PROTECT-IP Act E-PARASITE

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
ChuChu Flamingo
64-bit

PROTECT-IP Act E-PARASITE

Post by ChuChu Flamingo »

Just spreading the word, as if this bills gets passed we are in trouble.

http://hothardware.com/News/PROTECTIP%2 ... h%2DWorse/
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: PROTECT-IP Act E-PARASITE

Post by noiseredux »

I'm not sure I quite understand what this says.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Think of it like the Great Chinese firewall in the USA.

Pretty much the IP holders could push on their lobbiest to push on the Attorney General to have ISPs ban a site that is "inducing copyright infringement." Since inducing is such a broad term that could mean (in a completely hypothetical situation) that if the IP holders saw the download forum here, this site could be banned.
Inazuma
Next-Gen

Post by Inazuma »

They are always trying to pass laws like this. Thankfully all of them get shot down, but if we aren't careful, one of them may become law and then our internet freedom will be no more.

I write my congressmen constantly about this shit, usually a few times a month.

*edit*
http://demandprogress.org/

I highly recommend everyone check out this site and subscribe to their mailing list. They will help keep you informed about shit like this, and provide ways to help you contribute.

Also, consider donating money to them, if you can afford it.
Last edited by Inazuma on Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Inazuma wrote:I write my congressmen constantly about this shit, usually a few times a month.

I bet yr on a first name basis with yr congressman, huh? :lol:

but seriously, obviously this would be pretty bad. But it seems so impossible to me. I mean, the whole internet would be blocked.
Inazuma
Next-Gen

Post by Inazuma »

noiseredux wrote:
Inazuma wrote:I write my congressmen constantly about this shit, usually a few times a month.

I bet yr on a first name basis with yr congressman, huh? :lol:

but seriously, obviously this would be pretty bad. But it seems so impossible to me. I mean, the whole internet would be blocked.

But if no one does anything about it, it will become law. Someone has to stand up and oppose it.
Hatta
Next-Gen

Post by Hatta »

noiseredux wrote:but seriously, obviously this would be pretty bad. But it seems so impossible to me. I mean, the whole internet would be blocked.

That's largely the point. Pass unenforcable laws and you have discretion to enforce the laws against those who bother you.
We are prepared to live in the plain and die in the plain!
YoshiEgg25
Next-Gen

Post by YoshiEgg25 »

I posted about this in the Smile/Ticked thread.

If anyone has been keeping tabs on the entertainment industry, you'll see just how much of a problem IP has become. The laws that they push for, and consequently passed, not only can land a lot of people in lawsuits that shouldn't have to deal with this, but limit people's rights of free expression, whether in real life or on the internet.

The thing is, the internet is one of the last free realms of the world. Free speech is somehow more protected there than in the real world, and the entertainment industry has been killing it. YouTube and other music/video websites are already limited to what they can have on their sites, or how they can be put there.

For example, Listening Room, a startup music-sharing website where anyone can share their music, was forced to abide by U.S. radio laws, one being that you can't have more than four songs from the same artist play in a span of three hours. But that's ridiculous! Users are playing music for everyone to hear at the same time, yes. But is it internet radio? Not really. Contributors are worldwide instead of at one central location, and you can't truly single someone out for breaking these rules like you could a DJ.

The entertainment industry has been taking and taking and taking anything they can get Congress to give them, and will continue to do so.

Until we say "No more."
Gaming accomplishments:
Nibbler (marathon): 251,169,160 / Nibbler (one life): 5,263,360 (WR)
Donkey Kong: 423,100 [L12-1] (150th place as of 2019-01-15)
Super Smash Bros. (N64): Ranked top 5 in Wisconsin from Q1 2016 to Q2 2017
Shrek SuperSlam: won largest tournament in game's history (Shrekfest 2018)

Speedrun.com Profile (contains multiple WRs)
ChuChu Flamingo
64-bit

Post by ChuChu Flamingo »

I did not know you posted this YoshiEgg25, my bad.

Basically if you're not a company that makes profit, you can be hit with this cease and desist.

They want google to black list you off goggle searches

You will also have a felony, which means you will have a extremely hard time getting a job and other stuff. And this can be for any reason as the bill is ambiguous and can be manipulated to whatever someone sees fit.

They are trying to rush this through the house of representatives. The people voting/people who made up this bill do not understand how the internet works. A lot of people will go jobless because of this.