Page 2768 of 3458

Re: What Made you Smile/What Ticked you off Today?

Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:32 am
by Luke
I understand all of that, and keep in mind I have trust issues, but why would a kid get a "grade" and why do parents take kids to get their kids weighed and measured, and pay hundreds for it?

Do parents of fat kids need confirmation that they have fat kids? Same with skinny kids.

Maybe they do. But it should be as easy as looking at your kid to know if he's chubby and short.

Maybe not.

I dunno. It seems like the USDA grading kids, which is unnecessary and could cause psychological damage. Common sense is common, and averages are average. Putting a number on something that can't be predicted simply seems incredibly stupid.

Also possible I'm stupid, but I have found no proof that these indicators are worth a damn. It's doctor's telling parent's how great their kids are.

Re: What Made you Smile/What Ticked you off Today?

Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:36 am
by prfsnl_gmr
Luke wrote:Also possible I'm stupid, but I have found no proof that these indicators are worth a damn. It's doctor's telling parent's how great their kids are.


Not really. Doctors do use the information to chart childrens' growth and to make sure that they are developing properly. For example, my daughter, as an infant, was in the 50-60th percentile for height and weight, but later dropped to the 30-40th percentile. This was cause for concern, and we monitored her for a while after that to make sure that she kept growing on pace. (She did.)

Re: What Made you Smile/What Ticked you off Today?

Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:37 am
by MrPopo
Luke, you're forgetting that the first thing that happens when you have a kid is you become utterly stupid for everything involving your kid.

Re: What Made you Smile/What Ticked you off Today?

Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:44 am
by BoneSnapDeez
I swear those childhood percentages are bullshit. I hang out with MILFs all week and every single one has a child in the "99%."

Oh except my daughter. She ranks in the 1% at every check-up.

Re: What Made you Smile/What Ticked you off Today?

Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:50 am
by mjmjr25
prfsnl_gmr wrote:
Luke wrote:Also possible I'm stupid, but I have found no proof that these indicators are worth a damn. It's doctor's telling parent's how great their kids are.


Not really. Doctors do use the information to chart childrens' growth and to make sure that they are developing properly. For example, my daughter, as an infant, was in the 50-60th percentile for height and weight, but later dropped to the 30-40th percentile. This was cause for concern, and we monitored her for a while after that to make sure that she kept growing on pace. (She did.)

Exactly...and sadly this information is needed for some parents who don't understand (or care to understand) about nutrition. Often these indicators early on will help to change diets. If it's genetic, then no harm no foul. However, in many cases, the size of the child, large or small, can be traced back to what the parents are putting in, or are not putting in to their children.

Re: What Made you Smile/What Ticked you off Today?

Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:54 am
by BogusMeatFactory
BoneSnapDeez wrote:I swear those childhood percentages are bullshit. I hang out with MILFs all week and every single one has a child in the "99%."

Oh except my daughter. She ranks in the 1% at every check-up.


I don't know why in the world a person would be excited that their baby is in the 99th percentile. That means their baby overly fat/long/giant head.

My baby is long, skinny and has a huge head, I'm not bragging about it, because why in the world would I think that this is more important than other people. Someone was like, "My baby's weight is in the 98th percentile," that just means your baby weighs more than 98 percent of babies. That's not a good thing!

The percentiles aren't important versus the overall health of the baby. Sure they can be used to help understand if something is wrong, acting as evidence for symptoms, but they aren't the spotlight. They don't mean anything really.

Like I said, my baby has an egregiously large head and is insanely long, but what does that mean about my baby's development/health/overall happiness... nothing.

My wife has a friend who had a baby 10 days after us and she is like, "Scientific evidence proves that babies with larger heads are smarter." Ummm... you are a nurse and you are talking about Phrenology, which isn't REAL!

Re: What Made you Smile/What Ticked you off Today?

Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:57 am
by fastbilly1
MrPopo wrote:Where are people living that houses are sub 100k?

South of Nashville, not in the rich county. I can get a decent starter house in a good neighborhood (2 bed 1.5 bath on .2 acre) with a 40 minute commute to downtown for 80k. Or you could buy a lot of land (5 acres) for 50k, and build a house on it at a short distance.

If you push up to 150k, there are plenty of houses in all areas.

Re: What Made you Smile/What Ticked you off Today?

Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:01 pm
by prfsnl_gmr
The average home price in my neighborhhod has skyrocketed in recent years to $432,450. This will be great when I sell my home, but it makes it very hard to move within my neighborhood.

Re: What Made you Smile/What Ticked you off Today?

Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:05 pm
by fastbilly1
We were on the rise, 300k average up, then we were rezoned for middle schools. Overnight, we dropped 100k. Went from the best middle school in the county to the worst.

Re: What Made you Smile/What Ticked you off Today?

Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:12 pm
by prfsnl_gmr
fastbilly1 wrote:We were on the rise, 300k average up, then we were rezoned for middle schools. Overnight, we dropped 100k. Went from the best middle school in the county to the worst.


Ouch. We are actually zoned for some pretty terrible public schools. (They are getting a lot better, however.) I can only imagine what home prices here would do if my neighborhood fed into some great ones.