Official Racketboy Suggestion Forum Thread

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Niode
Next-Gen

Re: Official Racketboy Suggestion Forum Thread

Post by Niode »

I second DS' post. I think that the forums should be restructured in the way that he mentioned. I think I mentioned that I agreed with that in the last thread that we had this discussion.

Regarding a new moderator. I'm not sure we even need any more moderators. Can any mods say that they are overwhelmed with the amount of work that they have to put into keeping this forum tidy/regulated? I know I don't have a problem with it.
Marurun wrote:Don’t mind-shart your pants, guys
jfe2
Next-Gen

Post by jfe2 »

I think that at this point the community is probably ready for dedicated "Film/Television", "Music", and "Literature" sections. Enough of the stuff pops up in the "Whatever" category to warrant dedicated sections IMO.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

I had suggested a section explaining many different gaming terms, lingo and acronyms. Seemed like a few people here thought it was a good idea and we had even started compiling a list of lingo, acronyms, etc. within the the topic itself. I think this would be good either as an actual category on the site itself or maybe a sticky thread on the forums. Though I've noticed we don't actually have stickies here. I think it would be more useful as its own section on the site to help beginners though. Here's the thread:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=21666&hilit=lingo
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Gamerforlife wrote:I had suggested a section explaining many different gaming terms, lingo and acronyms. Seemed like a few people here thought it was a good idea and we had even started compiling a list of lingo, acronyms, etc. within the the topic itself. I think this would be good either as an actual category on the site itself or maybe a sticky thread on the forums. Though I've noticed we don't actually have stickies here. I think it would be more useful as its own section on the site to help beginners though. Here's the thread:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=21666&hilit=lingo

Or just courtesy especially when one is asking for help or even giving help. No one is impressed with using obscure acronyms so take the time to type it out. This is not Text Messaging.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

Most of these acronyms have existed for a very long time, things such as CIB and FPS have been around far longer than "text messaging".
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

AppleQueso wrote:Most of these acronyms have existed for a very long time, things such as CIB and FPS have been around far longer than "text messaging".

Not the common ones, such as FPS which everyone knows. CIB for example is not as widely known, I had to look that one up. One doesn't need to prove expertise or maybe showing lack of knowledge by covering with use of obscure acronyms. Its just not courteous to a lot of readers and members. As my dad would say "Another Wordsmith", that doesn't know context.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Niode
Next-Gen

Post by Niode »

There would be a lot more stickies around here if I could actually sticky threads. It just isn't in my toolset.
Marurun wrote:Don’t mind-shart your pants, guys
Octopod
Next-Gen

Post by Octopod »

I brought this up a while back but I figure I would try again in the official suggestion thread.

I think a "High Scores" forum would be pretty awesome. It does not even require much moderation since threads would be pretty much moderated/up kept by the thread starter. I know other web sites have successful high score forums but I think it would be nice to have one here.
slowslow325
Next-Gen

Post by slowslow325 »

CRTGAMER wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:Most of these acronyms have existed for a very long time, things such as CIB and FPS have been around far longer than "text messaging".

Not the common ones, such as FPS which everyone knows. CIB for example is not as widely known, I had to look that one up. One doesn't need to prove expertise or maybe showing lack of knowledge by covering with use of obscure acronyms. Its just not courteous to a lot of readers and members. As my dad would say "Another Wordsmith", that doesn't know context.

"CIB" is used very often, not just on this site, but on auction sites and other gaming sites. It's even on collecting sites of other types (i.e. not video games). I had to look it up, but it's used so often it should be known. Another reason for not typing it out is title length limits. If I just said "FS: Pacman World 2/PacMan Vs." it's not as descriptive as FS: CIB PacMan World 2/Pacman Vs." but I don't have room to type "FS: Complete in Box Pacman World 2/Pacman Vs."

Other ones that should be listed are:
FS
WTB
WTTF
RPG
FPS
CIB
Slabbed
2.5D
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

slowslow325 wrote:
CRTGAMER wrote:

"CIB" is used very often, not just on this site, but on auction sites and other gaming sites. It's even on collecting sites of other types (i.e. not video games). I had to look it up, but it's used so often it should be known. Another reason for not typing it out is title length limits. If I just said "FS: Pacman World 2/PacMan Vs." it's not as descriptive as FS: CIB PacMan World 2/Pacman Vs." but I don't have room to type "FS: Complete in Box Pacman World 2/Pacman Vs."

Other ones that should be listed are:
FS
WTB
WTTF
RPG
FPS
CIB
Slabbed
2.5D

Site is not a cellphone. Title can be short and concise but no reason to throw a bunch of acronyms in the post. The ones you listed are common but a wide variety of people in various countries read these forums. Here is CIB for example which is mainly known to collectors in the buy-sell-trade market.

WTF or WTH is WTTF and Slabbed? See WIM.

CIB ACRONYMS
Controlled Image Base
Combat Infantryman Badge
Combat Infantryman Badges
Command Information Bureau
Criminal Investigation Branch
Centralized Intercept Bureau
Change Implementation Board
Computer Integrated Business
Cosmic Infrared Background
Change Impact Board
Chartered Institute of Building
COBOL Information Bulletin
Combat Infantry Badge
combined information bureau
Compliance & Information Bureau
Compressed Image Base
Console Interface Board
Consolidation Infrastructure Blueprint
containment isolation B
Controlled Imagery Base
calcium and integrin binding protein
Candidate Information Bulletin
Canterbury Infantry Battalion
Capacity and Institution Building
Card Information Base
Carnation Instant Breakfast
Cartridge in box
Center for Information Biology
Center for International Business
Central Intelligence Board
centrifugal impeller bioreactor
Centro de Investigaciónes Basicas
Centro Interbibliotecario
Channel Interface Bus
Chartered Institute of Bankers
Chemical Information Bulletin
Class Information Block
Coffee Industry Board
Collective Intelligent Brick
Comabat Infantryman's Badge
Combat Infantryman's Badge
Command Input Buffer
Common Interactive Broadcast
Commonwealth Investigation Branch
Community Inquiry Bureau
Complaints Investigation Branch
Configuration Information Base
Construction Industry Board
Consumer Information Bureau
Consumer is Boss
Contract Information Bulletin
Control Interface Block
Controlled Image Based
Controller Image Base
Corporate and Institutional Banking
Corporate and Investment Banking
Counterfeiting Intelligence Bureau
CRC32 Identification Bit
Current Intelligence Briefing
Current Intelligence Bulletin
Customer Information Book
cytoplasmic inclusion bodies
Clinical Investigator's Brochure
Curriculum and Instruction Branch

Complete In Box.