing with comedy tag-teams like Earthquake & Hurricane, The Headbangers, The Doinks, The Bushwhackers, The Nasty Boys, and other ridiculous teams. While WCW had quality tag teams that put on a good match like The Outsiders, The Steiner Brothers, Harlem Heat, Sting & Lex Luger, The Four Horsemen, The Fabulous Freebirds, and other great teams.

-Main-Event action. Okay, WWF definetly had this one too. Let's just say both wrestling organizations could put on a great main-event match. I mean look at all the legends that WCW had to work with: Ric Flair, Arn Anderson, Sting, Lex Luger, Vader, Hulk Hogan, Macho Man Randy Savage, Goldberg, Diamond Dallas Page, Jeff Jarrett, Bret Hart, Rowdy Roddy Piper, The Giant, Kevin Nash, Scott Steiner, Dusty Rhodes.

-Bobby The Brain Heenan. I can't emphasize enough how much I loved his color commentary. The guy is pure comedy gold.


The point is that WCW had a larger bankroll and could buy the top stars the WWF created and made. Hogan, Savage, Jarrett, Bret Hart, Piper, Nash, Hall, Bobby the Brain Heenan all had their best years and made their name in the WWF. So, you can't say WCW was better because they had Bobby the Brain Heenan when the WWF had him first. The majority of the legends you listed became legends because of their work in the WWF, not the WCW. And yes TNA is pretty much all ex-WWF wrestlers as well, except for now they are WWF cast offs. At least the ones they seem to be pushing when they should be pushing more of their young talent.

The NWO angle is what put them over the top. Before that they were competing with the WWF, but it wasn't until the NWO that they finally beat the WWF. Then after that they went back to number 2 and eventually folded.

Starrcade was started by the NWA and Jim Crockett Promotions, not WCW and I'd say Ric Flair had his best years in the NWA. I'ds say the same thing for guys like Arn Anderson and Dusty Rhodes. I'd also say the 4 Horsemen should be credited to the NWA, unless you are talking about that abomination with Mongo McMichael in it.

War Games and the Three Levels of Hell are stupid. So is the Elimination chamber.

Goldberg was beyond stupid.


Are you still carrying a torch for the Monday Night Wars, or what? Why can't there be love for both WWF & WCW? I fully enjoy both.

But still, I have to disagree on some things, again. Jim Crockett Productions was WCW. They simply changed names and owners when it because WCW, but most of the same guys that ran the show and the wrestlers stayed. The roster changed very little when the change hit. For all intents and purposes as a fan, they were one and the same. And a big misconception is that Jim Crocket was NWA. Jim Crocket was a wrestling promotion that was wrestling under the large NWA umbrella which included many wrestling organizations including the Turner owned WCW for it's first few years.

Totally true about nWo putting them over-the-top. There's no denying that. But WCW had nearly a decade of on-air wrestling under it's belt by them. I watched it long before nWo debuted and enjoyed it, alongside watching WWF.

Hogan, Savage, Jarrett, Bret Hart, Piper, Nash, Hall, Bobby the Brain Heenan


Yeah, they were establised at WWF. But again I say, so what? That has always happened in wrestling and still is today between WWE, ROH, & TNA. Wrestlers follow the money, there are only a handful of them that are actually company loyal. If you want to get technical about it, WWF stole nearly all of those guys from the AWA including Hogan. However to say Jarrett, Hall, and Nash had their best years at WWF is a bit of a stretch. I fully say that they're best years were with WCW. That's when Jarrett first became a World Heavyweight Champion and was "The Chosen One." Hall and Nash created the nWo and became the nearly unstoppable tag-team The Outsiders in WCW. Actually, I wouldn't even say Jarrett's best years with WCW either, just that he had better years with them then as a mid-carder in WWF. His best years are undoubtedly his TNA years, which he completely dominated for the first half of TNA's existence.

Yeah, Bobby the Brain Heenan was in WWF. I never said anything against it. I enjoyed the hell out him there. But why does that mean I can't enjoy him in WCW, as well? Especially since he became the regular color commentator we got to hear a lot more from him.

As for Goldberg being a joke, well that's a matter of opinion. But the unamiously loud chants of "Goldberg!" from crowds across the world tell me that he was quite popular.

The specialty matches are also a matter of opinion. I enjoyed them. But you can't please everyone. But at least WCW can say they took chances and were innovative.
Last edited by BurningDoom on Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Game Trade/Want List:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28206

Consoles Owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Super GB, N64, Gamecube, GB Player, Wii, Sega Power Base Converter, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, TurboGrafx-16, PlayStation, PS2 Slim, XBox, XBox 360, Game Boy, GBC, GBA-SP, DS, Game Gear, GG Master Converter
User avatar
brainofjtd
24-bit
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:02 am

Re: The Wrestling Thread

by brainofjtd Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:09 pm

All I know is that Vince Mcmahon has an irrational hard-on for burly big men and WCW made me fall in love with lean high flyers. That's what I'll always be thankful for. No matter how many Goldberg matches they had, there were 5 matches involving Jventud Gurrera, Psychosis, Kidman, and others.
"The sad thing is they'd probably throw someone like Zorro in Arkham." - Thomas Wayne
User avatar
the King
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1027
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:22 pm
Location: Hockeytown, USA

Re: Wrestling Fans?

by the King Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:43 pm

BurningDoom wrote:Are you still carrying a torch for the Monday Night Wars, or what?

I'd say yeah probably. I actually wish there was that kind of competition now, the WWE(I hate that E) would probably be a lot better. But you said WCW was the best ever and I'm sorry they weren't. They had a good run, with some great ideas like I said before, but not the best ever. I actually like the discussion, I was a big wrestling fan at that time.

BurningDoom wrote:
But still, I have to disagree on some things, again. Jim Crockett Productions was WCW. They simply changed names and owners when it because WCW, but most of the same guys that ran the show and the wrestlers stayed. The roster changed very little when the change hit. For all intents and purposes as a fan, they were one and the same. And a big misconception is that Jim Crocket was NWA. Jim Crocket was a wrestling promotion that was wrestling under the large NWA umbrella which included many wrestling organizations including the Turner owned WCW for it's first few years.

Totally true about nWo putting them over-the-top. There's no denying that. But WCW had nearly a decade of on-air wrestling under it's belt by them. I watched it long before nWo debuted and enjoyed it, alongside watching WWF.

Hogan, Savage, Jarrett, Bret Hart, Piper, Nash, Hall, Bobby the Brain Heenan


Yeah, they were establised at WWF. But again I say, so what? That has always happened in wrestling and still is today between WWE, ROH, & TNA. Wrestlers follow the money, there are only a handful of them that are actually company loyal. If you want to get technical about it, WWF stole nearly all of those guys from the AWA including Hogan. However to say Jarrett, Hall, and Nash had their best years at WWF is a bit of a stretch. I fully say that they're best years were with WCW. That's when Jarrett first became a World Heavyweight Champion and was "The Chosen One." Hall and Nash created the nWo and became the nearly unstoppable tag-team The Outsiders in WCW. Actually, I wouldn't even say Jarrett's best years with WCW either, just that he had better years with them then as a mid-carder in WWF. His best years are undoubtedly his TNA years, which he completely dominated for the first half of TNA's existence.

Yeah, Bobby the Brain Heenan was in WWF. I never said anything against it. I enjoyed the hell out him there. But why does that mean I can't enjoy him in WCW, as well? Especially since he became the regular color commentator we got to hear a lot more from him.

As for Goldberg being a joke, well that's a matter of opinion. But the unamiously loud chants of "Goldberg!" from crowds across the world tell me that he was quite popular.

The matches are also a matter of opinion. I enjoyed them. But you can't please everyone. But at least WCW can say they took chances and were innovative.


If Jim Crockett Productions was WCW then WCW is WWE now. Jim Crockett was bought out by Ted Turner and then Ted Turner was bought out by Vince McMahon.

You cited Bobby Heenan has a reason why you liked WCW over WWF. He was a part of both organizations and made a name for himself in the WWF. So, if part of your reasoning for saying WCW is the best, then why would that put over his work in the WWF.

Comparing taking wrestlers from the regional AWA and that time period to taking main event national stars from one national association to another national association really isn't the same. WCW was buying main event wrestlers from the WWF and ignoring any up and coming wrestlers they had while the WWF was turning their mid carders(Hart, Nash, Michaels) into stars. Something WCW could never do. The same thing TNA is screwing up now and look who's in charge.

You do know they piped that Goldberg chant into the arena, don't you? And you can't honestly tell me you ever enjoyed one of his "matches".
User avatar
meat
64-bit
 
Posts: 316
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:51 pm
Location: eastern nc

Re: The Wrestling Thread

by meat Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:06 am

the only goldberg match i liked was on nitro.when lord steven regel no sold most of his moves.it used to be on youtube
youtube@gamingtrucker1
twitter@gamingtrucker1
twitch@gamingtrucker1
User avatar
sevin0seven
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 8935
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 12:18 pm
Location: Bay Area, CA

Re: The Wrestling Thread

by sevin0seven Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:27 am

the King wrote:
BurningDoom wrote:Are you still carrying a torch for the Monday Night Wars, or what?

I'd say yeah probably...


the King wrote:
BurningDoom wrote:As for Goldberg being a joke, well that's a matter of opinion. But the unamiously loud chants of "Goldberg!" from crowds across the world tell me that he was quite popular.

You do know they piped that Goldberg chant into the arena, don't you? And you can't honestly tell me you ever enjoyed one of his "matches".


Image

Booked it!

:P
Visit my store: sevin0seven Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
User avatar
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 10185
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:15 pm
Location: Florida

Re: The Wrestling Thread

by Gamerforlife Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:37 am

sevin0seven wrote:
the King wrote:
BurningDoom wrote:Are you still carrying a torch for the Monday Night Wars, or what?

I'd say yeah probably...


the King wrote:
BurningDoom wrote:As for Goldberg being a joke, well that's a matter of opinion. But the unamiously loud chants of "Goldberg!" from crowds across the world tell me that he was quite popular.

You do know they piped that Goldberg chant into the arena, don't you? And you can't honestly tell me you ever enjoyed one of his "matches".


Image

Booked it!

:P


That better be the main event. They need top billing!
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
User avatar
BurningDoom
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 5953
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:14 am

Re: Wrestling Fans?

by BurningDoom Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:59 am

the King wrote:
BurningDoom wrote:Are you still carrying a torch for the Monday Night Wars, or what?

I'd say yeah probably. I actually wish there was that kind of competition now, the WWE(I hate that E) would probably be a lot better. But you said WCW was the best ever and I'm sorry they weren't. They had a good run, with some great ideas like I said before, but not the best ever. I actually like the discussion, I was a big wrestling fan at that time.

BurningDoom wrote:
But still, I have to disagree on some things, again. Jim Crockett Productions was WCW. They simply changed names and owners when it because WCW, but most of the same guys that ran the show and the wrestlers stayed. The roster changed very little when the change hit. For all intents and purposes as a fan, they were one and the same. And a big misconception is that Jim Crocket was NWA. Jim Crocket was a wrestling promotion that was wrestling under the large NWA umbrella which included many wrestling organizations including the Turner owned WCW for it's first few years.

Totally true about nWo putting them over-the-top. There's no denying that. But WCW had nearly a decade of on-air wrestling under it's belt by them. I watched it long before nWo debuted and enjoyed it, alongside watching WWF.

Hogan, Savage, Jarrett, Bret Hart, Piper, Nash, Hall, Bobby the Brain Heenan


Yeah, they were establised at WWF. But again I say, so what? That has always happened in wrestling and still is today between WWE, ROH, & TNA. Wrestlers follow the money, there are only a handful of them that are actually company loyal. If you want to get technical about it, WWF stole nearly all of those guys from the AWA including Hogan. However to say Jarrett, Hall, and Nash had their best years at WWF is a bit of a stretch. I fully say that they're best years were with WCW. That's when Jarrett first became a World Heavyweight Champion and was "The Chosen One." Hall and Nash created the nWo and became the nearly unstoppable tag-team The Outsiders in WCW. Actually, I wouldn't even say Jarrett's best years with WCW either, just that he had better years with them then as a mid-carder in WWF. His best years are undoubtedly his TNA years, which he completely dominated for the first half of TNA's existence.

Yeah, Bobby the Brain Heenan was in WWF. I never said anything against it. I enjoyed the hell out him there. But why does that mean I can't enjoy him in WCW, as well? Especially since he became the regular color commentator we got to hear a lot more from him.

As for Goldberg being a joke, well that's a matter of opinion. But the unamiously loud chants of "Goldberg!" from crowds across the world tell me that he was quite popular.

The matches are also a matter of opinion. I enjoyed them. But you can't please everyone. But at least WCW can say they took chances and were innovative.


If Jim Crockett Productions was WCW then WCW is WWE now. Jim Crockett was bought out by Ted Turner and then Ted Turner was bought out by Vince McMahon.

You cited Bobby Heenan has a reason why you liked WCW over WWF. He was a part of both organizations and made a name for himself in the WWF. So, if part of your reasoning for saying WCW is the best, then why would that put over his work in the WWF.

Comparing taking wrestlers from the regional AWA and that time period to taking main event national stars from one national association to another national association really isn't the same. WCW was buying main event wrestlers from the WWF and ignoring any up and coming wrestlers they had while the WWF was turning their mid carders(Hart, Nash, Michaels) into stars. Something WCW could never do. The same thing TNA is screwing up now and look who's in charge.

You do know they piped that Goldberg chant into the arena, don't you? And you can't honestly tell me you ever enjoyed one of his "matches".


I was never trying to make a WWF vs. WCW argument, I was simply saying WCW was my favorite. In fact I've been saying the whole time I like both WCW and WWF.

And AWA wasn't regional. It had a nationally televised TV show. AWA was WWF's main competition in the 80s. On a side note, that's where Eric Bischoff got his start, he used to do the interview segments.

The buyout of WCW by WWE was far different than the buyout by Turner. The buyout by Turner was simply a change of management. All the wrestlers, announcers, and other staff stayed right where they were at. When WWE bought-out WCW, WCW closed shop and disappeared, and WWE only used a handful of their wrestlers. Hardly the same situation.
Game Trade/Want List:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28206

Consoles Owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Super GB, N64, Gamecube, GB Player, Wii, Sega Power Base Converter, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, TurboGrafx-16, PlayStation, PS2 Slim, XBox, XBox 360, Game Boy, GBC, GBA-SP, DS, Game Gear, GG Master Converter
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests