What's with the sexism and homophobia lately?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Unleaded Logic
128-bit

Re: What's with the sexism and homophobia lately?

Post by Unleaded Logic »

I think the term "Thats gay" isn't offensive as much as it is stupid. I remember when I was working at a video game store like 7 years ago, some group of kids came in and one of them asked me something about if a game that came out had a certain feature for it. When I told him it didn't have the feature he was looking for he responded "Well, that game is gay!" He went and looked at his friends for approval like he was cool.

I responded "Funny, I didn't know games had a sexual orientation"

The kid had no idea what to say and his friends started laughing at him, he obviously made himself look like an idiot.

My point is though, that the statement is stupid. If your going to be negative, it least say something that makes sense.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Luke wrote:Do we think cursing is wrong? No. But we try to show some respect and class. I think that is what he's trying to get across.

this.
fuctfuct
Next-Gen

Post by fuctfuct »

noiseredux wrote:
MentalMan wrote:Personally I dont think there is any need to bring up the book of morale, these are just words.

okay, but you have 13 posts, and you're being asked my a moderator with nearly 2000 posts not to use them. So...

How does post count dictate the worth of what he is saying. I have been here for quite a while and could have 3000 posts if i had felt like it. Would that make what i say here more important?
thecommontask
16-bit

Post by thecommontask »

MentalMan wrote:After all, calling a videogame character a gay faggot dosnt hurt any real person.

This couldn't be more ridiculous of a thing to say in support of your argument. There is a very clear connection between such language and emotional/physical harm to people. You could argue that a person needs to be stronger around it or whatever, but if a kid out there who's questioning things about their life hears or reads something like that it's damaging to them - it's that simple. It can cause things to happen that would harm a person very much. I don't feel the need to get into specific examples... so just please use some sense and take accountability for your actions if this is something you believe.

EDIT: Just saw Luke's post and yeah I got off on a tangent about semantics, my bad. He's right, it boils down to respect, enough said.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

*opens can of worms*

MentalMan wrote:And if we cant throw around words like we want to on a nice forum like this one, not full of anal redundant moral apostels, then where can we? There is no such thing as free speech, but there is a thing as ignorance. Sadly both seem to go hand in hand which makes it feel like a paradoxon...After all, calling a videogame character a gay faggot dosnt hurt any real person

Of course there is such a thing as a right to free speech, but there is no right to speak without risk of people calling you out for speech that is incorrect, ignorant, or harmful to others. If you really don't think that referring to a game character as a "gay faggot" does any kind of harm to gay people, then you are indeed ignorant of the way that language works. Even if "gay" might not mean the same thing to everyone, it's primary meaning in this country and around the world is still that of homosexuality. So the use of the term as a pejorative is still harmful as it equates the term with negativity. Even if it's not true for you, this way of speaking/thinking the word "gay" certainly trickles down into how the culture treats homosexuals.

Also, I think you meant to say "anal retentive," I'm not sure what "anal redundant" is, but it does indeed sound gay.

fuctfuct wrote:I know big, tough, strong, drinkin, smoking, super "manly" guys that are %100 gay and say things like "that's so gay" and "what a fagot"

I love this clip .. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-otAJrtY-w

First, I love Louis C.K. He's my favorite comedian now that Carlin has passed. That whole stand-up special is hilarious, and the "faggy" bit is great as well. BUT it's all done with a careful attention to the word - the routine is specifically about context and thoughtfulness, which are usually absent from the regular usage of the word.

Second, knowing gay people who use "gay" and "faggot" pejoratively doesn't invalidate any of my arguments. An argument could be made that when gays use these terms in that way it is just as harmful to their community as when some African Americans refer to themselves as "nigger."

Merz wrote:Update the forum rules and make an announcement. If people are still being jerks set an example.

I'd rather have a dialogue and try to get people to think more critically about their word choices instead of making some rule. Again, I am all for free speech/expression, and simply think that certain harmful kinds of statements should be called out by the community when they see it. No need to start banning/warning people for using profanity, demeaning language, etc.
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

Let's just leave this alone and take what dsheinem said at face value.

It hasn't been confirmed, but I'm about 99% sure he just wants posters to be aware of what we post. He's not trying to be a post nazi, just wants our posts to reflect what this site is about. Sure we go off topic, but we don't have to post stuff that you would generally see on youtube comments.

Just use a little common sense.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

fuctfuct wrote:
noiseredux wrote:
MentalMan wrote:Personally I dont think there is any need to bring up the book of morale, these are just words.

okay, but you have 13 posts, and you're being asked my a moderator with nearly 2000 posts not to use them. So...

How does post count dictate the worth of what he is saying. I have been here for quite a while and could have 3000 posts if i had felt like it. Would that make what i say here more important?

I was just trying to say "hey new guy, maybe you don't realize that ds is a mod."
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Luke wrote:Let's just leave this alone and take what dsheinem said at face value.

It hasn't been confirmed, but I'm about 99% sure he just wants posters to be aware of what we post. He's not trying to be a post nazi, just wants our posts to reflect what this site is about. Sure we go off topic, but we don't have to post stuff that you would generally see on youtube comments.

Just use a little common sense.

Yeah, although I do love to debate semantics (see above).

Still, you're right - my main argument is "be more respectful, assholes." :)
Hatta
Next-Gen

Post by Hatta »

You guys talk like a fag, and your shit's all retarded.
We are prepared to live in the plain and die in the plain!
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Hatta wrote:You guys talk like a fag, and your shit's all retarded.

Inevitable post of "this thread is gay" is inevitable.

Frankly, I'm surprised it took this long for someone to post it. You don't disappoint, Hatta.