Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
User avatar
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 10185
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:15 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Wrestling Fans?

by Gamerforlife Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:10 pm

BurningDoom wrote:
FiftyDollarCurse wrote:
Gamerforlife wrote:Favorite Faction
DX, when it had China, Road Warriors, Xpac and Triple H


Haha, whut? That would have been awesome to see "X" crotch chops from Hawk and Animal though.

"Tell 'em Hawk!

Well! Suuuuck iiiit..."


Easy mistake Road Dogg was a member. New Age Outlaws is what you were looking for, Gamerforlife. Road Warriors was the guys with facepaint, that wore football pads with spikes on them out to the ring. And they were ugly SOBs, but put on some of the greatest tag-team matches of all time.

New Age Outlaws:
Image

Road Warriors:
Image


Hahaha, yeah I feel stupid now. Yeah, I know who the Road Warriors were, but like you said Road Dogg, Road Warriors, I slipped up. Both the Road Warriors and the New Age Outlaws were pretty awesome though, but yeah I really loved DX when Triple H took over the faction and I feel those were DX's best moments. No disrespect to Shawn Michaels though. He was great in DX too and it was his creation I believe
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
User avatar
brainofjtd
24-bit
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:02 am

Re: The Wrestling Thread

by brainofjtd Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:25 am

Micheals + HHH created the stable with Chyna and Rick Rude. Which is weird to say considering how youthful the stable is portrayed.
"The sad thing is they'd probably throw someone like Zorro in Arkham." - Thomas Wayne
User avatar
the King
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1027
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:22 pm
Location: Hockeytown, USA

Re: Wrestling Fans?

by the King Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:42 am

BurningDoom wrote:
WCW is the greatest of all-time. God I miss WCW. I watched from the mid-90s up until the end. Admittedly it got pretty bad in that last year or so in 2000-2001, but I held on to hope. The nWo storyline was unforgettable. Sting is the best ever. And Ric Flair is the model heel wrestler. So many other greats that wrestling in WCW's honored ring: Hulk Hogan, Macho Man Randy Savage, Sting, Ric Flair, The Steiner Brothers, Goldberg, Booker T, Rey Mysterio, Chris Jericho, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Jeff Jarret, Diamond Dallas Page, Bret Hart, Rowdy Roddy Piper, Eddie Guerrero, and others. And Bobby The Brain Heenan was the most freaking hilarious wrestling announcer ever, even funner than Jerry The King Lawler at his best.



WCW was a one trick pony. They had one great idea that changed wrestling; turning Hogan heel and the NWO, but that was still just using stars the WWF created and they milked that angle for way too long. The majority of the names you mentioned were from the WWF and those that weren't were either under used(Jericho) or lame(Goldberg, Sting).
User avatar
BurningDoom
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 5953
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:14 am

Re: Wrestling Fans?

by BurningDoom Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:50 pm

the King wrote:
BurningDoom wrote:
WCW is the greatest of all-time. God I miss WCW. I watched from the mid-90s up until the end. Admittedly it got pretty bad in that last year or so in 2000-2001, but I held on to hope. The nWo storyline was unforgettable. Sting is the best ever. And Ric Flair is the model heel wrestler. So many other greats that wrestling in WCW's honored ring: Hulk Hogan, Macho Man Randy Savage, Sting, Ric Flair, The Steiner Brothers, Goldberg, Booker T, Rey Mysterio, Chris Jericho, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Jeff Jarret, Diamond Dallas Page, Bret Hart, Rowdy Roddy Piper, Eddie Guerrero, and others. And Bobby The Brain Heenan was the most freaking hilarious wrestling announcer ever, even funner than Jerry The King Lawler at his best.



WCW was a one trick pony. They had one great idea that changed wrestling; turning Hogan heel and the NWO, but that was still just using stars the WWF created and they milked that angle for way too long. The majority of the names you mentioned were from the WWF and those that weren't were either under used(Jericho) or lame(Goldberg, Sting).


So what a lot of the guys were from WWF. A lot of WWF guys at the time were from WCW. That's just the way the wrestling industry works, it's still that way between TNA & WWE. Wrestlers just go back and forth.

As for being a one trick pony, well I have to disagree there, as well. nWo is indeed what most people remember WCW for, but there's far more they've done that still has a lasting legacy today:

-Goldberg. Need I explain more?

-The Cruiserweight Division. Back in the 90s, WWF was all about big men. WCW got some of the best high-flyers, luchadors, and Japanese wrestlers who implemented martial arts into their style and created the fast-paced, high-action Cruiserweight Division. This was the daddy to TNA's X-Division. This is where you get your guys like Rey Mysterio, Chris Jericho, Eddie Guerrero, and others. Without WCW's Cruiserweight Division they probably never would have gotten as big as their careers got.

-Innovative matches like War Games and Three Levels of Hell.

-Ric Flair. His best years, without a doubt, were in WCW. The only name bigger than Ric Flair in wrestling is Hulk Hogan.

-The 4-Horsemen. The most important faction of all-time. Without the 4-Horsemen, we may never have had the nWo, Degeneration-X, or Nexus, or anything like that. They were the blueprint of a good faction.

-Starrcade. Despite what Vince McMahon may like to tell you, Wrestlemania WAS NOT the first PPV in wrestling nor was it first successful PPV. Starrcade was. Starrcade pre-dates Wrestlemania by 2 years debuting in 1983 and had ran every subsequent year since in WCW. That's why it's called "The Grandaddy of Em All!"

-Tag-Team wrestling. WWE was messing with comedy tag-teams like Earthquake & Hurricane, The Headbangers, The Doinks, The Bushwhackers, The Nasty Boys, and other ridiculous teams. While WCW had quality tag teams that put on a good match like The Outsiders, The Steiner Brothers, Harlem Heat, Sting & Lex Luger, The Four Horsemen, The Fabulous Freebirds, and other great teams.

-Main-Event action. Okay, WWF definetly had this one too. Let's just say both wrestling organizations could put on a great main-event match. I mean look at all the legends that WCW had to work with: Ric Flair, Arn Anderson, Sting, Lex Luger, Vader, Hulk Hogan, Macho Man Randy Savage, Goldberg, Diamond Dallas Page, Jeff Jarrett, Bret Hart, Rowdy Roddy Piper, The Giant, Kevin Nash, Scott Steiner, Dusty Rhodes.

-Bobby The Brain Heenan. I can't emphasize enough how much I loved his color commentary. The guy is pure comedy gold.
Game Trade/Want List:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28206

Consoles Owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Super GB, N64, Gamecube, GB Player, Wii, Sega Power Base Converter, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, TurboGrafx-16, PlayStation, PS2 Slim, XBox, XBox 360, Game Boy, GBC, GBA-SP, DS, Game Gear, GG Master Converter
User avatar
sevin0seven
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 8923
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 12:18 pm
Location: Bay Area, CA

Re: The Wrestling Thread

by sevin0seven Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:24 pm

^hopefully WWE will honor WCW in this year's Wresltemania in Atlanta. so what's your favorite wrestler's intro? the intros i enjoyed the most was The Rock, Bret Hart, Scott Hall and Goldberg....I guess Hulk Hogan too (back in the WWF 90s).
Visit my store: sevin0seven Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
User avatar
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 10185
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:15 pm
Location: Florida

Re: The Wrestling Thread

by Gamerforlife Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:34 pm

Triple + Motorhead = Awesome

I especially love when he uses the "Bow down to the King!" song. His other Motorhead intro song is great too, "it's all about the game, and how you play it, it's all about control and if you can take it!"

And while I'm mentioning the game, DX intros for him and its other members were always awesome. Break it down!!!!

Randy Orton
I just love the whole "I hear voices in my head, they talk to me, they understand". Makes him seem like a psycho LOL

Morrison
I just love when the announcers comment on the slow mo effect. Good for a laugh when you hear Lawler or someone saying, "how does he do that?" :lol:

Melina and Stacy Kiebler
Um yeah, anyone who has seen them knows what I'm talking about. Let's just say I love how they enter the ring
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
User avatar
the King
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1027
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:22 pm
Location: Hockeytown, USA

Re: Wrestling Fans?

by the King Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:41 pm

BurningDoom wrote:So what a lot of the guys were from WWF. A lot of WWF guys at the time were from WCW. That's just the way the wrestling industry works, it's still that way between TNA & WWE. Wrestlers just go back and forth.

As for being a one trick pony, well I have to disagree there, as well. nWo is indeed what most people remember WCW for, but there's far more they've done that still has a lasting legacy today:

-Goldberg. Need I explain more?

-The Cruiserweight Division. Back in the 90s, WWF was all about big men. WCW got some of the best high-flyers, luchadors, and Japanese wrestlers who implemented martial arts into their style and created the fast-paced, high-action Cruiserweight Division. This was the daddy to TNA's X-Division. This is where you get your guys like Rey Mysterio, Chris Jericho, Eddie Guerrero, and others. Without WCW's Cruiserweight Division they probably never would have gotten as big as their careers got.

-Innovative matches like War Games and Three Levels of Hell.

-Ric Flair. His best years, without a doubt, were in WCW. The only name bigger than Ric Flair in wrestling is Hulk Hogan.

-The 4-Horsemen. The most important faction of all-time. Without the 4-Horsemen, we may never have had the nWo, Degeneration-X, or Nexus, or anything like that. They were the blueprint of a good faction.

-Starrcade. Despite what Vince McMahon may like to tell you, Wrestlemania WAS NOT the first PPV in wrestling nor was it first successful PPV. Starrcade was. Starrcade pre-dates Wrestlemania by 2 years debuting in 1983 and had ran every subsequent year since in WCW. That's why it's called "The Grandaddy of Em All!"

-Tag-Team wrestling. WWE was messing with comedy tag-teams like Earthquake & Hurricane, The Headbangers, The Doinks, The Bushwhackers, The Nasty Boys, and other ridiculous teams. While WCW had quality tag teams that put on a good match like The Outsiders, The Steiner Brothers, Harlem Heat, Sting & Lex Luger, The Four Horsemen, The Fabulous Freebirds, and other great teams.

-Main-Event action. Okay, WWF definetly had this one too. Let's just say both wrestling organizations could put on a great main-event match. I mean look at all the legends that WCW had to work with: Ric Flair, Arn Anderson, Sting, Lex Luger, Vader, Hulk Hogan, Macho Man Randy Savage, Goldberg, Diamond Dallas Page, Jeff Jarrett, Bret Hart, Rowdy Roddy Piper, The Giant, Kevin Nash, Scott Steiner, Dusty Rhodes.

-Bobby The Brain Heenan. I can't emphasize enough how much I loved his color commentary. The guy is pure comedy gold.


The point is that WCW had a larger bankroll and could buy the top stars the WWF created and made. Hogan, Savage, Jarrett, Bret Hart, Piper, Nash, Hall, Bobby the Brain Heenan all had their best years and made their name in the WWF. So, you can't say WCW was better because they had Bobby the Brain Heenan when the WWF had him first. The majority of the legends you listed became legends because of their work in the WWF, not the WCW. And yes TNA is pretty much all ex-WWF wrestlers as well, except for now they are WWF cast offs. At least the ones they seem to be pushing when they should be pushing more of their young talent.

The NWO angle is what put them over the top. Before that they were competing with the WWF, but it wasn't until the NWO that they finally beat the WWF. Then after that they went back to number 2 and eventually folded.

Starrcade was started by the NWA and Jim Crockett Promotions, not WCW and I'd say Ric Flair had his best years in the NWA. I'ds say the same thing for guys like Arn Anderson and Dusty Rhodes. I'd also say the 4 Horsemen should be credited to the NWA, unless you are talking about that abomination with Mongo McMichael in it.

War Games and the Three Levels of Hell are stupid. So is the Elimination chamber.

Goldberg was beyond stupid.
Last edited by the King on Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
User avatar
sevin0seven
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 8923
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 12:18 pm
Location: Bay Area, CA

Re: The Wrestling Thread

by sevin0seven Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:42 pm

Gamerforlife wrote:Melina and Stacy Kiebler
Um yeah, anyone who has seen them knows what I'm talking about. Let's just say I love how they enter the ring


Stacy wins it for me. :mrgreen:
Visit my store: sevin0seven Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
User avatar
the King
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1027
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:22 pm
Location: Hockeytown, USA

Re: The Wrestling Thread

by the King Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:44 pm

sevin0seven wrote:^hopefully WWE will honor WCW in this year's Wresltemania in Atlanta. so what's your favorite wrestler's intro? the intros i enjoyed the most was The Rock, Bret Hart, Scott Hall and Goldberg....I guess Hulk Hogan too (back in the WWF 90s).


Hogan's real American is classic. My favorite has to be Shawn Michaels though. Doesn't get any better than a wrestler actually singing their own theme song. Ted Dibiase's is pretty sweet too.
GigaPepsiMan
64-bit
 
Posts: 375
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:52 pm

Re: The Wrestling Thread

by GigaPepsiMan Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:22 pm

Never saw this.
Uk got it bad with wrestling at the moment, since the wrestlign channle got cancelled a few years back you can no longer watch ROH or any Japanese wrestling on Uk TV. The channel that TNA was on recently folded so that has to be watched online and the channel that WWE is on has to be paid for.

Anyway I have been backing TNA for agwes but it really has gotten bad. Like TNA got me big on wrestling again and I loved the 6 sided ring and the ultimate x and seeing sting again for the first time in years and then what happens, Jim Cornette walks and TNA bring in Vince Russo, Eric Bishoff and Hulk Hogan and it has just gotten bad, just plain bad. The Tv shows I can bare, sometimes they are decent but the PPV events are just horrible now. Bound for Glory was horrible and I never though you could sink lower but Genisis did just that by having AJ Styles pull out and then have Matt and Jeff Hardy Wrestle when they are not on the card, if you don't tell people who is wrestling they won't want to pay for thwe PPV (I don't pay anyway cos TNA is free over here).

Anyway I wouldn't be so hard on TNA but I went out and bought the old DVD's and the drop in quality over is almost depressing. Like WTF happened, besides a select few the TNA roster seems worse than it used to. I don't mean to hate on RVD and Jeff Hardy (well I do with him cos he's a dick) but compared to some of the old X-Division wrestlers they just look so boring now. Jeff Hardy is really guilty of not beng fun to watch anymore.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests