The Wrestling Thread

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

Re: The Wrestling Thread

Post by JoeAwesome »

Jagosaurus wrote:(last two posts)

Watch Lucha Underground. Seriously. The first two seasons are on Netflix, and the third season starts this month.

ROH is pretty good, but sometimes the TV shows are filler until the PPV. If you're interested, it comes on locally in Houston on channel 39.3 (Comet) on Wednesday nights (I think 11pm?). I don't have cable in Houston, so I'm tempted to a DVR for OTA television, but the current episode is always online for a week.

Watch Impact for the lulz. There's some good wrestling some times, but I forward through a lot of it each week.

If you like the old stuff, me and a few others are watching ECW from the beginning on the NG forum (when it was Eastern Championship Wrestling), but it's not gaining too much traction, yet. Personally, it's because Eastern wasn't memorable for the most part, but it should pick up shortly as more familiar wrestlers and the Extreme turn come to pass.

Of course, if you're not on NG, you could still watch ECW and WCW on the WWE Network. My wife got it, and I'm amazed at how much we're watching. She likes the exclusive shows, and I like the old Rasslin', and we watch the PPVs together. Not paired with a Roku or some other streaming device, and definitely worth the trial at least.

Haven't gotten into NXT consistently, yet, but that'll change this weekend with Takeover. It's a good show from all reports, though. No idea on WCPW, sorry.

If you really want to watch great local(-ish) place to watch wrestling, Wrestle Circus is the best in the state. Located in Austin, they've been at it for a little over half a year, and have brought in consistently big name indy wrestlers worth checking out. If you can't make the shows, they have iPPVs that are cheap, and even a free streaming promo to watch the last few shows (check their twitter). I've been to two shows, and I highly, highly recommend going.

Text me for more details, especially for the Network and Wrestle Circus.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

All good info Joe. Didn't know Lucha was on Netflix. I'm tempted to fire up the WWE network to watch WWF & WCW from roughly '93 to '99. That would hit the nostalgia strings hard.

Like I mentioned, a lot of my WWF knowledge was from being over at my uncle's and the Saturday morning recap show. I'd be experiencing many of the full WWF shows as a first. We were a WCW house. It'd be really interesting once all the jumping to WCW starts in '96 or so. Would be fun to watch them both simultaneously, week for week.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

Post by JoeAwesome »

Jagosaurus wrote:All good info Joe. Didn't know Lucha was on Netflix. I'm tempted to fire up the WWE network to watch WWF & WCW from roughly '93 to '99. That would hit the nostalgia strings hard.

Like I mentioned, a lot of my WWF knowledge was from being over at my uncle's and the Saturday morning recap show. I'd be experiencing many of the full WWF shows as a first. We were a WCW house. It'd be really interesting once all the jumping to WCW starts in '96 or so. Would be fun to watch them both simultaneously, week for week.

It's quite possible to do that, and a few people do. Try the trial for WWE network. Supposedly you could get a free trial every month if you switch the e-mail address, but I wouldn't know for sure.

And go to a Wrestle Circus show in Austin, or at least check them out online. It's that good.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Just got into Pluto TV which is a free streaming TV app. Well, the Fight network has a stream on there... also a TNA "channel" showing matches 24/7. I've tuned in twice and got to watch some PPV matches from 2003 and 2009. Pretty cool to have access to this for free. Working with Eric Young & Kevin Nash in the background right now.

TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

^If you ever see a Kurt Angle match pop up on that channel, watch it. Dude had some amazing matches when he was down there despite being waxed out of his gourd on pills and shit.

ALSO--it's Mania weekend. Anyone watching it or one of the myriad other things going down this Saturday/Sunday?
JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

Post by JoeAwesome »

TSTR wrote:^If you ever see a Kurt Angle match pop up on that channel, watch it. Dude had some amazing matches when he was down there despite being waxed out of his gourd on pills and shit.

ALSO--it's Mania weekend. Anyone watching it or one of the myriad other things going down this Saturday/Sunday?

Definitely. I have tickets to Supercard of Honor on Saturday, and WM on Sunday. My wife is starting to regret getting Supercard tickets over NXT, though. :x
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

Hell yeah! Hope y'all have a good time. NXT or Supercard is a tough call, but I'd think the Cody-Omega match will be totally worth it. Plus a ladder match with the Bucks involved would be really cool to see live.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

That is Cody Rhodes, right? ... just can't use the name. Speaking of, saw something about how the Bullet Club guys got a C&D letter from WWE on using the "too sweet" nwo hand gesture... that's right WWE has copyrighted your hands :lol:

@Joe, one of your older comments mentioned Comet OTA channel for ROH. Comet also has a free app (I have it on Roku) that taps into their live stream if you don't feel like messing with an antenna and just want to easily watch on a TV.

Not sure if ROH airs live on the site or post next day, etc. I know I've watched it a few times on my laptop but can't recall if it was as it being streamed or anot archive.

Enjoy the shows! Eat a shrimp po-boy for me.

JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

Post by JoeAwesome »

TSTR wrote:Hell yeah! Hope y'all have a good time. NXT or Supercard is a tough call, but I'd think the Cody-Omega match will be totally worth it. Plus a ladder match with the Bucks involved would be really cool to see live.

I thought so, too, but the ladder match for the NXT NA title is very tempting, as well. I also wanted to see wrestlers I haven't seen live, so I went with ROH well before the NXT card was settled.

Jagosaurus wrote:That is Cody Rhodes, right? ... just can't use the name. Speaking of, saw something about how the Bullet Club guys got a C&D letter from WWE on using the "too sweet" nwo hand gesture... that's right WWE has copyrighted your hands :lol:

@Joe, one of your older comments mentioned Comet OTA channel for ROH. Comet also has a free app (I have it on Roku) that taps into their live stream if you don't feel like messing with an antenna and just want to easily watch on a TV.

Not sure if ROH airs live on the site or post next day, etc. I know I've watched it a few times on my laptop but can't recall if it was as it being streamed or anot archive.

Enjoy the shows! Eat a shrimp po-boy for me.

Yep, he can't use "Rhodes," so he goes by Cody, Cody R, or Cody and Brandi Rhodes :lol:

My wife actually owns the Cease and Desist shirt the YB put out, Jago:

COMET stopped carrying ROH awhile back, but it's on CHARGE! (unsure the channel number), so you can watch it there live, or the FITE TV app, if not from the ROH website. The FITE TV app steams works great on my phone to my XB1 by casting it.

I'll be sure to have several po-boys, likely of all varieties! :lol: The weather is going to be terrible on Saturday, though. We'll see how much time I can get at the French Quarter for coffee/beignets/seafood/tomfoolery.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

For NOLA... I think the Oyster Bar & Grill we usually go to is Acme. Of course, Bourbon House Seafood & Cafe Du Monde are mainstays. I actually like this little gas station dive joint in Lafayette on the way out there for po boys. One of my friend's moms would meet us at the University exit to bring us their food to go :lol:

That shirt is awesome. I love how ROH seems to be gathering a larger cult (oxymoron) following. Just hate how all the standouts will jump for the money. They're all trying to get to NXT unless they're already pissed at WWE and making the ROH/TNA/Lucha/NJPW rounds. Can't blame them but at least in our hayday WCW & ECW could keep some talent and foster some real competition... until they folded 8). Today it seems like a minor league system (often with great talent just like the MLB minors) Vince doesn't have to pay for while ultimately benefiting in the end. I wish that would shift... seems like it may be on the cusp. Fans getting bored and the Internet has increased viewing access to these smaller outfits at lower overhead. Yalls thoughts on that?

I just can't really get into the WWE product. I've tried. It has spurts of fun, but it's seriously maybe 10% of the 6 hours aired a week. I find myself enjoying 3rd party recap videos more than the show. I think it all comes down to going public and being worried about what stock holders/big investors think. They're so worried about image and not upsetting anyone that it creates a cookie cutter product. That's OK if you're making random widgets, but you run a company that puts on friggin' fighting simulations! There has to more aggression, balls, & heart. It took me a long time to wrap my head around the concept of why I don't really like it... but I think that's the lead contributor along with no real money backed ratings competition. You'll hear them say it's for families... but I disagree. They were moving a ton of WWF toys/merch and selling out arenas when the product was racey. All comes back to stocks and appeasing todays PC society which comprises their investors.