Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Ack

Re: What Made you Smile/What Ticked you off Today?

by Ack Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:17 pm

I have finally decided after years of putting it off that I need to create a bigger social media profile to start marketing all the stuff I'm doing, be it video, stage, or whatever.

I've got a Twitter and Facebook account, but I realize those aren't exactly what the kids are using these days for the social mediaing. They're more for those of us who just like to shake our fists at the dang kids on our lawns. What should I be using? I also need a suggestion for a website, one where I could potentially house all of those film reviews I've been writing (and for many more that I never got around to writing and subjecting you to, you lucky bleeders). Anyone have any suggestions?
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
MrPopo

by MrPopo Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:50 pm

John Scalzi's online presence is still through his personal Wordpress blog for his longer thinky bits and reviews, and then twitter for his small things.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Ack

by Ack Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:05 pm

MrPopo wrote:John Scalzi's online presence is still through his personal Wordpress blog for his longer thinky bits and reviews, and then twitter for his small things.

That's a good model. I've been on a military sci-fi kick for a couple of weeks and have been thinking of picking up Old Man's War.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:41 pm

Oh man, you definitely should. It's a really great series.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

by samsonlonghair Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:37 pm

Ack wrote:I have finally decided after years of putting it off that I need to create a bigger social media profile to start marketing all the stuff I'm doing, be it video, stage, or whatever.

I've got a Twitter and Facebook account, but I realize those aren't exactly what the kids are using these days for the social mediaing. They're more for those of us who just like to shake our fists at the dang kids on our lawns. What should I be using? I also need a suggestion for a website, one where I could potentially house all of those film reviews I've been writing (and for many more that I never got around to writing and subjecting you to, you lucky bleeders). Anyone have any suggestions?

Instagram is where all the cool kids are... at least until old men like us start using Instagram. Then the kids will move onto the next thing.
Snapchat is really popular, but it’s just for fun & games. It’s not really geared towards professional presentation.
On that note, LinkedIn is the social media site for keeping up with your professional contacts. There’s no kids on here though. It’s mostly working professionals. Very few people make a LinkedIn account before their senior year of college.

Honestly Ack, if video and stage is what you’re trying to promote, then YouTube seems like the obvious answer. Google finally gave up trying to integrate Google+ into YouTube. It’s back to being what it always was: a video sharing site with social media as an afterthought. There are a couple popular YouTubers who pop into racketboy on occasion. MetalJesus and GamesackJoe have both posted on Racketboy on and off for years. You might pick their brains to find out what they think about the Social media aspect of YouTube.

Your written reviews almost certainly belong on a WordPress website. By default, you can schedule posts in the future. Instead of dumping your entire backlog of movie reviews online all at once, you can schedule them to post one day at a time. Take a review for some Pirahnnah flick; schedule the post to go live next Thursday; then just let it happen. You can schedule thirty-one different horror movies to post on each day of October 2019 if you like. The cool thing about WordPress is that you can configure plugins to do things like... automatically send a tweet with a link to your latest review.

Xeogred wrote:Dang samson! Hope things turn around for you soon and those recruiters find something that's a good fit.

Big update! I have two interviews on Friday! They’re both for Web Designer jobs. That’s the field I really want to work in. Both these jobs pay a little bit better than my current day job. Wish me luck!

If I get either job I may wind up moving again for work. Maybe the landlord debacle will turn out to be a blessing in disguise.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:57 pm

Fingers crossed, Samson!
Ack

by Ack Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:26 pm

samsonlonghair wrote:
Ack wrote:I have finally decided after years of putting it off that I need to create a bigger social media profile to start marketing all the stuff I'm doing, be it video, stage, or whatever.

Instagram is where all the cool kids are... at least until old men like us start using Instagram. Then the kids will move onto the next thing.
Snapchat is really popular, but it’s just for fun & games. It’s not really geared towards professional presentation.
On that note, LinkedIn is the social media site for keeping up with your professional contacts. There’s no kids on here though. It’s mostly working professionals. Very few people make a LinkedIn account before their senior year of college.

Honestly Ack, if video and stage is what you’re trying to promote, then YouTube seems like the obvious answer. Google finally gave up trying to integrate Google+ into YouTube. It’s back to being what it always was: a video sharing site with social media as an afterthought. There are a couple popular YouTubers who pop into racketboy on occasion. MetalJesus and GamesackJoe have both posted on Racketboy on and off for years. You might pick their brains to find out what they think about the Social media aspect of YouTube.

Your written reviews almost certainly belong on a WordPress website. By default, you can schedule posts in the future. Instead of dumping your entire backlog of movie reviews online all at once, you can schedule them to post one day at a time. Take a review for some Pirahnnah flick; schedule the post to go live next Thursday; then just let it happen. You can schedule thirty-one different horror movies to post on each day of October 2019 if you like. The cool thing about WordPress is that you can configure plugins to do things like... automatically send a tweet with a link to your latest review.

Well, I've gone ahead and put together a WordPress website based on your suggestion. I've got a lot more work to do to actually get it presentable, but it's something. In the meantime, I intend to repost some of my reviews from here on there, pending some edits, as well as write some new ones about the horrible movies I've been watching lately.

http://moviereviewsbyamook.com
marurun

by marurun Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:09 pm

Good luck, Samson. I am on the hunt for a new job, too, but not because I think mine is going away.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Ack

by Ack Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:31 pm

Ok, I'm continuing on with this website/blog thing. I've currently got articles scheduled to release at 9am and 4pm every day for the next 5 days, though I want to try to do that for the rest of the month, taking older reviews and sprucing them up as needed. And I do mean older; I'm currently pulling stuff I wrote 18 months ago, and I'm still going through the backlog. I haven't even touched the official horror threads, yet I still have mostly horror movies queued up.

So long as I'm getting my content put up though, I'll be happy.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

by samsonlonghair Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:24 am

Great job, Ack! I checked out your WordPress site. Looks good! Maybe consider a shorter URL if you can find one. Otherwise, I like what you’re doing. Your writing is on point!

There’s a WordPress plugin called Yoast. This plugin helps you craft your articles in such a way as to attract more site traffic. If having more visitors on your site is important to you, then give Yoast a try.

Also, don’t be shy about putting your WordPress site in your signature; I’m not. Google ranks a site based on how many pages link to your website - especially if the incoming links are on higher ranked websites.
marurun wrote:Good luck, Samson. I am on the hunt for a new job, too, but not because I think mine is going away.

Thanks. I just stepped out of one interview. I’m going into another interview this afternoon. Man, I really need this to work out.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever