The Wrestling Thread

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

Re: The Wrestling Thread

Post by JoeAwesome »

Jagosaurus wrote:What do you guys think of ROH selling 10K seats?

First time for a US promotion outside of WWE since WCW. I went to a WCW Thunder tapping with a sold out crowd of roughly 6500 and it was pretty lit. 10k dedicated fans is no joke.

I'd love to see them consistently bringing 5k to 10k shows in. Do you think it could get there? Sounds like Rhodes & YBs have no intention of leaving. Impact slumping... bad... and the lead ROH guys not wanting to use the promo as a stepping stone might be just the push they need.

I don't think post internet 2.0, social media, and 100% kayfabe commitments by wrestlers will we ever see something reach WCW competition status... but I can get behind an underdog. The PG WWE just doesn't interest me.

Although there are ROH talent on the show, it's not a ROH show. It's actually something created by the Young Bucks and Cody, solely, as an independent event to see if they could make it happen with 10k in the audience.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Thanks for pointing that out. The article I'd read did a poor job of making the distinction.

I just saw a quote from Cody that they are working on ways to watch this online. Hopefully they figure that out. I might just buy it on principle.

Does the fact it's outside ROH make it even more notable?

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

Post by JoeAwesome »

Jagosaurus wrote:Thanks for pointing that out. The article I'd read did a poor job of making the distinction.

I just saw a quote from Cody that they are working on ways to watch this online. Hopefully they figure that out. I might just buy it on principle.

Does the fact it's outside ROH make it even more notable?

In the surface, yes, because it's an independent event that's never had 10k in the seats before. ROH themselves haven't had 10k in any of their shows, by comparison (I think their highest was 8.5k at Supercard last year), and they've been around for 15+ years. Not since TNA in their heyday has a US wrestling show ever competed with WWE in such numbers.

The flip side of it is people question who's financially backing them up, Cody and the Bucks, or Billy Corgan and others? Is it truly "independent" when you have such high talent as Okada from New Japan participating? Does the fact it's currently a one-shot deal mean anything about its viability for sustainability?

Almost all of that is hard to answer, but (not a naysayer) I'm glad to see it get pulled off, and hope it means something can compete with WWE in the near future.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

So Madison Square Garden for All In 2? Looks like it may be.

... Vince has to be boiling.

Looks like it sits roughly 20k. That is less than I thought. Have nice showing this round, include some decent surprise, & I think you'll sell out MSG.

Back to this All In... NWA title up (way to go Billy Corgan!) and also Impact to some degree will be there. I'm calling CM Punk makes an appearance for a promo. Is Chris Jericho a possibility? Now confirmed we have roster members from ROH, NJPW, NWA, & Impact.

Love seeing this get hype. Hopefully they lean on ROH infrastructure to get an iPPV going. I'd buy it.

Joe, any news on that front?

Only think I can think of is contract issues. This isn't a named promotion that would be allowed in their agreements for TV time. Have those attorneys draft an addendum!

If you had all these promotions come together 6 times a year... you could sell out good size shows and make a killing on iPPV buys. You need a way to distribute it online. Keep them spread out enough to get folks flying in & road tripping. Almost like territories coming back, but linked by the internet and worldwide fans. Cool concept.

Can we also talk about WWE seriously, not a work, trying to get nominated for Emmy Awards :?. Can we have some semblance of kayfabe. That blows my mind. They seem so out of touch. Am I the only one this bugs? Maybe I'm stuck in 15 years ago...

JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

Post by JoeAwesome »

I haven't read anything definitive about an iPPV, but it's expected to recorded in some way. Most of these wrestlers have contracts on what kinds of "televised" appearances they can appear in, so that definitely throws a wrench in that.

Also, there's an uncertainty about the viability of an event like this on a regular basis, or even on iPPVs. The mystique of this (supposedly) being a huge one-off you can only see in person probably motivated ticket sales just as much as the wrestlers, themselves.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

RIP Vader
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

My dad and I loved Vader in WCW. I had no idea he was such a big star in Japan.

I watched a few of his matches this week. He was as good as I remember. 400lb moonsault off the top rope!

Cody Rhodes did confirm there will be a way to watch All In. Happy to hear that. I need to vote with my wallet to support it. I think if they did this "super indie cross over event" maybe 6 times a year or so, it's sustainable.

As an update, it was Sinclair (ROH parent company) who had booked MSG. WWE blocked it and the date was canceled. Sinclair stated they're making an effort to book bigger venues. This could get interesting. They have to be seeing the success of AAA. NJPW, All In, and this grass roots type movement.

Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Any one ordering All In?

Looks like $40 via Fite App for iPPV.

JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

Post by JoeAwesome »

Jagosaurus wrote:Any one ordering All In?

Looks like $40 via Fite App for iPPV.

Free (so I'm told) if you have Honor Club, which is cheaper.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Okay.... no AEW hype? Does Kenny Omega sign next?

Love that a TV deal with TBS/TNT is rumored... a Tuesday night name was trademarked.

Okay... need to go back & watch All In & probably Supercard of Honor XII. What's the best way to do this?

Is there enough room for ROH, NJPW, AAA, Impact, & AEW? I think AEW has the money & vision behind them. AAA has Mexico. ROH & NJPW have a good thing going together. Let's not forget the did sell out MSG. Rumors of a TV deal in talks for ROH as well with the Sinclairs driving it.

This might be the final nail in the coffin for TNA/Impact. Just read they're moving to The Pursuit Channel... no idea what that is. I actual got both Destination America & POP on lower tier services.

Lots of possibilities. With the internet, smart phones, social media, & just more on TV these days I don't think anything will ever reach the Monday Night Wars. Wrestling was a mainstay in the popular eye for a good 5 years. BUT AEW, along with the others, could change the game..