Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Re: What Made you Smile/What Ticked you off Today?

by casterofdreams Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:25 am

Key-Glyph wrote:My graduate school called to inform me that I apparently neglected to cash my last paycheck from my employment there three years ago. I suggested putting the incoming green straight into savings, but my husband throws his hands in the air and shouts gleefully, "Spend it on video games!!"

So now I'm going to brainstorm what games I'll be spending this surprise money on, guilt-free. Woohoo!

Maybe we can help! What are your options?
MrPopo

by MrPopo Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:22 pm

Key-Glyph wrote:My graduate school called to inform me that I apparently neglected to cash my last paycheck from my employment there three years ago. I suggested putting the incoming green straight into savings, but my husband throws his hands in the air and shouts gleefully, "Spend it on video games!!"

So now I'm going to brainstorm what games I'll be spending this surprise money on, guilt-free. Woohoo!

As per our conversation on Slack, you should use it to get Shining Force II.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

by Key-Glyph Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:00 pm

casterofdreams wrote:

Maybe we can help! What are your options?

So here are a few expensive games I've been particularly interested in owning someday, with the Video Game Price Charting prices (eBay prices do not always agree):

Alien Soldier (cart): $183
Ristar (CIB): $98.50
Phantasy Star IV (CIB): $88.13

Chrono Trigger (cart): $90.50
Earthbound (cart): $155.00

Mega Man V (cart): $91.96

There are a bunch of less expensive games I'd love to have, but if I don't use this surprise money on a couple biggies, I will never buy the biggies. I'm open to other suggestions! I primarily play Genesis and NES, but this could be a reason to pick up one of the life-changing SNES staples I never commit to.

To be honest, though, I'm leaning toward Phantasy Star IV and Alien Soldier (if Alien Soldier can actually be gotten for that price).
BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
Ack

by Ack Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:08 pm

If you want the legit PAL or NTSC-J release for Alien Soldier, yeah, prepare to consider shelling out for it. If you're not picky about repro carts, there are quite a few on eBay for a lot cheaper, though I noticed the sellers tend to not mention they are reproductions.

Personally, I'd go for Phantasy Star IV because I know you appreciate a good RPG.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:11 pm

Me reading the Blizzcon news just now:

:D Hey look a new Diablo game is coming out!

:twisted: And it is a mobile game....ugghh.
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

by Erik_Twice Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:37 pm

You can get a JP Chrono Trigger for practically nothing so I would consider how much the Western release is worth to you.

Phantasy Star IV is one of those games I put on when I want to see how beautiful games look on a CRT, so that one gets my vote :)
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
Michi
Next-Gen

by Michi Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:36 pm

Key-Glyph wrote:So here are a few expensive games I've been particularly interested in owning someday, with the Video Game Price Charting prices (eBay prices do not always agree):

Alien Soldier (cart): $183
Ristar (CIB): $98.50
Phantasy Star IV (CIB): $88.13

Chrono Trigger (cart): $90.50
Earthbound (cart): $155.00

Mega Man V (cart): $91.96

Ugh...so hard to choose.

If I were you I'd probably pick the one that A) Was at the higher end of the price range and B) Was harder to get. Because, really, if you're not going to use the 'surprise' money to do that now, chances are you'll hold out and what you wanted will get harder to find and (even) more expensive.

Okay, maybe I'm just projecting with that last sentence, but I think you get my gist.

Good luck, Key.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:16 pm

If you can be tw9 for the price of one, you should do it. I would get Mega Man V and Phantasy Star IV.

:D - There’s a new Rusty Lake game! That series is so good, and most of the games are free!
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

by Key-Glyph Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:34 am

Erik_Twice wrote:You can get a JP Chrono Trigger for practically nothing so I would consider how much the Western release is worth to you.

Oh man! I didn't realize Chrono Trigger was one of those Super Famicom releases like Super Metroid that had English in. This is so good to know! Thank you! (EDIT: That is what you mean, right?)

Thanks for the input, everybody. I think Phantasy Star IV is a definite. We'll see what else happens along with it. :D
BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:46 am

Depending how keen you are on specifically playing Chrono Trigger on SNES, it might be worth knowing it’s on DS too. Even if you don’t own the console (which you must being how much pokemon gen 4 you play) it’s likely cheaper to get the DS version AND the console then just to get the SNES game.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever