Well Lookie there, a Hypothetical Poll From Yours Truly.

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean

Cash in Hand, or Donate to a Cause?

I'll take 25% off thank you.
82%
I'll pay full retail if the company donates 25% of the proceeds.
18%

Total votes: 39

gtmtnbiker
Next-Gen

Re: Well Lookie there, a Hypothetical Poll From Yours Truly.

Post by gtmtnbiker »

As others have said, I would take the 25% discount because I do itemized deductions and would want to put it on my tax return with the other charitable deductions that I list.
saturnfan
128-bit

Post by saturnfan »

J T wrote:I think there might be some magic percentage number where people will pick donation instead of keeping it for themselves. If it's 25%, that's too good of a deal to pass up for yourself. However, if it's more around 5%, then I might go for donation. If you want to make more for charity, then you have to choose the sweet spot for the price reduction.

You could also tell people they have one of two options: 5% cash back to them, or 10% for charity. That would make me feel like a real jerk for not only taking my 5% away from the charity, but also denying them the opportunity for the other 5%.

I am down with this, 25% off is a lot for a brand new video game. If it was 5% I would probably donate and the charity would ultimately get more donations.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

It really depends on my money situation. I tend to look for bargains out of necessity, but those times when I'm doing really well moneywise I tend to be rather generous.

Also, while I am always happy to give money to a good cause, it isn't something that usually crosses my mind. So unlike what others have said, I'd be less likely to give money to a charity at any other time so I'd probably just go ahead and pay full price for your site's games if I was doing good moneywise at the time of purchase
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

jp1 wrote:I chose discount because I don't trust big companies to actually send my money to the charities.

I hear you. When someone tells me that "proceeds go to a charity", I always ask what total percent.
Ack

Post by Ack »

25% is a big discount, and in this economy...

Anyway, I see a flaw with our responses, and that is that Luke hasn't said what the potential product or audience would be. Based on one of his earlier remarks, I don't think it's games. Now if this is an item worth several grand, then the people purchasing it might be willing to go for the charity, since it may contribute to lowering their tax bracket if claimed. It all depends on who he's trying to sell to.

As for me, right now? 25% off is pretty good, though if it's something like games from time to time I'd take the charity because I'll feel guilty if I don't.
Mod_Man_Extreme
Next-Gen

Post by Mod_Man_Extreme »

I'd take the 25% to be honest, my job's always circling the drain and it's nice to save a few.

That having been said Ack's got a good point. Depending on the type of product, charity/charities available, and the total cost of the item I could very likely opt for the full price and 25% to go to them.
My Consoles:
Genesis - Nomad - SegaCD - GameGear - Sega Saturn - Dreamcast - NES - SNES - N64 - Gamecube - Wii - Playstation - PSone & LCD - PS2 - PS3 - Xbox - 3DS

Niode wrote:Send him a dodgy cheque. Make it out to Scammy McScammerson.

Check out my sale thread below, NeoGeo MVS carts & Arcade gear wanted!:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11366
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

Ack wrote:25% is a big discount, and in this economy...

Anyway, I see a flaw with our responses, and that is that Luke hasn't said what the potential product or audience would be. Based on one of his earlier remarks, I don't think it's games. Now if this is an item worth several grand, then the people purchasing it might be willing to go for the charity, since it may contribute to lowering their tax bracket if claimed. It all depends on who he's trying to sell to.

As for me, right now? 25% off is pretty good, though if it's something like games from time to time I'd take the charity because I'll feel guilty if I don't.

Right, but I'm looking for knee-jerk responses, which the internet is great for. I'm taking that into consideration when thinking of my target demographic.

And yeah, it's not games. It's craft and hobby related (I've already said too much).
Limewater
Next-Gen

Post by Limewater »

I would take the 25% discount.

I am opposed to "buy this and we'll donate a portion of proceeds to charity" schemes for several reasons.

1. I have no guarantee that the money will be donated.
2. Usually the cause is the Susan G. Komen Foundation, which I believe to be exploitative.
3. I give money to causes I believe in. I'd rather take the tax deduction myself than give someone else a free tax write-off.

and the biggest

4. It's a marketing trick that pisses me off. There is NOTHING altruistic about buying stuff for yourself. It's just a marketing trick to give you warm fuzzies and make you feel like you're "doing good" by buying crap for yourself. If you want to do good, go out and really do something.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
Octopod
Next-Gen

Post by Octopod »

I voted for charity. If I have money to spend on video games then I most likely have money to help out.

I do agree with most of what Limewater said though.
yomomma1
128-bit

Post by yomomma1 »

If it is a Couple hundred dollar purchase+ 25% off.
I do donate 5 dollars if it asks me at the checkout
dammit.

Edit: I think though, if given the choice people would pick 25% off However, both should, hypothetically increase sales.