Page 2 of 4

Re: Did Pioneer ever make wristwatches?

Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:31 am
by CRTGAMER
Mod_Man_Extreme wrote:
CRTGAMER wrote:Sharp looking watch, a promo from pioneer? Logo looks similar except for larger "P"compared to Player.
Watch almost same black metal finish too.

That's my thinking, the design is close to the LaserDisc player form '87 I have in my closet, but not exactly similar at the same time.

You have the watch on, dust off that old Laser Player and track down Dragons Lair for it! JOG, SHUTTLE it! :mrgreen:

Re: Did Pioneer ever make wristwatches?

Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:38 am
by Mod_Man_Extreme
CRTGAMER wrote:
Mod_Man_Extreme wrote:
CRTGAMER wrote:Sharp looking watch, a promo from pioneer? Logo looks similar except for larger "P"compared to Player.
Watch almost same black metal finish too.

That's my thinking, the design is close to the LaserDisc player form '87 I have in my closet, but not exactly similar at the same time.

You have the watch on, dust off that old Laser Player and track down Dragons Lair for it! JOG, SHUTTLE it! :mrgreen:

Well my player doesn't have a jog shuttle due to it's age, it's actually one of the first LD players with dual CLD-CAV and Dolby Surround modes!

For your reference since I know you're a big LD nut the model no is: CLD-1030

Here's a pic that I just stole off the net:

Pioneer CLD-1030.jpg
Pioneer CLD-1030.jpg (21.96 KiB) Viewed 494 times


Also, here's a link with some more pics (Pics aren't mine and I'm located in the US, but it's the best I could find on google image search as for size and quality):
http://www.laserdiscarchive.co.uk/laser ... d-1030.htm

Re: Did Pioneer ever make wristwatches?

Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:08 am
by Hobie-wan
Ok, that's just odd because even though blurry, it looks like the post 2000 Pioneer logo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneer_Corporation

Is she sure it was your Dad's?

Also bleh, no model number.

Re: Did Pioneer ever make wristwatches?

Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:13 am
by Mod_Man_Extreme
Hobie-wan wrote:Ok, that's just odd because even though blurry, it looks like the post 2000 Pioneer logo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneer_Corporation

Is she sure it was your Dad's?

Also bleh, no model number.

Trust me, she wouldn't have been all teary eyed when she gave it to me if it wasn't.

I dunno, it might have been the Model No. on the bottom, but it simply has four digits underneath all the specs without mention of if they're either the serial or model no.

Re: Did Pioneer ever make wristwatches?

Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:49 am
by nate
I have a Snap~On Tools watch but they never made watches, it's a promotional item. something the y sell for gifts or possibly gave out to sales reps for good customer handouts. I'm shure you can find a Coca Cola or Marlboro watch too.
not trying to say it isn't cool or rare but I'd guess Pioneer had them made for promotional distribution.

I've seen that font with the big "P" on their car stereo for years.

Re: Did Pioneer ever make wristwatches?

Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:06 am
by hashiriya1
I was interested, so I thought I'd use my Japanese language skills (Since Pioneer is a Japanese company) to research this. I searched dozens of Japanese language sites and there is no evidence Pioneer was ever in the watch business. I am guessing it is a promotional item. I have a Subaru and a Nissan watch (both promotional items), and neither of those companies make or made watches either.

Re: Did Pioneer ever make wristwatches?

Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:29 pm
by CRTGAMER
Mod_Man_Extreme wrote:Well my player doesn't have a jog shuttle due to it's age, it's actually one of the first LD players with dual CLD-CAV and Dolby Surround modes!

For your reference since I know you're a big LD nut the model no is: CLD-1030

Also, here's a link with some more pics (Pics aren't mine and I'm located in the US, but it's the best I could find on google image search as for size and quality):
http://www.laserdiscarchive.co.uk/laser ... d-1030.htm

Nice machine. Very similar to my CLD-3070 and CLD-702. I wonder, a chance a Pioneer jog-shuttle remote would work on your machine? Your laser disc player basically has all the same functions of step, variable slow to fast, just not the actual jog-shuttle dial. Both my Laser remotes work with each other, but maybe because jog-shuttle are on the players. Something to maybe look for, if you find a Pioneer jog-shuttle remote cheap at swap meet, just might work.

Re: Did Pioneer ever make wristwatches?

Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:34 pm
by CRTGAMER
nate wrote:I have a Snap~On Tools watch but they never made watches, it's a promotional item. something the y sell for gifts or possibly gave out to sales reps for good customer handouts. I'm shure you can find a Coca Cola or Marlboro watch too.
not trying to say it isn't cool or rare but I'd guess Pioneer had them made for promotional distribution.

I've seen that font with the big "P" on their car stereo for years.

Agree, maybe a promo collector's watch. Did your Dad have any Pioneer Home Video or Stereos?

I have a Coleman watch. bought as regular SKU from Target. Friends think I have an inside with Coleman camping supplies.

Re: Did Pioneer ever make wristwatches?

Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:59 pm
by h8b1llg8ts
Try posting here:

http://www.pocketcalculatorshow.com/nerdwatch/

Found a lot of info for my GCE Sports Time Watch. The watch I had as a kid but was stolen by Jack S. in the 2nd grade. For decades I thought it was a dream and there was no such watch but within 5min I had confirmation and my search was on.

A bunch of good guys ...

Re: Did Pioneer ever make wristwatches?

Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:15 pm
by CRTGAMER
h8b1llg8ts wrote:Try posting here:

http://www.pocketcalculatorshow.com/nerdwatch/

Found a lot of info for my GCE Sports Time Watch. The watch I had as a kid but was stolen by Jack S. in the 2nd grade. For decades I thought it was a dream and there was no such watch but within 5min I had confirmation and my search was on.

A bunch of good guys ...

Wow some very cool Retro watches. I remember that Casio Calculator watch, okay, who else had one of those.
I have the blue Commodore LCD didn't know about the gold one listed.

Little off topic, h8b1llg8ts did you get that Saturn Flight Stick?