Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Re: What Made you Smile/What Ticked you off Today?

by ElkinFencer10 Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:53 pm

samsonlonghair wrote:
ElkinFencer10 wrote:Their line of thinking is "We kind of want to go back to Egypt anyway, so why put in the money an expense of moving to a safer town a couple counties south if we don't have the extra money from selling this house?" I agree that it doesn't make much sense either, but that's the line of thinking as has been explained to me. If it doesn't sell soon, they're just going to move to Egypt with family and it sells whenever it sells.
This reminds me of my Persian friend. His family has been swearing that they're moving back to Turkey any day now... for the last five years.

Turkey? But...Persia is the old name for Iran...The Turks and the Iranians typically aren't very buddy-buddy.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

by samsonlonghair Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:19 am

ElkinFencer10 wrote:Turkey? But...Persia is the old name for Iran...The Turks and the Iranians typically aren't very buddy-buddy.

Dude... Oversimplify much? :roll:

Persian is a nationality / ethnic identity; Turkey and Iran are modern states. Nearly all Iranians are Persian; not all Persians are Iranian. Many Turks are Persian; some Turks are Arab; some Turks are Greek (as in Greek ethnicity not as in citizens of Greece).

Persians are among the most ancient cultures on earth; their empire extended far beyond the borders of modern-day Iran.

I thought you were a history professor! :lol:
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:44 am

samsonlonghair wrote:
ElkinFencer10 wrote:Turkey? But...Persia is the old name for Iran...The Turks and the Iranians typically aren't very buddy-buddy.

Dude... Oversimplify much? :roll:

Persian is a nationality / ethnic identity; Turkey and Iran are modern states. Nearly all Iranians are Persian; not all Persians are Iranian. Many Turks are Persian; some Turks are Arab; some Turks are Greek (as in Greek ethnicity not as in citizens of Greece).

Persians are among the most ancient cultures on earth; their empire extended far beyond the borders of modern-day Iran.

I thought you were a history professor! :lol:

Ethnically, Persians aren't particularly common outside of Iran. Tajiks and Tats of Afghanistan, Turkmenistan, and Azerbaijan are related to the Persians but are distinct ethnic groups. While I don't doubt that there are Persians in Turkey, they're not particularly common; the only major ethnic groups in Turkey are Turks, Kurds, Arabs, and Laz.

samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

by samsonlonghair Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:56 am

Okay dude, I'll go tell Kerimhan that according to a highschool history teacher in North Carolina, he's not really a Persian. I'm sure that'll blow his mind! :lol:

Give it up, dude. I've known the man for years now. I've met his family. If they say they're Persian, then they're Persian. Why would they lie about it? :roll:
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:02 pm

I'm not saying they are. All I'm saying is that, statistically, there are few enough Persians in Turkey that it's not a ridiculous assumption to be confused when you first mention Persians and Turkey.

Ack

by Ack Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:57 pm

Either way, I think this is a fascinating discussion on the immigration of peoples through distinct regions and modern nations through the centuries.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

by samsonlonghair Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:57 pm

Do I need to provide a more logical explanation?

Persians have lived along the Bosphoros, in Anatolia, and in the Causcaus for thousands of years. In fact, the Persians have been there longer than the Turks have. Persians conquered the region, lost the region, and re-conquered the region more times than I can count. There have been numerous mass migrations of Persians into Anatolia over the centuries. The most recent such migration followed the 1979 Iranian revolution.

Please do not think that Persia = Iran. Many significant figures in the long history of Persian culture lived outside the borders of modern Iran. Iran (as we know it) is a relatively young state.

As for Turks, they are a multicultural amalgam (much like Americans are). Turks are descendant from the intermarriage of many groups including Armenians, Greeks, Assyrians, Kurds, Slavs, Arabs, Israelites, and indeed Persians. That's not to diminish Turks' own cultural identity; it's just to point out that the Bosphoros and Anatolia have long been a crossroads for many nationalities. In the past, the word "Turk" only applied to non-Ottomans or only to Sunnis. Turkey is the current political power in the region. The Turkish constitution defines the word "Turk" as anyone who is a citizen of the Republic Turkey irrespective of heritage - not a single ethnic group.

I don't know what else to tell you dude. That's all I got. As for me, I'm going to go eat some Baklava on Saturday. Little known fact: Persians from Turkey make fantastic Greek food! :mrgreen:
ESauced
64-bit

by ESauced Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:10 pm

Well I’m down in the basement working on the plumbing. Told my wife don’t use the plumbing while I’m down here about 50 times. She just turned on the shower while I had the sewer line disconnected...
stickem
Next-Gen

by stickem Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:25 pm

ESauced wrote:Well I’m down in the basement working on the plumbing. Told my wife don’t use the plumbing while I’m down here about 50 times. She just turned on the shower while I had the sewer line disconnected...

To the pit of misery with her...
ESauced
64-bit

by ESauced Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:46 pm

Haha. The pit of misery? Aka the dank, dark basement where I’m working?

I’m not so much mad as really, really annoyed. Haha. I basically have the line already opened up and now I have to wait until the water stops dripping before I can glue the couplings. So it added an hour or so of waiting to the job.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever