Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

Re: What Made you Smile/What Ticked you off Today?

by SamuraiMegas Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:42 pm

I'm a senior, I'm one too.
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
This account isn't used much anymore. You can find me on reddit and steam @ SamuraiMegas as well.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:24 am

Well, yesterday was crap since all our license servers went down while I was trying to finish up a project. It was still down this morning, but today has gone much better. Mind, I'm still at work, but it's in the service of being able to take off all of next week. I want tomorrow to be my last day at work until after New Year's Day, if at all possible. So that frown should turn into a big ol' smile. :)
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Talk about games ten years old or older!
“History isn't just the story of bad people doing bad things. It's quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.” -- C.S. Lewis
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

by SamuraiMegas Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:48 am

:| the new star wars...
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
This account isn't used much anymore. You can find me on reddit and steam @ SamuraiMegas as well.
foxhound1022
Next-Gen

by foxhound1022 Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:24 pm

A mixture of happy and ticked: After almost a year, SF V is finally getting an arcade mode.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:52 pm

foxhound1022 wrote:A mixture of happy and ticked: After almost a year, SF V is finally getting an arcade mode.

I just bought SFV today. I've got a handful of games from the Holiday Sale, including Wipeout Omega Collection, Guilty Gear Xrd -Revelator-, Mighty No 9 (already had the 360 version), Marvel Puzzle Quest, Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary Edition and Toy Soldiers War Chest.

I also recently bought Super Hydorah (PS4/Vita Cross-Buy).
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:53 pm

:D Got my Christmas shopping done! I only had to buy for my 3 nieces. I got them each a DC Superhero Girls doll... a Supergirl, Wonder Woman and Starfire.

:cry: God, Kmart has gone downhill AF!
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:13 pm

samsonlonghair wrote:
bmoc wrote:Today I found out that Straight Talk is offering truly unlimited 4G LTE data at $55 a month. They advertise that streaming video may come in at DVD quality but that would be ok with me if there isn't much buffering involved. Streaming video on a 3Mbps connection can be painful at times. I am going to give this new plan a go on my current phone as a trial run next month. If it works well, I'm am going to buy another phone to leave at home in hotspot mode. I really hope this works out well and I am able to game online again.

Let me know how this works out. I'm currently in a similar situation. I've been shopping around for a 4G LTE data plan for my home. So far, I'm looking at T-Mobile, but that's not set in stone yet. I'd like to hear what you think about Straight Talk after you get hooked up.

I've had the unlimited plan for a few days now and speeds fluctuate between 12Mbps and 35 Mbps. The speed is going to vary greatly based on the tower you are using and its current usage. I'm using Straight Talk's Verizon SIM so I'm on the Verizon towers.

As for streaming video, the throttling varies from application. Youtube is throttled sometimes but Netflix doesn't appear to be. Using Netflix's speedtest, I am getting comparable results to Speedtest.net. If you read Straight Talk's terms of service, it says you can call in and disable the Data Optimizer for streaming video.

Depending on the Carrier network, Plans that come with high speed data also come automatically enabled with a feature that optimizes all detectable video streaming to DVD-quality (typically 480p) through the Carrier’s network ("Data Optimizer"). Data Optimizer manages the amount of high speed data used when streaming video on your phone in order to improve your experience by reducing the chances of your video stalling or buffering. You may disable the Data Optimizer feature at any time by contacting Customer Care. Video streaming over a Wi-Fi connection will be delivered at the video’s native resolution.

However, you aren't technically allowed to use a hotspot on your phone with Straight Talk. It is against the terms of service so I am not sure if I want to disable the Data Optimizer and draw attention to my account. Right now, using Straight Talk as my ISP is working a lot better than my 3Mbps DSL connection - streaming and all. If the quality of service stays in the 12-35 Mbps range for the next few weeks, I am probably going to stick with them.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

by samsonlonghair Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:51 pm

bmoc wrote:
samsonlonghair wrote:
bmoc wrote:Today I found out that Straight Talk is offering truly unlimited 4G LTE data at $55 a month. They advertise that streaming video may come in at DVD quality but that would be ok with me if there isn't much buffering involved. Streaming video on a 3Mbps connection can be painful at times. I am going to give this new plan a go on my current phone as a trial run next month. If it works well, I'm am going to buy another phone to leave at home in hotspot mode. I really hope this works out well and I am able to game online again.

Let me know how this works out. I'm currently in a similar situation. I've been shopping around for a 4G LTE data plan for my home. So far, I'm looking at T-Mobile, but that's not set in stone yet. I'd like to hear what you think about Straight Talk after you get hooked up.

I've had the unlimited plan for a few days now and speeds fluctuate between 12Mbps and 35 Mbps. The speed is going to vary greatly based on the tower you are using and its current usage. I'm using Straight Talk's Verizon SIM so I'm on the Verizon towers.

As for streaming video, the throttling varies from application. Youtube is throttled sometimes but Netflix doesn't appear to be. Using Netflix's speedtest, I am getting comparable results to Speedtest.net. If you read Straight Talk's terms of service, it says you can call in and disable the Data Optimizer for streaming video.

Depending on the Carrier network, Plans that come with high speed data also come automatically enabled with a feature that optimizes all detectable video streaming to DVD-quality (typically 480p) through the Carrier’s network ("Data Optimizer"). Data Optimizer manages the amount of high speed data used when streaming video on your phone in order to improve your experience by reducing the chances of your video stalling or buffering. You may disable the Data Optimizer feature at any time by contacting Customer Care. Video streaming over a Wi-Fi connection will be delivered at the video’s native resolution.

However, you aren't technically allowed to use a hotspot on your phone with Straight Talk. It is against the terms of service so I am not sure if I want to disable the Data Optimizer and draw attention to my account. Right now, using Straight Talk as my ISP is working a lot better than my 3Mbps DSL connection - streaming and all. If the quality of service stays in the 12-35 Mbps range for the next few weeks, I am probably going to stick with them.

This is a quality followup, bmoc! Thank you so much. :D
I'm going to show your post to my fiancé too. I think we will be looking at setting up new service after we pay off a few bills.
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:15 pm

Glad to help. One other thing to consider is that most phones cap out at 8 connections to the hotspot feature. If you need more connections then you will need to setup some sort of bridge to another access point.

I have an old Linksys Wi-Fi router laying around and which has DD-WRT firmware installed. I'm using it in Client Mode to feed my Ethernet connections with internet from the hotspot (and subsequently a better access point which covers the whole house). https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/C ... e_Wireless
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

by samsonlonghair Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:30 pm

bmoc wrote:Glad to help. One other thing to consider is that most phones cap out at 8 connections to the hotspot feature. If you need more connections then you will need to setup some sort of bridge to another access point.

I have an old Linksys Wi-Fi router laying around and which has DD-WRT firmware installed. I'm using it in Client Mode to feed my Ethernet connections with internet from the hotspot (and subsequently a better access point which covers the whole house). https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/C ... e_Wireless

I'm glad you mentioned that. I'm looking into a few options along those lines. I'm not sure if any of my routers support DD-WRT or not. I may not need to go that route, because I have a wi-fi repeater with ethernet out already handy. I think that's all I'm going to need. I have a few different options; one of them is sure to work.

By the way, which cell phone are you using with your straight talk account?
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever