Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
boogiepop

Re: New Members: Introduce Yourself!

by boogiepop Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:02 pm

Hello, everyone!

Here goes for an introduction...

My gaming life started as a youngster in the 80's with the family Commodore 64. I loved that thing to bits, but eventually the Genesis came out and I was suddenly always visiting my neighbor's to play it, so I saved up for a Game Gear. It's the only console I owned as a child, though my brother had an SNES and I played that a ton, too. In the early 2000's I started picking up PS1 games because they were cheap since I finally had the money to actually buy stuff, and then got into the Neo Geo and well... suddenly it all became "retro gaming" apparently.

I spent the last decade or so abroad, so my gaming was relegated to the Nintendo DS until relatively recently, but I'm happily getting into console gaming again. Prices are crazy, but I don't care too much. I don't drink (anymore) nor smoke, so I figure if I want to blow money on old games, who can judge me, right?

By the way, I'm a moderator at neogeoforever.com in case that's of interest to anyone.

I look forward to chatting with all of you! :D
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:03 am

Hello, and welcome to the forum!

I can also remember picking up old games in the early 2000's... I was doing this thing that other people found odd, but then suddenly it became "retro gaming." And you're right, there's far worse habits one could have like smoking or drinking.
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:07 am

Welcome! The Game Gear was my first gaming device too. It has its flaws, but it was a great little system!
Note
Next-Gen

by Note Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:23 am

boogiepop wrote:Hello, everyone!

Here goes for an introduction...

Welcome to the forum, boogiepop! Genesis and SNES are two of my favorite consoles too. Look forward to talking games with you too!
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:21 pm

boogiepop wrote:Prices are crazy, but I don't care too much. I don't drink (anymore) nor smoke, so I figure if I want to blow money on old games, who can judge me, right?

As long as you're not going broke from it nothing wrong with that! However, I ended up choosing to get tattoos and in a few months piercings done as that seems cheaper to "collect" than retro games :lol:
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:02 pm

Welcome; Glad to have a new member. I look forward to you contributing your knowledge of the Commodore 64. We collectively don't know much as the forum posts about it show. I wish I had been able to watch some of the demo scene things start there and progress to the Amiga, but I really enjoyed seeing it bleed over into DOS back when I found out about it. I miss smoking - it was my favorite hobby. Tech doesn't cost as much so I guess it's a win. I'm an alcoholic. I like beer.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Note
Next-Gen

by Note Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:47 pm

Anapan wrote:Welcome; Glad to have a new member. I look forward to you contributing your knowledge of the Commodore 64. We collectively don't know much as the forum posts about it show. I wish I had been able to watch some of the demo scene things start there and progress to the Amiga, but I really enjoyed seeing it bleed over into DOS back when I found out about it. I miss smoking - it was my favorite hobby. Tech doesn't cost as much so I guess it's a win. I'm an alcoholic. I like beer.

I like beer too! But I keep my drinking limited to Friday and Saturday nights nowadays. Lol.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:58 pm

Boogiepop, if you're into making custom box art, that'd make two of us. I've also started dabbling in making fake Criterion Collection covers.

Anyway, welcome.
boogiepop

by boogiepop Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:08 pm

Sorry for the late reply. It's been a busy week. ><

Nice to meet you all and thank you for the warm welcome! :D

Nemoide - Yes, I enjoyed it a great deal! It does have plenty of bad games (and I owned a few of them) and the screen was a bit too blurry as I recall, but it was a joy to hold and play on. (The Game Boy actually gives me hand cramps.) I took great care of it, so I was devastated when it suddenly stopped working.

I may look into picking one up someday. Not many things can possibly make me feel like a kid again, but I'm guessing that would.

Anapan - My memory of the C64 is probably a bit fuzzy at this point, but I played tons of games on the thing. (Admittedly, it had a ton more games than I could have imagined.) Some of my favorites were Archon, Save N.Y., Fire King, and International Superstar Karate. I remember my mom and dad getting this little program called The Talking Computer (or something like that) and then having it greet me as I entered the room. I nearly crapped my pants.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:46 pm

If you still have that not-working Game Gear, look into getting the capacitors replaced. The GG is pretty infamous for having terrible capacitors and just about every unit needs to get them replaced. Unfortunately the cost of those repairs makes it one of the more expensive retro systems out there; even if you got a working one for cheap, it will likely need new capacitors sooner rather than later. At least the games can mostly be found for cheap!
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever