Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Ack

Re: What Made you Smile/What Ticked you off Today?

by Ack Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:34 pm

Nice seat at that Astros game.

My fiancee and I visited a caterer for a tasting on Saturday, and then we went to see Avengers: Endgame. Afterwards, we hit up a favorite Chinese restaurant for some Sezchuan chicken and got a couple of sweet buns nearby.

Today, it's the usual chores, but I'm also working on some short stories and prepping for a couple of comedy shows in the next two weeks.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:10 pm

:cry: Turns out the save battery in my Pokemon Stadium game IS dead. After like 9 hours of progress, nearly done with the game, I turned off the console and took it out of the system to see if I could test if Pokemon Stadium 2's save battery worked. I put the first game in after and ALL my trophies are goneeeee. That was pretty soul-destroying. Not sure I'm gonna make another attempt at that game for a good long time (at least until I can be bothered to either emulate it or try and change the save battery, of course XP).
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:59 pm

I didn’t go to an Astros game, but I still had a pretty great weekend. I ran a 5K with my daughter on Saturday morning. She got a pretty severe cramp about 3/4 of a mile into it - she was crying; so, I know she was hurting pretty badly - her competitive streak wouldn’t let her quit, though. (I asked her if she wanted to stop or walk for a bit, and she replied, “NO!”) She finished with a time just a few seconds shy of 27 minutes, but I know she wanted to go a lot faster. I’m unbelievably proud of the determination and grit she displayed during the race, though.

After that, we all went to Amelie’s, a local chain of French bakeries, for brunch. It was excellent, as always. I worked in the yard a bit and played Super Smash Bros. (Wii U) and Game & Wario (Wii U) with my children, and my parents took the children on Saturday night. Accoridngly, my wife and I went to one of our favorite local restaurants and sat at the “kitchen counter” so we could watch them cook. (It’s always fascinating, and we get to ask them questions about what they’re doing and sample some of the things they’re prepping for tomorrow.) It was a really fun date.

We slept in and made ourselves brunch this morning, and we spent most of the afternoon playing in the yard. I also spent a lot of time cooking today. I made gosht korma, roasted curry cauliflower, and a spicy fruit chutney. We’ll be sitting down in a few minutes, and I hope it’s good!

Also...I beta Kid Dracula on the Famicom, but since that aggressively mediocre didn’t make me smile or frown, I’ll write about it somewhere else. :lol:
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:01 pm

Nice. 27 min is a great time for a kid her age, too.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:01 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Nice. 27 min is a great time for a kid her age, too.

Thanks! She loves running, and she was hoping to get in under 26. I think she can do it with a little more practice (and practice pacing...she went out way too hard at the start of the race).
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:59 pm

:evil: just lost one of my two nights off! My coworker is sick and left last night, so it was me and the manager. I didn't get out until almost 12 hours after my shift started, even though I was only scheduled until 6am. But to add insult to injury, I got a call asking if I can come in tonight (my first night off since last Tuesday). And I've gotta work my other job tomorrow morning AND Food Lion tomorrow night! Thankfully I'm off from Duck Donuts on Wednesday and Food Lion that night.

I swear, don't the managers know how the fucking schedule works? I'm assigned a set of nights to work and times to work. So naturally they steal my nights off AND make me stay late! If I'm scheduled Monday and Wednesday off, they I do NOT work those nights! If I'm scheduled 10 to 6, then I start work at 10 on the dot and leave at 6 on the dot, not "when the job is done", not until the next person scheduled "shows up", at SIX! I even told them "I can't work after 6", and they said that was fine. I HARDLY EVER LEAVE RIGHT AT SIX!

And why does this happen? Because it's just me, my other coworker and either my manager or my supervisor, and no one else. Basically me and up to two people. As if it's such a hassle to hire more people!
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:15 pm

Welcome to the life of a wage slave.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Ack

by Ack Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:17 pm

REPO Man wrote::evil: just lost one of my two nights off! My coworker is sick and left last night, so it was me and the manager. I didn't get out until almost 12 hours after my shift started, even though I was only scheduled until 6am. But to add insult to injury, I got a call asking if I can come in tonight (my first night off since last Tuesday). And I've gotta work my other job tomorrow morning AND Food Lion tomorrow night! Thankfully I'm off from Duck Donuts on Wednesday and Food Lion that night.

I swear, don't the managers know how the fucking schedule works? I'm assigned a set of nights to work and times to work. So naturally they steal my nights off AND make me stay late! If I'm scheduled Monday and Wednesday off, they I do NOT work those nights! If I'm scheduled 10 to 6, then I start work at 10 on the dot and leave at 6 on the dot, not "when the job is done", not until the next person scheduled "shows up", at SIX! I even told them "I can't work after 6", and they said that was fine. I HARDLY EVER LEAVE RIGHT AT SIX!

And why does this happen? Because it's just me, my other coworker and either my manager or my supervisor, and no one else. Basically me and up to two people. As if it's such a hassle to hire more people!

You realize that if you want to work in the film industry, you're gonna have to get used to working like this. Only once have I ever had a shoot run entirely on time. Something always happens, and you don't leave until the day's filming is done. The weather will turn, the actors will struggle, something will happen to tech...there are so many variables, and any one of them will cost you time. If you do decide to leave, don't expect to ever get asked to work with those folks again.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:18 pm

Teachers usually work 9 or 10 hours a day five days a week, and we're salary, so we don't even get any extra for the extra time.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Ack

by Ack Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:22 pm

I always work 9 hours a day as a salaried employee. I have for years, and when I started, I'd put in 10 to prove my willingness to do the job. That's just how it is.

When I worked at the TCM Film Festival, I showed up on my day off because I knew they'd need help. But as a result of all my hard work, folks noticed. I've been repeatedly asked to come back for next year's festival already because people want to work with me.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever