Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
kenshin-dono
24-bit

Where do you guys buy your game bits?

by kenshin-dono Fri May 14, 2010 3:48 pm

Ive been a browser of this site for a while, and figured this would be a good place to ask since most people here probably have one

Where do you guys buy your gaming security bits? the 3.5 and 4.5mm ones for poping old cart games?

I'm getting quite pissed with these things. I got a 3.8 and 4.5mm security bit from nintnentorepairshop.com
http://www.nintendorepairshop.com/produ ... GA-Repair/

well they were garbage, the genesis one stripped out after less than a dozen carts and is useless, and the nintendo one stripped out too but i can still kinda use it. (btw dont trust that site, it seems they dont list negative reviews, they didn't post my review on it)

so i tried nintendorepairhut.com which was good when i got a NES controller and power adapter from them
http://www.nintendorepairhut.com/repair ... plies.html

they assured me by email that they used good quality bits. They arrived yesterday and the NES one seems mediocre quality, but the 4.5mm genesis bit was milled wrong and already looked rounded out >_<

grrr im getting very upset, i need to finish cleaning the last few dozen Genesis carts i have. Where can i get a QUALITY genesis cart bit?! 4.5mm is the right size right? I want a good hardened steel one, like you could get in a regular hardware store. I wish snap on made these things. Where can i find one? where did you guys get yours? I dont want to try buying another one randomly and getting garbage

i did find this with google:
http://www.newelectronx.com/proddetail. ... mm-gamebit

but dunno if thats any good. they claim they are hardened steel but they look a lot like the cheap nintendorepairshop ones. And I guess theres all kinda of different qualities of hardened steel

hopefully someone can help me out by pointing me in the right direction, i really want something thats going to work
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Re: Where do you guys buy your game bits?

by Hobie-wan Fri May 14, 2010 4:04 pm

Mine came from here.

http://electricquarter.com/tool-38mm-45 ... 0628ded0d3

I've had them for at least 6 years and opened tons of stuff with them. Good quality bits.
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Fri May 14, 2010 4:10 pm

I got mine from eBay. The 4.5mm one isn't bad, but I don't use it all that much. The 3.5mm works alright, but it is shit quality. The worst thing about it is that the mold is off center (which is the weirdest thing I've ever seen, being that is a tool and all). It didn't strip, but the part that goes in the screwdriver handle actually stripped. I ended up Gorilla gluing it to a magnetic extender and now it works fine (although it's still off center).
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
gtmtnbiker
Next-Gen

by gtmtnbiker Fri May 14, 2010 4:19 pm

There was a user who recently bought a kit of a bunch of bits including tri-wing & gamebit. I can't seem to find his post. Does anyone recall the post I'm referring to?
gtmtnbiker
Next-Gen

by gtmtnbiker Fri May 14, 2010 4:24 pm

I think this was the link that I was looking for. Found it in this thread
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Fri May 14, 2010 4:24 pm

Yeah, I forget what it was called though. There's a bunch of those kits on Amazon though (that's where all the links in that thread were from).

edit: Oh, I was thinking of a completely different thread.
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
Jrecee
Next-Gen

by Jrecee Fri May 14, 2010 6:46 pm

I typically buy all my bits from Sega since they are blast-processed.
Jerkface Killah
32-bit

by Jerkface Killah Fri May 14, 2010 6:57 pm

Jrecee wrote:I typically buy all my bits from Sega since they are blast-processed.

took me second to register. Amazing. Sega's bits do what nintendont.

Also, I got my bits from play-asia.com. They work fine but I don't know how long they'll last as I bought them for one specific purpose.

JFK
JFK
DaGamingMonkey
128-bit

by DaGamingMonkey Sat May 15, 2010 12:19 am

I picked up my tools from Think Geek
http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/tools/9e7d/

Works well, had the 360 tool as well which was a plus.
dedalusdedalus
Next-Gen

by dedalusdedalus Sat May 15, 2010 12:25 am

Just picked up a set of gamebits from Electric Quarter, as per the suggestions on this thread.

Excellent service and product, just as everyone who recommended EQ said.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever