New Members: Introduce Yourself!

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
mikecox

Post by mikecox »

Hi everybody, I am from Perú, i have a saturn, dc, psx, snes, nes, gg, neogeo and a great collection of games, my work is all about electronic and computers, thanks racketboy, see ya!
mpozos

Post by mpozos »

Greetings, earthlings!

Pardon the crude introduction, but I was once classified as a "Resident Alien". I have gone through the Naturalization process, so I've gone Native. :D

Miguel be my name, of Mexican origin. I am now 27 years of age and am married. I have 3 kiddos, all boys, who share my love of all things beeping and flashing that eventually constitute a game of some sort.

Though I no longer own the Commodore64 on which I learned to program (BASIC) and play games (if y'all remember, the "pointing device" on a C64 was an Atari 2600 joystick, how cool was that?) I'd still enjoy the classics that I played on that system such as the "Zak McKraken and the Alien Mindbenders", "Master of Magic" and "Heart of Africa" (not so sure of the last title, I was under the age of 10 at the time).

In my present abode there is a NES, SNES, Genesis (1st Gen with 1st release Sega CD and 32X), Saturn, N64, PS2 and GC. I also have some portables like Game Gear, GBA SP, and Nintendo DS. (I'm so ego-centric, I include plats I've given to my kids as "gifts" so I could use them when they are in bed - Thank heavens for early bedtimes, mwa ha ha).

Anyhow, I have been granted a BS in Computer Science from the University of Texas at Austin for my hard work and mediocre grades over a period of 5 years, while married and employed part time. During my days at UT, I first became aware of emulators such as NESticle, GENs and best of all MAME.

I have a few ROMs for some platforms especially NES, SNES and Genesis but the experience isn't the same. I've recently delved into looking at the Saturn images but there isn't a whole lot out there. I think that is the best thing about a forum like this, where people get to know each other and help each other out based on similar interests.

Anyhow, will be glad to convene with anybody from this forum

Happy Returns,
MPozos
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Welcome aboard!
insomnia

Post by insomnia »

Well, now... how to present myself?

I'm your general geek, nineteen years of age, and I've been in love with 16-bit/fourth generation for as long as I can remember. Ever since I got my first console, the Sega Genesis, I've found the world of 2D gaming more appealing than what most publishers put out today (rehashes of previous titles with new names and updated engines). I've recently come to discover the 32-bit generation (I kinda stopped playing console games once the Genesis was out of the picture) and its wonders -- and while the need for technical advancement (in terms of graphics and engine development) on behalf of the development of content clearly affected this generation, there are still some goodies to draw on.

I'm also heavily into other tech-related areas of interest -- mainly computers (I'm an avid user of UNIX- and UNIX-like operating systems), but also radio transmission and various other things. Recently, I've been combining my interest in computers and retro console gaming in terms of writing some applications for various console platforms, mainly the Saturn (although nothing sophisticated at the moment).

At the moment, I own a Genesis (obviously), a Saturn, a Dreamcast and a PS2, but I'm working on expanding my collection. Recently I've been trying to pick up a Sega CD, but as there is hardly any retro-related equipment on sale locally and shipping rates for most articles on ebay are through the roof, I haven't had any success. I'm also contemplating the purchase of an Xbox to emulate some systems (though I prefer real hardware, it generates a more genuine feeling when playing).

I'm currently studying (no, duh) what would be my local equivalent of computer science. One year left to go 'til unemployment... well, hopefully I'll be able to find something, but it doesn't look well :/

Anyway, I hope I'll be able to contribute something of value to this community. :)
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

sounds like you fit right in here :)
1nick9

Post by 1nick9 »

hey all,
im wat most of u guys would call young but big on electronics n console hacking. got many systems including. snes, mega drive, ps1, 2600, game gear, psp, gb, ds, 360, xbox, gc, ps2, saturn lynx, gamegear hmmm i dunno probly left few out. oh n of course my fav console of all time. dreamcast!!! big collector of roms (got my fair share of complete sets). hmmm welll i dunno wat else could go here, oh im a true blue aussie heh.

personally i hav more fun fukin round with the consoles to get em to do stuff they wasnt designed for or just doin case mods, i do enjoy playin the games but i get bored with em fast (short attenson span.....). the mod im workin on atm is convertin teh bak of my 1st car (78 holden hz panel van) into a sorta small bed room (hehe yeh shaggin waggon :P ) but with few lcd screens n runnin an xbox with xbmc on it as my head unit, ive got almost all the parts i need but neeed some lcds n i can start on it (gotta find a new job 1st :( ) will hav to show off some pics once i get it complete.

cheers
carslayer
16-bit

Post by carslayer »

hi

Im Carter, and im 16

I've got an NES, SNES, SNES Mini (favorite), N64, Modchipped Gamecube, PSOne, PS2 with Hard Drive, PS2 Slim modded to use Swap disks, an Atari 2600 (that thing is addictive), a sega master system, i recently got a Genesis, a dreamcast (I LOVE IT), and i hope to get a saturn and Turbo DUO soon.

in handhelds ive got a psp, gameboy micro, sega Gamegear. I am trying to find a neo-geo pocket as well.

I enjoy retro gaming, such as earthbound or Pilotwings on the SNES and JGR or Shenmue on the dreamcast. i have playstantions just to play a couple titles, like the Grand Theft Auto series or sometimes Hitman or the Getaway, but other than that, i stick to the older consoles.

i guess the same can be said about me with music and movies. i usually don't go to see newer movies, and prefer to watch older ones. my favorites are Mad Max The Road Warrior, Apocalypse Now, Fear And Loathing in Las Vegas, A Clockwork Orange, Lost Highway, Reservoir Dogs, and so on. I listen to what m friends would class "classic rock" (led zeppelin, the who, CCR, the eagles, Pink Floyd, etc.) and absolutely HATE newer bands such as Green Day and shit.

i am definately not new to gaming, though i am younger than most of the people here. i can mod and repair consoles, and i used to have two xboxes (one broken , one new). so i fixed the broken one and modchipped the new one and sold them both after beating Halo on all difficulties, to make a nice profit. Also, my first playstation (the fat model) is actually two playstations. my dad bought my step-brother a ps2 as soon as it came out, and it got disc read errors. then, after buying another one, my dad tried to install a modchip and ruined the motherboard. so my dad bought my stepbrother a PS2 slim, and i got the leftovers. i then proceeded to combine them into a working PS@ and later equipped it with a hard drive.

anyways, thats me and all the crap i have at home. i think ill be on this fourm a lot in the future (i recently found this website, and i love the articles and comparisins) and so i think that in the future ill be talking here a lot

so see ya

(PS. I HATE EMULATORS)
Collin

Post by Collin »

I've been a gamer since I was a kid, with Atari 2600 at home and a small mom & pop arcade down the street. I'm 38 now, with two kids of my own – both of whom love gaming as much as I do. I finally bought a house and am in the process of putting together a decent gaming room like I've always wanted. I just stumbled across the site and forum today and I'm really enjoying it.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Glad to meet you!
Hope you enjoy your stay!
Rayek

Post by Rayek »

Hey, I'm here. I've been a subscriber for a very long time, and didn't know the forums existed!

Some might know me from these forums:

GP32x.com Forums
RetroGamer Forums
SegaHub
Sega-16 forums

etc.

I'm happy to contribute what I can!