Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Re: What Made you Smile/What Ticked you off Today?

by ElkinFencer10 Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:38 am

My first four years of post-college adulthood have been pretty damn lonely.

ON THE POSITIVE FRONT, though, I've found a house that I've decided to put in an offer on as soon as my pre-qualification shit gets finished.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Ack

by Ack Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:47 am

ElkinFencer10 wrote:My first four years of post-college adulthood have been pretty damn lonely.

What, you mean talking to us doesn't count?

And here I thought we had something special...
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:09 pm

Ack wrote:
ElkinFencer10 wrote:My first four years of post-college adulthood have been pretty damn lonely.

What, you mean talking to us doesn't count?

And here I thought we had something special...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Of course yall count, but no one here is within driving distance to come hang out.

samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

by samsonlonghair Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:38 pm

I thought you hated Henderson. Didn't you indicate to us that you wanted to leave as soon as your obligation to teach there has ended?
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:42 pm

samsonlonghair wrote:I thought you hated Henderson. Didn't you indicate to us that you wanted to leave as soon as your obligation to teach there has ended?

I wasn't sure for a while, and I was always planning to re-evaluate after the first few years, but I'm halfway through my fourth year now, and I'm content here. I've made a name for myself and established a reputation in the school here.

MrPopo

by MrPopo Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:56 pm

He's afraid if he moves he'll end up at a school with even shittier kids (from a behavioral standpoint).
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:59 pm

MrPopo wrote:He's afraid if he moves he'll end up at a school with even shittier kids (from a behavioral standpoint).

Also this. The devil you know vs the devil you don't so to speak.

Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

by Forlorn Drifter Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:31 pm

ElkinFencer10 wrote:Vent away, man. That's what friends are for.

I found a house I really liked today, so I'm going to put in an offer as soon as my pre-qualification stuff is done. Hopefully I'll be a homeowner soon. :D

Thanks. Hope stuff goes good with the house!
samsonlonghair wrote:Glad to hear you're seeking help, FD. Keep at it; don't get discouraged. I believe in you.

I'm going to. My first "real" session is this week, and being through the school, stuff should be a bit smoother if this first counselor doesn't work out or something like that. I'm trying to stay positive about it all.
marurun wrote:My last year of college and first years out on my own were pretty darn lonely. I was lucky to meet my now spouse when I did. I have the feeling if I hadn't I would have been a pretty lonely guy for a lot longer than I was.

But everyone has their own trajectory. Sometimes it's about being proactive, or changing your environment, and sometimes it's just about getting lucky. Though it's hard to get lucky when you don't put yourself out there. And that's the hard part, putting yourself out there, because rejection hurts like a bitch, and it leaves a wound, and it's a strong disincentive to keep trying.

Pretty much. Being I have so little time left in school, I'm trying to keep myself content with who I have around and just connect with them more. Which is harder than I expected, because I've developed feelings for one of my friends, and IME that's really bad juju. I need to figure out how to get rid of them, because even if she was single I don't get the idea I'd be more than a friend to her, and she already has one guy who's had feelings for years in that position, and I don't want to make things harder for her on that front.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
marurun

by marurun Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:46 pm

Don't be in too much of a hurry for a girlfriend, or at least, even if you do get into a relationship, try to keep your perspective about it. Its much easier to type that than to do it, I know. I can offer only my own experiences. I only dated one girl in college, for about 4 months during my senior year, and was very frustrated the rest of the time. Hell, she even gave me mono. I ultimately ended up breaking up with her, because while the relationship was mostly fun, it didn't feel long-term comfortable or stable. It became clear to me that just because she was a nice person and available and I was desperate and available didn't mean we were right for each other. I actually felt better about myself after that, because I had made the choice to get into a relationship (proof I could), and I had chosen to end the relationship (proof I could, and also proof I wasn't always doomed to be on the receiving end).

Didn't stop the first 3 years out of college from veering into desperate again, but it was a nice reprieve.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

by Forlorn Drifter Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:31 pm

I'm not trying to get into a hurry or anything. I mean, the last girl I asked out I knew for over 6 months before I asked her out. (She's engaged now, haha) I just don't know how to get rid of feelings when they do come around.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever