Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Re: What Made you Smile/What Ticked you off Today?

by REPO Man Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:52 pm

I chose prose over script formatting since prose fits better for fanfiction. Also this way I can deliver new information via narration over having to craft dialog to do so.

It should also be noted that if anyone here is a KotH fan, my plan is to have this shift the perspective from Hank to Bobby.
marurun

by marurun Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:10 pm

I see. I misunderstood this as an attempt to draft what could potentially be a legit draft script for an episode, not fan fiction. My mistake.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:17 pm

I agree with Maru, REPO. It needs some work, especially the dialogue. You should definitely keep writing, though! It’s clear that you have a passion for it, and the only way you’ll get better is if you keep doing it. We may not be the best audience to judge it - I, for one, have never seen a dull KotH episode before - but I am certain there are sites dedicated to the show that could give you more feedback regarding whether your script fits with the characters.

Also, and just a suggestion, but if you’re having trouble fitting your idea to the existing characters, why don’t you just make it something original? KotH characters aren’t particularly original themselves, and I am certain you could make your script work with all new characters. You live on the Outer Banks, right? I know enough about that area to know you could come up with some really interesting characters and situations if you set your story there. Again, just a suggestion! The most important thing is that you keep writing.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:22 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:You live on the Outer Banks, right? I know enough about that area to know you could come up with some really interesting characters and situations if you set your story there. Again, just a suggestion! The most important thing is that you keep writing.

Aside from a few horror films and an idea I had about a decade ago about a house swap, I've never really put much stock into writing stories set on the Outer Banks, particularly Hatteras Island.

As for "interesting characters and situations" set where I currently live, I usually end up drawing a blank. I mean, if I was able to be inspired by the Outer Banks, how come so many of my ideas take place in New York City? Because there's nothing about the Outer Banks that I find interesting enough to create stories around. And the ones I could are ones I could craft around any other locale.

Trust me, Hatteras Island is a cultural wasteland. When I go to the library, 99% of the time I can usually find at least 1-3 books worth reading. There's no museums, save for any devoted to local history. The nearest comic book store is an hour away and since I've been been there I don't know how good of a comic book store it is. Hardly any of the local bands, few as they are, do anything outside of southern rock or bluegrass. God forbid someone form a dark cabaret band on this island! And there's no live theater, save for the outdoor Lost Colony show up in Manteo. As for movie theaters, there's the Pioneer in Manteo, a single-screen place that mostly does family-friendly movies, and the RC Theater with ten screens that only does first-run movies. Yeah, no one do a Godard retrospective or anything! And literally everything is so geared to the tourists that most businesses close when tourist season ends, nearly every restaurant does essentially the same kind of cuisine, foreign cuisine is relegated to a Chinese buffet and a Mexican restaurant next door, only one bookstore, no public transportation and any artist on this island does more or less the same style of work.

It's no wonder I don't have any friends and have no real life outside of work and home.
marurun

by marurun Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:13 pm

REPO Man wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:As for "interesting characters and situations" set where I currently live, I usually end up drawing a blank. I mean, if I was able to be inspired by the Outer Banks, how come so many of my ideas take place in New York City? Because there's nothing about the Outer Banks that I find interesting enough to create stories around. And the ones I could are ones I could craft around any other locale.

Trust me, Hatteras Island is a cultural wasteland.

The best stories are about PEOPLE. How often do you type in here about spending time with your brother's ex-girlfriends's family? And you think a lack of "highbrow" or "artsty" cultural institutions is keeping you from creating good stories? You're surrounded by characters. If you read your own posts, YOU'RE quite a characters. Instead of writing about stuff you don't actually know a lot about (New York, high culture, etc...) try writing about stuff you DO know about: ordinary, dysfunctional people with ordinary, dramatic, interesting lives.

And Jesus, get over yourself...
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:21 pm

The important thing, REPO, is that you keep writing. If you enjoy writing about things outside your experience, you should do it. You may also want to work some of those things into your fan fiction. A KotH episode featuring a dark cabaret would probably be pretty wild.
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

by SamuraiMegas Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:48 pm

REPO Man wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:You live on the Outer Banks, right? I know enough about that area to know you could come up with some really interesting characters and situations if you set your story there. Again, just a suggestion! The most important thing is that you keep writing.

Aside from a few horror films and an idea I had about a decade ago about a house swap, I've never really put much stock into writing stories set on the Outer Banks, particularly Hatteras Island.

As for "interesting characters and situations" set where I currently live, I usually end up drawing a blank. I mean, if I was able to be inspired by the Outer Banks, how come so many of my ideas take place in New York City? Because there's nothing about the Outer Banks that I find interesting enough to create stories around. And the ones I could are ones I could craft around any other locale.

Trust me, Hatteras Island is a cultural wasteland. When I go to the library, 99% of the time I can usually find at least 1-3 books worth reading. There's no museums, save for any devoted to local history. The nearest comic book store is an hour away and since I've been been there I don't know how good of a comic book store it is. Hardly any of the local bands, few as they are, do anything outside of southern rock or bluegrass. God forbid someone form a dark cabaret band on this island! And there's no live theater, save for the outdoor Lost Colony show up in Manteo. As for movie theaters, there's the Pioneer in Manteo, a single-screen place that mostly does family-friendly movies, and the RC Theater with ten screens that only does first-run movies. Yeah, no one do a Godard retrospective or anything! And literally everything is so geared to the tourists that most businesses close when tourist season ends, nearly every restaurant does essentially the same kind of cuisine, foreign cuisine is relegated to a Chinese buffet and a Mexican restaurant next door, only one bookstore, no public transportation and any artist on this island does more or less the same style of work.

It's no wonder I don't have any friends and have no real life outside of work and home.

I think a comedic story about a man who gets upset his rural community doesn't match to his extremely niche and high-falutin tastes & tries and fails to get things going all the time could be funny. Draw from your own life, I do it with my own art and music. It's okay to laugh at yourself sometimes.

I gotta say though- "Hatteras island is a cultural wasteland" I mean no shit, you live on an island with 4500 people, what do you expect? There's not going to be a huge melting-pot of cultures there- where you live is homogeneous and HAS IT'S OWN CULTURE. You're missing the bigger picture- you think that because the island's culture doesn't match your own tastes, it has no culture. It sounds like it very clearly does have one, you're just sticking your nose up at it because you think you are some fancy city boy, which you are not.

"Yeah no one do a Godard retrospective or anything!" I mean shit dude, I live in/ near 3 major cities (Denton, Dallas/FT Worth) and I don't think there's that type of thing around here too often even, and there is literally 1000x the amount of people living around here. If you want things to happen, take them in your own hands, because they don't just magically happen because you're in the big city.

Move to Jersey for christ's sake if you can't afford NYC. Figure something out if you don't like it there. It's truly not that hard, I can say that from experience.
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:03 pm

Been thinking about getting my license, because unless they put a Greyhound station on the island it's the only way I'll be able to leave this island. But right now it looks like that's a pipe dream, since I've tried a few times and always fail the test, and it's almost always a question not in the driver's handbook.

But it'd be nice to just box up my stuff, rent a U-haul and drive away.
marurun

by marurun Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:15 pm

Get an Uber off the island and then take a Greyhound.

Are you making note of the things that are failing you so you can make sure you know the right answer the next time you take the test?
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
PretentiousHipster
128-bit

by PretentiousHipster Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:17 pm

As someone who can enjoy the highest (or lowest) of high art, I gotta say culture does not necessarily mean they're into that stuff and wear haute couture. The whole lack of art = lack of intelligence thing does piss me off too. Southern rock and bluegrass is culture, and can be seen as high art to some eyes (I particularly love bluegrass myself).

That being said, please keep writing. Look at my youtube channel. The first few videos are the biggest embarrassment ever, but I still leave them on there because it shows firsthand the type of progress I've made. If after a few months you don't hate your initial bodies of work, then you are not improving and you are doing it wrong.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever