The Wrestling Thread

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
TSTR
Next-Gen

Re: The Wrestling Thread

Post by TSTR »

Honestly, the smaller WWE shows have been more entertaining for me in recent times than the main two. The writing and direction of Raw and Smackdown constantly leave a lot to be desired. I find NXT to be compelling more often than not, and 205 has been pretty great (if just at least from a pure wrestling standpoint) since the reboot/start of the Cruiserweight title tourney. It just sucks because I am a big fan of a lot of the guys on the main roster, but they rarely seem to do the things with them I'd like to see.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

I honestly had no idea 205 existed. I don't have the network & the podcast I listen to that have wrestling topics aren't dedicated wrestling shows so they've never brought it up. Appreciate the tip. Multiple people have told me to watch NXT though.

So, can you guys help me out with the ROH viewing methods and terminology...

Looks like here you can watch all of the past TV airings but you need to be a member ($10 per month). Then here you can watch the most recent episode for free. How many days after do they post that?

How exactly does the live streaming work these days? Assuming you need to be a member for anything listed as "Live Event" such as Supercard tonight and anything listed as "TV" streams for free live on the site. PPV is a standlone $35 cost. That all correct?

I did DLed the Fite app on Ruko but haven't tried it. What's the best way to utilize that?

Thanks! I've always been a sucker for the under-dog... tempted to give this a shot. Also much more manageable at 2.5-3 hours a week versus 6.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

Post by JoeAwesome »

Jagosaurus wrote:I honestly had no idea 205 existed. I don't have the network & the podcast I listen to that have wrestling topics aren't dedicated wrestling shows so they've never brought it up. Appreciate the tip. Multiple people have told me to watch NXT though.

So, can you guys help me out with the ROH viewing methods and terminology...

Looks like here you can watch all of the past TV airings but you need to be a member ($10 per month). Then here you can watch the most recent episode for free. How many days after do they post that?

Each new episode is good for a week, but I can't recall when the change episodes (Tuesdays?)

Jagosaurus wrote:How exactly does the live streaming work these days? Assuming you need to be a member for anything listed as "Live Event" such as Supercard tonight and anything listed as "TV" streams for free live on the site. PPV is a standlone $35 cost. That all correct?

Non-members pay between $20-$35 for an iPPV (internet pay-per-view), but if you're a paying member ($10 a month/$100 a year), you get the archives and half off of live iPPVs.

Jagosaurus wrote:I did DLed the Fite app on Ruko but haven't tried it. What's the best way to utilize that?

Create a login, and search for ROH. The free weekly episode should be on there, and the ability to purchase iPPVs should be there, too.

There should also be pirated streams if you decide to go that route, but I'm not knowledgeable on that.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Makes sense. Awesome. I will check out the free episodes on the app to start out and get a feel for it. Been probably 2 years since I last watched any ROH.

JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

Post by JoeAwesome »

Jagosaurus wrote:Makes sense. Awesome. I will check out the free episodes on the app to start out and get a feel for it. Been probably 2 years since I last watched any ROH.

The TV episodes aren't usually the best examples of the product, with maybe 1 very good match out of 3 or 4, but if you temper expectations accordingly, you'll start seeing who's the better wrestlers and why after a month or so. At least the hour long investment a week isn't a chore, though.

P.S. Jag, I know you asked me about the WM weekend, but brother, it'd take all day even to narrow down the highlights. I probably saw 24 hours of live/streaming wrestling between Friday and Tuesday, not to mention enjoying the city itself :lol:
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

Al Snow now owns OVW. Pretty nuts.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Joe, you ever watched any of Booker T's ROW live? Looks like they tape once a month on the south side of town for Fite & YouTube.

JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

Post by JoeAwesome »

Jagosaurus wrote:Joe, you ever watched any of Booker T's ROW live? Looks like they tape once a month on the south side of town for Fite & YouTube.

Live? No. But I've seen the product once or twice on TV when in town. There's a good up and comer, Terrale Tempo, who's known in the state, but it's a bit (figuratively) hard to watch local independents. I don't feel as invested, and it's harder for them to win me over if they're "green."
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

What do you guys think of ROH selling 10K seats?

First time for a US promotion outside of WWE since WCW. I went to a WCW Thunder tapping with a sold out crowd of roughly 6500 and it was pretty lit. 10k dedicated fans is no joke.

I'd love to see them consistently bringing 5k to 10k shows in. Do you think it could get there? Sounds like Rhodes & YBs have no intention of leaving. Impact slumping... bad... and the lead ROH guys not wanting to use the promo as a stepping stone might be just the push they need.

I don't think post internet 2.0, social media, and 100% kayfabe commitments by wrestlers will we ever see something reach WCW competition status... but I can get behind an underdog. The PG WWE just doesn't interest me.

marurun

Post by marurun »

You guys need to listen to the World Wide Wresting episodes of the One Shot Podcast. Improvisers and a wrestler all playing a tabletop RPG about pro wrestling.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.