Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Re: The Wrestling Thread

by RCBH928 Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:58 am

Droid party wrote:
Reprise wrote:The whole Sami/Bloodline storyline, as well as how that is being interwoven with Cody's story, is so good.

Ditto, I had gone off wrestling the last year because I was tired of the same Roman story line of people challengiing him but just falling short. It was just so dull them repeating the same thing every ppv. I watched the rumble (the first thing I've watched for a year) and was drawn back in. If Sami takes this I will be cheering in my living room. I had chills watching Cody's promo with Paul last week and butterflies watching him and Sami this week. It's the best I've seen in years.

a huge reason am no longer a wrestling fan is repetition. There is a lot of rinse and repeat and acting super excited like something huge is hapening but WWE made $1B+ last year and millions still tune in to watch weekly, so Vince probably knows something I dont
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

by Raging Justice Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:02 am

I don't know how the Sami vs Roman match is going to end, but I will say this, the Bloodline storyline was the greatest story in wrestling...until they ruined it by injecting Cody into it. Cody, who was never part of this story at all, then just gets shoehorned into it right at the last minute?

That's bad writing, especially if he is the one to dethrone Roman
marurun

by marurun Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:43 am

Maybe they stuck Cody in the story so they could introduce Guy and Haggar before kidnapping Cody’s girlfriend.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

by Raging Justice Sun Apr 30, 2023 4:55 am

So Stardom recently put on its biggest show ever, and one of, it not THE best pay per views of the year. All Star Grand Queendom. The show got an English broadcast and featured one of the most popular and well known women in WWE in the co main event, as Sasha Banks (now known as Mercedes Mone) seems to have left WWE behind and is now fully committed to wrestling in Japan. Hopefully, she brought more eyes to the show and to the promotion.

The show was full of great matches, all of the championships being on the line, and historic moments. If you have any interest in women's wrestling, or just good wrestling period, it's worth checking out. I couldn't help but love it, in addition to being a great show, a lot of my favorites won their matches. So I may have some bias LOL

One thing that's interesting about Stardom is there is very little shenanigans. You don't see constant cheating, interference, run ins, referees being distracted, post match beat downs, etc. It's just ladies getting into the ring and beating the crap out of each other until someone gets pinned or taps out, and often the opponents will even show each other respect after the match

Reprise
Next-Gen

by Reprise Sun May 07, 2023 8:53 am

Raging Justice wrote:So Stardom recently put on its biggest show ever, and one of, it not THE best pay per views of the year. All Star Grand Queendom. The show got an English broadcast

I need to watch this!
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

by Raging Justice Tue May 09, 2023 5:19 am

Reprise wrote:
Raging Justice wrote:So Stardom recently put on its biggest show ever, and one of, it not THE best pay per views of the year. All Star Grand Queendom. The show got an English broadcast

I need to watch this!

The English broadcast is totally worth it...unless you're fluent in Japanese. One of the matches paid off an excellent story line months in the making and I think anyone watching without the benefit of the English commentary would miss out on the awesome storytelling within that match. That's not to say we didn't have some great story telling in the other matches too, but one in particular stood out to me. People often focus on the great match quality with Japanese wrestling, but we get great stories sometimes too.

It was surreal seeing one of the FOUR HORSEWOMEN of WWE there in Sasha, defending a NEW JAPAN PRO WRESTLING TITLE, on a STARDOM show. I feel like we're on some alternate timeline. It was also funny hearing the commentary team bring up that Sasha is a Star Wars character from The Mandalorian LOL. This girl has quite the resume. I should probably also note that Kairi Sane was on this show too...she's also pretty familiar to WWE fans. Her returning to Japan from WWE has been pretty awesome too.

These were all the matches in full:

Reprise
Next-Gen

by Reprise Wed May 10, 2023 3:30 pm

Raging Justice wrote:
Reprise wrote:

I need to watch this!

The English broadcast is totally worth it...unless you're fluent in Japanese. One of the matches paid off an excellent story line months in the making and I think anyone watching without the benefit of the English commentary would miss out on the awesome storytelling within that match. That's not to say we didn't have some great story telling in the other matches too, but one in particular stood out to me. People often focus on the great match quality with Japanese wrestling, but we get great stories sometimes too.

How do I legally buy it? Can I? Or did I have to pay to watch it live and/or for a limited time?

I found this link, but I can't see how I go about watching it https://pia-live.jp/perf/2314449-002?lang=en
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

Raging Justice
Next-Gen

by Raging Justice Sun May 21, 2023 11:07 pm

Reprise wrote:
How do I legally buy it? Can I? Or did I have to pay to watch it live and/or for a limited time?

I found this link, but I can't see how I go about watching it https://pia-live.jp/perf/2314449-002?lang=en

Sorry for the late response,

I'd say try Stardom World. A lot of their events end up there, and they often will have English subtitles for post match promos and stuff. They have the English broadcast for All Star Grand Queendom on there. Here's a link:

https://www.stardom-world.com/set/4641
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

by Raging Justice Mon May 22, 2023 6:04 pm

Wow! Another awesome, English friendly, Japanese wrestling show last night in the form of NJPW Resurgence! This show represented the company's NJPW Strong brand, which seems to be primarily aimed at growing the brand within the US. It featured some great American talents like Jon Moxley, plenty of Japan's top stars like Kazuchika Okada, and was also historic as they unveiled a new women's title (so this would be the second one for the NJPW brand) and had a tournament for it, which consisted of 2 matches and then the final in the show's main event. Overall, a strong show with plenty of great matches.

The tournament was the main focus of the show and first 2 matches were really good and featured talent from CMLL and Stardom giving us a nice taste of both lucha libre style wrestling and Japanese wrestling. The main event, tournament final fell a bit short of my expectations (though the crowd was super hyped for it), but one of the girls got injured so it's understandable.

I find myself really digging Japanese wrestling again right now, and it's fun seeing the growth of women's wrestling over there as well.

Also, I am finding AEW enjoyable again even though I still feel like the company isn't quite what it used to be, and I am actually looking forward to seeing what they will have cooked up for their eventual Japan focused show in Forbidden Door 2. AEW seems to be moving in a good direction again, though rumors of them bringing back the cancer that is CM Punk have me a bit concerned.
Reprise
Next-Gen

by Reprise Mon May 29, 2023 2:52 pm

CM Punk is a phenomenal wrestler and gave the company one of their greatest matches and feuds (Revolution 2022). I'd be pleased to see him back. Don't really care what the EVPs or other anti-CM Punk whingebags in AEW, who are just worried about their spots and don't like taking advice, think.

Speaking of AEW, Double or Nothing was a bit of a dud. In their defence, part of the issue was the Las Vegas crowd were fucking dead. What was wrong with them? The 4 Pillars Fatal Four Way was INCREDIBLE though and the Anarchy in the Arena match was also a ton of fun. The Battle Royal was fun too and I love Orange Cassidy. Everything else was a bit meh really. Lots of interference and overbooking. AEW did set the bar really high with their previous PPVs though. The odd not-so-great PPV isn't really a huge deal. WWE have tons of them...

Return to Off-Topic / Whatever