Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: What Made you Smile/What Ticked you off Today?

by noiseredux Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:12 am

sadly, the seller wins there. They've done nothing wrong as Monday is within the delivery window they advertised.
gtmtnbiker
Next-Gen

by gtmtnbiker Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:15 am

noiseredux wrote:Ticked: Paid for my 360 on 5/27 but the seller didn't ship until 5/30. Via UPS Ground. And the tracking says "Scheduled Delivery: Monday, 06/04/2012, By End of Day" so now I won't get to play it over the weekend because UPS Ground sucks and doesn't deliver on Saturdays apparently. :x

I dunno. I find UPS ground to work pretty well. I have a Fedex Ground package that was shipped on Wed from Illinois that is expected today. I just got off the phone with Fedex to make sure the package is delivered after 4pm since a signature is required.

It's a new Sony Vaio S laptop. It'll replace my existing laptop which is from 2004. I'm looking forward to using it and not having my lap get warm from the CPU/battery.
Luke
Next-Gen

by Luke Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:38 am

noiseredux wrote:in fairness I paid on Sunday and Monday was a holiday. But it looks like if it shipped on Tuesday instead of Wednesday I'd be receiving it TODAY. :x

Argh.

Well, just look at it this way, you may have a more productive weekend.
AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:50 am

Had a power outage yesterday night. Power went back on shortly before I left for work.

I get home today though to find that my CRT TV won't come on. :evil:

Hope it's an easy fix...
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

by RyaNtheSlayA Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:53 am

AppleQueso wrote:Had a power outage yesterday night. Power went back on shortly before I left for work.

Hope it's an easy fix...

Unplug and plug back in?

My older Sony CRT did the same thing but after an unplugging it was fine.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:55 am

RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:Had a power outage yesterday night. Power went back on shortly before I left for work.

Hope it's an easy fix...

Unplug and plug back in?

My older Sony CRT did the same thing but after an unplugging it was fine.

Yeah, I've tried that, plugging it into different sockets, etc

no help :(

I'm gonna try leaving it unplugged for at least a good half hour and try again...
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:56 am

@ noise - Hang in there, only a couple of days. Hope the 360 is in good shape. Speaking of waiting maybe might give you a smile.

Ticked 1 - The Damage
I bought Safecracker for the Wii a couple of weeks ago. In my stupidity I put the disc in the Wii without inspecting the disc. Drive did a the spin and then several loud clicks. I popped the disc and it looked like a Hershey bar munching bum put his grubby hands all over it! Crap! Crap! Crap! Gave the disc a good cleaning and tried again which resulted in more clicks. Then tried other games which would boot sometimes and other times cutout halfway thru the load.

Ticked 2 - The wait
Upon closer inspection, the Safecracker disc has swirls in it, now that does not make sense. The only way the swirls could get there is dragging on the laser or the chocolate eater returning the disc to the case by spinning it on the hub. I exchanged the game for the only other one locally used, but the replacement also has scratches. I really want to play this game based on mjmjr recommendation. Gamestop has a one week refund, but a thirty day exchange so I have a bit of a window to get the Wii replaced or repaired. I even posted the game in the Finds Thread waiting for the console to be fixed.

Ticked 3 - Damn DRM
What is it with the Wii error screen? Eject disc and shut off power? There is no hard shutoff switch so I have to drag the console out and pull the plug. Anyways, at this point the Wii looks to be shot. Even running a laser eye cleaning disc did not help and the "Official" cleaning kit is uncommon and expensive. I did not want to get a replacement and deal with all the downloads of the 52 demo games on the SD Card. Some of the Demos might not even be available. More importantly, I did not want to lose the WiiConnect24 Saves that cannot be backed up to a SD Card. All the Demos and Locked saves are tied to the console.

Smile - The Fix
Suspecting the laser was damaged from the chocolate disc, I ordered a replacement Laser and installed it. The old Laser was clean so it was probably knocked out of alignment. Maybe the CD cleaning kit polished the eye out since I heard it spool up inside the Wii, but I can see that the "Official" cleaning kit would not have helped in this situation. The Wii works beautiful, even my dual layer Smash Brothers runs fine. However, the replacement Safecracker game has issues, the scratches were enough to give the drive a workout, so I quickly ejected it.

I'm going back to Gamestop this morning and see if they can either ship one in or a refund. I'm leaning towards a refund, I'll just buy the stupid game new. I started thinking about why two copies of the same title would be so scratched up. Scratches occur from handling, not sitting in the case or in the console. Maybe the puzzle intensive game is played in small bites and consequently so many disc ejects? A frustration in solving a puzzle, so another game is popped in for a break?

The Laser change out is straight forward though meticulous on the Wii. I am writing a Guide to be posted in my Wii Thread. :idea:

Hope it's an easy fix...

If it is a WEGA, probably the MCZ3001D Power detection Chips.
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:07 am

CRTGAMER wrote:

Hope it's an easy fix...

It's not a WEGA, it's a Panasonic. I suspect it's a blown fuse or something.

It's not HD or anything, and even though it's pretty nicely sized I'm sure I could hunt down a decent replacement if I needed to, but still... I really like this TV, retro games look amazing on it.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:10 am

AppleQueso wrote:
CRTGAMER wrote:

Hope it's an easy fix...
It's not a WEGA, it's a Panasonic. I suspect it's a blown fuse or something.

It's not HD or anything, and even though it's pretty nicely sized I'm sure I could hunt down a decent replacement if I needed to, but still... I really like this TV, retro games look amazing on it.

Maybe pop that back and look for the chip? I'm pretty sure the chips are unique to WEGA, but maybe the same chip might be used in other brands? I'm curious if it does have the same chips.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:12 am

I'll take a look for those I suppose, but if it's anything more complicated than replacing a fuse I'll probably just hunt down a replacement of some sort. A 35"ish SD CRT with S-Video and Component inputs shouldn't be that expensive.

EDIT: Yup, definitely the fuse. It's visibly blown.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever