Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: What Made you Smile/What Ticked you off Today?

by CRTGAMER Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:35 am

AppleQueso wrote:I'll take a look for those I suppose, but if it's anything more complicated than replacing a fuse I'll probably just hunt down a replacement of some sort. A 35"ish SD CRT with S-Video and Component inputs shouldn't be that expensive.

EDIT: Yup, definitely the fuse. It's visibly blown.

Looks like an easy fix, maybe tied to the power outage back on surge. Hopefully nothing else is wrong. While you have the cover off can you see if it has any MCZ3001D or MCZ3001DB Chips?
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:37 am

CRTGAMER wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:I'll take a look for those I suppose, but if it's anything more complicated than replacing a fuse I'll probably just hunt down a replacement of some sort. A 35"ish SD CRT with S-Video and Component inputs shouldn't be that expensive.

EDIT: Yup, definitely the fuse. It's visibly blown.

Looks like an easy fix, maybe tied to the power outage back on surge. Hopefully nothing else is wrong. While you have the cover off can you see if it has any MCZ3001D or MCZ3001DB Chips?

I almost guarantee that it's related to the surge. For whatever reason, it was the only electrical appliace I had that was plugged directly into the wall instead of into a surge protector. Guess we know what happened... :oops:

I don't see any ICs or anything like that at all. I've opened a WEGA before, and this one's board is nowhere near as complicated looking.
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

by RyaNtheSlayA Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:53 am

I dread the day my XBR 960 dies.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
gtmtnbiker
Next-Gen

by gtmtnbiker Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:09 am

AppleQueso wrote:EDIT: Yup, definitely the fuse. It's visibly blown.

Can you post a picture of it? I'm curious what it looks like.
AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:12 am

My camera is pretty terrible, but basically it looks like this: http://www.pawlikautomotive.com/wp-cont ... n-fuse.png

had to hold it up to the light to see the break in it, but yeah
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:16 pm

Ticked - Power was off last night for the majority of my home time.
Smiled - Since the power was off, and we had nothing else to do. I went and grabbed a portable power supply I have, my LED projector, a piece of foamcore, and my Bluray player, and we watched The Dish and Seabiscuit by candlelight. The screen was only about 6ft and it was mono, so we were roughing it...The advantages of being a techie that use to do event planning.
gtmtnbiker
Next-Gen

by gtmtnbiker Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:38 pm

AppleQueso wrote:My camera is pretty terrible, but basically it looks like this: http://www.pawlikautomotive.com/wp-cont ... n-fuse.png

had to hold it up to the light to see the break in it, but yeah

Ahh yes, that's definitely obvious. I was thinking you had some sort or IC or modern fuse and was curious to see what it looked like.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:34 pm

TICKED:

mjmjr25's story several pages back made me think of a bad retro game store experience I recently had...

First, you have to understand that this particular store doesn't put their more "obscure" stuff out front on the shelves, they keep it out back so I have a habit of asking if they have anything "weird" during each visit.

Anyway, I go in about 6 weeks ago and the clerk pulls out a stack of about 10 Virtual Boy games for me to look at (some Japanese some American). I didn't own a Virtual Boy at the time so I said that I would pass. No problems yet.

Well about a month ago I did in fact manage to score a Virtual Boy (online) so I went back to the store to see if the games were still there. There was a different employee working this time (a woman). She claimed that she knew for a fact the Virtual Boy games were still there, but she didn't think she would be able to find them. I gave her the benefit of the doubt: the store had just been renovated and she was the only employee on duty. She said that she would hold them for me once she found them and that I should come back in a week.

One week later, I go back and the same woman is working. I ask her if she managed to dig up the Virtual Boy games. She replies with, "Yes but I decided to sell them on half.com." I ask for her rationale and she says, "It's easier that way." I'm assuming that meant she was hoping people would pay for whatever high-ball prices she set and that she didn't want to deal with my price-haggling ass. Whatever. The bottom line is: she refused to sell me games she physically had in the store after promising she would. I voiced my displeasure and left. :evil:
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:56 pm

That's the kind of stuff that would forever keep me away from a store. I'd also call whatever manager there was and tell him that they lost my business and they'll be getting some pretty fair reviews.
AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:48 pm

Replaced that fuse finally, TV works great now! :D

@BoneSnapDeez: Yikes, that's pretty underhanded. Never had any store do something like THAT to me.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever